• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Please support PixelBender in CS6/CC

LEGEND ,
May 27, 2012 May 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why pn earth would Adobe drop this hugely successful and uniqe set of plug-ins/filters! I know a lot of people are very unhappy about this. I really hope Adobe changes its mind and comes out with an upgrade/patch to fix this problem.

Idea Declined
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Oct 01, 2021 Oct 01, 2021

Photoshop no longer supports Pixel Bender.

Status Declined

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Apr 02, 2013 Apr 02, 2013
FYI - Legacy downloads for the Pixel Bender plug-in that are compatible with Photoshop CS4, Photoshop CS5 (12.0) and Photoshop CS5 (12.1) have been relocated from Adobe Labs and consolidated here:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/pixelbend...

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Jun 22, 2012 Jun 22, 2012
Thank you all for your interest in and enthusiasm for Pixel Bender. Pixel Bender has been offered in the past on Adobe Labs as a technology preview. As of CS6, we're no longer providing Pixel Bender as a Labs technology. Photoshop CS6 has taken the Pixel Bender filter most popular with customers, Oil Paint, and turned it into an official feature in CS6. Photoshop CS6 no longer supports Pixel Bender for 3rd party development.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 211 Replies 211
211 Comments
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2013 Feb 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would think that all that Adobe has to do is copy/paste the code from the OilPaint filter in PixelBender into the wrecked version that is in CS6, and job done.

The differences between the OilPaint filter in CS5.5 and CS6 are clear and obvious, and should not need anyone to send examples - all anyone has to do is open the two versions and look at them. There are sliders in the original version that are missing in the new one, and Adobe added a "texture" slider that completely changes the visual effect of the filter from the original.

What is most puzzling to me is, when it was determined that the OilPaint filter was valuable enough to bring into the main app, why it was then changed to be something totally different. [And much less useful.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as "user testing" and "data on slider use" - from the reactions on this thread, I think it is obvious that neither was attempted.
We don't want or need the OilPaint filter to be made "more powerful" - we only need it to do what it did before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solved, or at least somewhat solved, I just upgraded to PS6 and used the OilPaint filter in there, its OK. But as you say, its not what the old PB one was.
But it will have to be good enough for me for the time being.
Thank you for all your help and information!
I shall sign off for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Mar 17, 2013 Mar 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed that some third party coders were able to implement a After Effects Plug-in that can run PixelBender Kernels, I wonder is such thing is possible on the Photoshop side of the house: http://aescripts.com/pixel-bender-ker...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 17, 2013 Mar 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If they can read the PixelBender language and execute it correctly - then sure, it is possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 02, 2013 Apr 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI - Legacy downloads for the Pixel Bender plug-in that are compatible with Photoshop CS4, Photoshop CS5 (12.0) and Photoshop CS5 (12.1) have been relocated from Adobe Labs and consolidated here:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/pixelbend...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 02, 2013 Apr 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was very nice of them Jeffrey, however when I downloaded and installed it in my CS4 it doesn't contain Oil Paint which was the best part of PB, IMHO.. Too bad Adobe has chosen not to give us the original....

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 03, 2013 Apr 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason, I still couldnt get it to install, many error messages, tried both my Macs with different versions of PS on them. Nothing,,,,,,
But I did buy PS6, and it has Oil Paint filter built into it.
I wonder why Pixel Bender is so elusive, I think they are just teasing us.
Maybe to get us all to buy PS6? Anyway thats what I did.
Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane, if you read the entire chain of comments on this post, you will see they are not teasing us. It's not even a bad joke. It's just bad form 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think that oil paint was added till cs5:

http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2010/06/...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dan, that's correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 04, 2013 Apr 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its indeed sad, Im thinking of all the things that Adobe does perfectly, and they can't really make us happy with Pixel Bender.

In the meantime, we all can use PS6.

So come on Adobe, fix PB, we all know you can do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 04, 2013 Dec 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Went to PS CC and no pixel Bender. I am hugely disappointed!
A little angry too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 10, 2014 Feb 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hope Adobe RETHINKS!!! their policy and continue supporting Artists and Creatives around the World!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 24, 2014 Apr 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys, I'm trying to get Pixelbender on Photoshop CC, but it doesn't seem to be working. The oil paint filter on CC doesn't cut it in comparison to the original Pixelbender oil paint. Cheers , Steve J.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Apr 24, 2014 Apr 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you have access to CS5 or CS4 use PB there and then bring that into CC

I realize this is not the answer you were looking for but since PB is not going to be updated this is the only solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 26, 2014 Apr 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No worries, thanks for your prompt answer. Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 05, 2014 May 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Now a Plug-in to execute Pixel Bender in Photoshop CS6 or CC is released:

Pixel Bender Accelerator for Photoshop

Please try it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 06, 2014 May 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm extremely happy to see that I'll be able to use Pixel Bender again. But the installation documents are rather intimidating for someone like me. There are instructions for downloading a toolkit and running some kind of check before using the PB filter, and another download for a fix it kit. I want to make sure I'm not downloading anything that is going to mess with system. I've got a brand new iMac with an i7 processor and Nvidea GTX. graphics card. Can I simply drop the plug-in file into the PS CC plug-in folder and start using it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, and specify the directory that contains the Pixel Bender filters.
(You will be required to specify for the first time. Or select from Menu button shown in the movie.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So - it's allowed to post advertisements here for commercial products not created by Adobe, and that in fact compete with it? Interesting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just installed it - and am very disappointed. First of all, where's the oil paint filter that was in the previous version? (The one that Photoshop added in CS6 is no where near as good as the previous Pixel Bender paint filter).
And secondly, none of the parameter controls shown on your video appear when I chose one of the filters. the side panel is just blank. And none of the keyboard keys (S, R, F, etc.) work either. I don't know if it's a compatibility issue with my Mac, or what, but the PB filter I downloaded is pretty much useless. If there's something I can do to correct the problems, please let me know. Otherwise I'll just uninstall it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>where's the oil paint filter
This plugin just supports loading Pixel Bender filters.
So you need to prepare Pixel Bender file yourself.

>And secondly ...
It seems some problem with Pixel Bender filter.
Could you send me (koizumim83@gmail.com) the Pixel Bender files?
Then let me know your OS version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 16, 2014 May 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am able to partially install but when i open the plugin PBAccl... there is no further sub menus. I double click the Menu icon and "select directory" but am not sure where i'm supposed to go. Under the filters icon there are no options. I have tried with both my graphics processor on and off- neither works it seems, any suggestions? i have an i-7 64 bit 8gb toshiba notebook with NVIDA Ge Force GT540m

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 16, 2014 May 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At first, make a directory, and put pixel bender filters in the directory, manually.
And, select that directory.
Then, the filters in the directory appear in filter menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate