• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Provide support for Linux (2011)

LEGEND ,
Apr 27, 2011 Apr 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wondering if Adobe released any Photoshop versions for Linux? Because I looked everywhere in Adobe's site but I could not find any information.

Idea Declined
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 01, 2021 Oct 01, 2021

We currently have no plans to build a version of Photoshop for Linux.

Status Declined

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 666 Replies 666
666 Comments
LEGEND ,
Jan 09, 2012 Jan 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.! I am an Italian Ubuntu user, I know i was thinking maybe That it be fantastic have Adobe programs for Linux for me, but Also for the Linux community.
Given the rise of Linux users, It Might Also be useful for your Interests.

Probably I am neither the first nor the last to tell you this, but I think it's useful to tell you the same.

Greetings
Andrea Gallons kingokongo46@gmail.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 18, 2012 Jan 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'am a German Linux User with different Distributions. I searched a while to see if there is a new Status on Adobe Products under Linux (ecp. PS)

I've added this reply pnly to show my Support!

The Argument Linux User want Pay for Software isnt correct i think.
have a look at the HumbleIndieBundles!" Linux User mostly payed the doubled prices of Win and Mac Users. I think one of the reasons is Linux User have alternatives that doesnt cost anything and have the choice if they buy a paid software or use a free one.

It would be interresting to know how many flash and acrobat-reader linux version where downloaded. this would give evtl. a good value of how many linux desktop are really out there.

btw. i started Digital Photography. at the moment i would purchase a copy of PS / LR.
till then i use free tools under Linux. maybe they get better and a purchase isnt nesseseray anymore! 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just read the "PhotoShop For Linux ?" thread from the old feature request forum. Adobe's survey data suggested that the majority of linux users were not willing to purchase professional software. Has Adobe since gathered user data since the release of Ubuntu Software Center, which allows developers to charge for their software? If so, are users more willing to pay for professional software now that there is a platform for it on Linux?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, we have gathered more user data. Nope, it hasn't changed the market in a measurable way. There still is no significant market for commercial desktop software on Linux. Linux use is growing, but MacOS and Windows are growing much faster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a checklist somewhere of all of the obstacles that Linux faces before it is a viable platform in terms of software? I read somewhere that font and color were big problems, but is that it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no one, comprehensive checklist that I know of. But yes, lack of standards and lack of system provisions for things that should be system wide (like fonts and color) are stumbling blocks. They can be overcome, but the OS really should already have standards and handling for things like that. (and "pick the window manager of the month" doesn't help, either)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that because each element of the system is designed and developed by different entities, the software doesn't have a chance to fully mature before the next project comes into popular use by most distros.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gimp, Chrome, Firefox, OpenOffice/LibreOffice, and most of the software I use every day works equally well on Windows, Mac, and every major Linux desktop distribution. I currently pay significant money for IntelliJ IDEA and Crashplan on Linux, and they also support all of those operating systems. If they can do it, why can't Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe could do it. But the software you mention was either developed on Linux (or other Unix) first or developed concurrently on multiple platforms. Adobe has a much higher hurdle to face by porting PS & LR.
But the real answer is simpler: there's not enough money in it, especially when many of the people who would like to see these products running on Linux are currently running them on Windows or Mac. So if they're already paying customers, what's the point? Plus when you're making literally billions of dollars a year, what's the point of even worrying about a small market segment?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you being sarcastic, or really trying to compare those applications to something as complex as Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Chris Cox
Chris, I agree photoshop is a complex program, and I think paul archer makes a good point that alot of software for linux is originally made for linux or developed concurrently. And while the examples of paid software for linux that Glen gave may or may not be as complex as photoshop, surely there are quite a few pieces of software that are. Take for Maya for instance by autodesk, and Avid makes quite a few programs available on linux as well.

Oh well though, I'm not even sure it's worth pushing for anymore to be honest, I recently sucked it up and bought cs5.5 for my mac before my student pricing ran out. Maybe someday my dreams of linux and adobe will come true. If not, there's always Blender (in place of after effects), inkscape, gimp, and scribus, while the last 3 are not as good as their adobe equivilants, I could make do with them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Chris: I don't know if you're asking me or Glen, but while I agree that PS is pretty complex, I don't think that Gimp, Firefox, OpenOffice, etc are *not* complex.
I don't really think it's a matter of complexity, so much as it is a matter of coding practices that avoid, as much as possible, OS-specific code, hooks, and APIs.

As far as your earlier comment that there is "no significant market for commercial software on Linux..." That really needs to be amended. There may or may not be a market for commercial *image editing* software (and there are some commercial NLE video editors on Linux, so I would go with "may"), but there is plenty of commecial software on Linux. Well, shucky darn (can't say "he77" here, jeez), my company pays big bucks (in the $100k range) every year to Oracle, which we run exclusively on Linux.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you've hit on gold here. If your development team were to make it a goal from now on to use "coding practices that avoid, as much as possible, OS-specific code, hooks, and APIs" it would put you in a better position to take advantage of future OS platforms as they come along and it would make it more likely that we'll see a Linux port someday. Who knows, the next major OS might even be Linux-based. If you count phones, I would say that it already is (Android).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@paul: There is a market on Linux for server software. Just not so much for desktop software (I should have been more specific).

And Photoshop is few orders of magnitude more complex than the apps you first listed. Yes, the lack of standards and problems with APIs on Linux can be overcome -- if you have a market that makes it worth the hassle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that there is a vicious cycle occurring here. Linux (or "Linux/GNU", to be a stickler about this) doesn't have the market to support large companies supporting the operating system, and the market isn't there because the user doesn't have all of the software he/she may need in their workflow (photoshop, 3dsmax to name a few).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 31, 2012 Jan 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, how about this - start a campaign wherein you have something like Kickstarter, so you can assess the number of people who'd buy Photoshop for Linux and accordingly, you could decide whether you want to port or not.

One of the major roadblocks in desktop Linux adoption is the lack of Photoshop for it. You guys make it, and you can be sure that there will be a huge upsurge in the number of Linux users (as well as Photoshop users.)

These aren't people who are covered under your market surveys and "are not willing to pay for software" but rather Windows and Mac OSX users who are sick and tired of those platforms and really want to switch to Linux. Do it. They'll love you more. And pay you more, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 01, 2012 Feb 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you said certainly reflects the truth ..

I am a new linux user, from about one year, i was bored about Widnows and IOS,
not enough freedom, we want more, Linux is a new world in respect of operative systems, linux users are more likely to pay for programs.

I would not have problems to buy an original Photoshop, linux user are are happy to reward good distribuitions of programs..!

Sorry for my english, i am Italian ! ;)

Regards Andrea !!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 04, 2012 Mar 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

we want photoshop for linux! give us updates on https://getsatisfaction.com/adobe/top... last official response is 10 months ago!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could that request possibly have been expressed more politely?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well looks like you'll have some real "market research" from that other company
because their releasing a LightRoom like application for linux (not free).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 13, 2012 Apr 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

12,534 responses in http://gsfn.us/t/2n2ux . .. How many interested clients you need more to say is a too small request?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 24, 2012 May 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As many other posts and questions have stated, Adobe software needs to be ported to Linux.

There have been forum threads and ideas voted upon and haven't amounted to anything, with a common excuse of "Linux users don't want to pay for software" which is completely false. Take a look at EVERY Humble Indie Bundle and look at what group paid the most for their software.

Adobe doesn't want to invest into this because they don't think there is a market for it. Users don't want to purchase Adobe software that doesn't run on their OS, so it's just a vicious cycle.

The solution is quite easy. Start a Kickstarter (or equivalent) campaign already. This way if you can't get the funding you need, then you don't have to commit any developers' time.

To make this more effective, start with a single product instead of the entire suite. I would recommend you start with Photoshop as it would grab the most attention.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 26, 2012 May 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your point is excellent! The Kickstarter idea is quite good and it will really show Adobe if it's worth the work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 30, 2012 May 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

me as a web developer and templater have the problem, that i develop web applications on Linux. The designer uses Photoshop on Windows to create the designs for the webpages.
It would be mind blowing to get Photoshop run on Linux operating system, to fill the big gap between the designers and the people that are actually realise there ideas. In this time i have to switch between the two operating systems to cut the design into little parts and switch to Linux to get them all into the final webpage.
This is not only a workflow problem, but also can be very frustrating, if you forget something important and have to switch over to windows again.

Greetings from Germany

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 31, 2012 May 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i love to could use illustrator on GNU/Linux, it's the only software i use on windows (with some other cs products)

please make a linux versin of adobe CS :)

cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate