• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Provide support for Linux (2011)

LEGEND ,
Apr 27, 2011 Apr 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wondering if Adobe released any Photoshop versions for Linux? Because I looked everywhere in Adobe's site but I could not find any information.

Idea Declined Locked
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 01, 2021 Oct 01, 2021

We currently have no plans to build a version of Photoshop for Linux.

Status Declined

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 659 Replies 659
659 Comments
LEGEND ,
Jun 12, 2012 Jun 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm here because Apple removed the 17 inch laptop without telling us professionals a thing about it. Apple has become an unstable company for professionals and I need to switch to Linux because I trust Microsoft even less than I do Apple.

Adobe, it's time for you to be revolutionary again. Bring Creative Suite to Linux and we will purchase it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 16, 2012 Jul 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Linux is a great platform that makes better use of properly configured hardware than either Windows or OSX, yet an application that would seriously benefit from that doesn't take advantage of the Linux platform. In a time when many game makers are starting to look in Linux's direction, and the travesty that is Windows 8 threatens to derail Microsoft's desktop dominance, now would be the perfect time to bring Photoshop to Linux.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 20, 2012 Jul 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about this, Adobe ... Photoshop Elements 10 is very close to running with the WINE compatibility layer, but there are still enough problems with the installation to keep even veteran users away (pros will want a package that installs and runs as smoothly as it would under Windows). Furthermore, PSE10 tends to crash when certain tools are selected. See http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager... for a list of current problems.
Now if Adobe would just commit resources to ensure that PSE10 and CS6 (which also has a "silver" rating) run as expected, you would never have to worry about porting these application to another platform, and you would most definitely help boost sales. My point is, work with WINE and watch your sales grow. And it'll be cheaper than re-writing the app.
There are many ways you can approach this: provide patches for existing software so they may run under WINE, or better yet work with the WINE devs so that they can change their program to better accomodate Photoshop. This could easily be done in less than three months if you just say you'll do it.
Sure, VMware and Virtualbox are sure bets to run anything- but you need to load the whole **** OS and pre-allocate resources. This isn't always good for mobile computers or the typical desktop (I don't care how efficient they came to be).

I already own a version of PSE but will not be buying a new one if it doesn't find a way to run under Linux.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 26, 2012 Jul 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been waiting for years for Photoshop and now Lightroom to come to Linux. But all I keep seeing is this Chris Cox employee shooting down the idea based on market research. Dan Tull seems to make a good point that in looking at the research on WINE requests for support Photoshop is #1 in applications and software excluding games. You look on here about photographers telling their story and how much we want to use Linux and Adobe products.

With Windows 8 around the corner and how terribly crappy it looks for Windows professional power users I can only imagine that more and more photographers and creative professionals will be looking to change OS.

I also hate to see the argument that there are too many flavors of Linux out there. Pick one and support it only. I think there would be an agreement of Ubuntu for the Linux OS of choice. If you told a linux user if they had to use Ubuntu they could get their Photoshop and Lightroom to work I am 99.9% sure they would be okay with that.

Add me to the marketing research that says I would pay for Adobe products on Linux.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jul 26, 2012 Jul 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quote: » But all I keep seeing is this Chris Cox employee shooting down the idea based on market research.«
Check out Photoshop’s splash screen to verify he is an employee who probably knows very well what he is talking about when he talks Photoshop.
I guess some of his colleagues may not be inclined to bother and communicate with so many consumers directly, but that he takes the time to (again and again) comment on this issue seems rather accommodating of him.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 01, 2012 Aug 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are moving from Windows to ubuntu..we are group of graphic desiger extensive users of adobe product. I hope adobe will think porting its software to Linux environment...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 05, 2012 Aug 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have my own web agency and would love if you ported photoshop to linux.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 07, 2012 Aug 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lack of photoshop on linux is the only thing keeping me on windows at this point. Everything else I want is already there. Adobe, why not start a kickstarter or indiegogo campaign to fund a port? It woud be a much more accurate indicator of the community than any market research and you don't have to start or pay for development until you get the dollar amount you set. Just my 2 cents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 08, 2012 Aug 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to show support for Linux, and prove that it is a platform that Adobe can succeed on with products like Photoshop, support Steam for Linux! If Adobe sees that Steam is successful and profitable, perhaps they will be convinced that Photoshop could succeed as well.

Valve's Linux blog:
http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/linux/

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I intend too. I've been waiting patiently. Steam on linux is icing on my cake. Gauging the support of linux through steam is a good step. A kickstarter or indiegogo campaign lets users directly put their money where their mouth is and should be very attractive to Adobe since they would not have to pay for the development themselves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming they don't set a ridiculous amount for their goal and pledge levels that is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

they are now favorite for Microsoft and Apple is against their products.
so why not they are trying to port it Linux...

we are migrating lots of Desktop to ubuntu...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Read Chris Cox's comments above, and you'll see why Adobe is trepidacious ( to say the least) with bringing a product like Photoshop to Linux. For a TL;DR,

1) Unproven market. No evidence to really show that Linux users will pay for professional software. Porting Photoshop to Linux is no small task, and Adobe would need substantial evidence that a profit could be made by porting Photoshop over to Linux.

2) Unstable desktop environment. GNOME 3 is a...controversial desktop, and new forks pop up every other month. The tools just aren't standardized (or mature, in some cases) enough to be used for something like Photoshop.

3) User mentality. This ties into point 1, but Linux users are not used to/philosophically opposed to proprietary software that costs money. Ever since I switched to Linux, I've always asked the question "What open source program can I use to do the same thing I would do in a program I would pay for?" I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

#1: I pay for several programs that I run on Linux including CrashPlan and IntelliJ IDEA. I also pay for Windows, which I need, in order to run my full-price-paid copy of Photoshop on Linux, meaning that I'm paying extra, right now, to run Photoshop on my Linux desktop (albeit in a virtual Windows machine). I am currently holding off on purchasing Finale (another $600 product) because it will not run on Linux and running it in a virtual machine is a pain.

#2: The GTK+ toolkit works on all desktop environments (Windows, Mac, Linux) and has for over a decade. Granted, it would be a huge undertaking for Adobe to switch. But they would rid themselves of their Microsoft ball-and-chain. I'm sure they are rapidly updating their software to "work" with Windows 8 right now - as much as anything can work with Windows 8 (remember Vista anyone?). The one hang-up here might be the GPL and distributing the GTK+ code separately. Hmm... I think there was a recent court ruling that you couldn't copyright or maybe patent an interface, so desigining a tookit based on the GTK interface would at least be a starting point... It could be done under the Apache license, to maybe leverage some crowd-sourcing, but that's not a silver bullet either - still lots of work. I might have to cede point #2 to you for now. But the fact that the GTK has cracked this nut for so long means it's crackable. Open-source provides as much a resource (in the form of testing and even coding under a proprietary-code-friendly license such as Apache 2.0) as it may take away in profit from the Everything-Is-Free-Beer mentality of some users. It's a double-edged sword.

#3: I think the Linux user scene is changing. Less and less technical people are using it, many who couldn't care less about Free Software. If you consider Android to be Linux, then the fact that it has the largest share of the phone OS market and that smart-phones have already overtaken desktop sales, means that most people are using Linux now, often as their primary OS.

My assumption is that Adobe have seen the writing on the wall and are working on Linux compatibility as we speak. But then, I always thought they supported Windows because it was the most popular operating system and am just assuming they will continue to support whatever the most popular OS may be. Heck, Microsoft themselves are porting one of their flagship products, Office, to the web so that it can presumably be accessed equally well from any OS. It's the first Microsoft product I've looked forward to paying for in a long, long time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1) Really the only recent info would be the Humble Bundles. It's been proven time and time again that Linux users are willing to pay more. But mind you this is only ~$15. I do believe that Steam will prove to be a success and that it may sway Adobe's mind. OSX is really BSD plus a microkernel plus their proprietary API, etc. Porting would not be as big of a deal as you may think. I don't think the devs would actually mind working on this, it's probably just investors not wanting to do this, or I could be wrong and they could all be Mac fanboys. [Not saying Apple makes you a fanboy]

2) They really should use Qt. It's crossplatform and very extensible. It works great across all Desktop environments. Using something like Qt would make this point completely invalid.

3) This may be the case for personal use, but for people/businesses who use this software for a profit, there really are features that open-source software, as good as it is, are missing.

On a completely different note. I think many applications should adopt a new model. Release the base application with only Core features for a lower price, and promote extra plugins at a cost. This would also allow independent devs a platform to generate revenue, and would allow novice users to start using a higher end piece of software without having to shell out $700. I do think this would also decrease the amount of piracy there would be against applications. Obviously not eliminate, but would have an impact.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steam ? why support steam to have phosotshop and illustrator ??
Steam is for video, personnally i never do any video, then ...

i think this argument ridiculous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 09, 2012 Aug 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many companies I'm sure are thinking about Linux support, but don't want to be the ones to spend the money and take the risk. Valve is willing to do so. Steam is going to be the guage. If it's successful, other companies will follow. If it is not successful, many companies will move on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, if you want a gauge of how much your software is in demand for a particular platform, try a kickstarter or indiegogo fundraising campaign. Steam is not an accurate gauge and we already know that there is tremendous interest in it. Also, it's just games on steam for the time being though not much longer. Plus, a successful fundraising campaign can cover or significantly offset your dev costs where as looking at a successful steam port or paying for market research will not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do like paying only for features that I use type model.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with the Kickstarter or IndieGoGo campaign, that's what I'd do. I didn't mean that Steam would guage how well CS would do on Linux, but rather how companies will use Steam as guage whether a company could be successful on Linux or not. Do I think that's the right thing to do, no. But I'm sure that's how other companies will validate taking a stab at Linux or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah, I agree with you there. It will be interesting to see what happens with steam. Many of my games on steam already work on linux thanks to the humble bundles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 13, 2012 Aug 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just learned that Photoshop is programed in Qt (http://qt.nokia.com/qt-in-use/story/a....
Since Qt is multi-platform, why can't Adobe just offer a Linux version of Elements, maybe by promoting via the HumbleBundle (http://www.humblebundle.com/)?
That would be absolutely thrilling!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 13, 2012 Aug 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who knows if or when Adobe will port Photoshop / Elements to Linux. The GIMP is not currently a subsititute for either of these programs (although 16-bits per channel editing is on it's way in GIMP ... a while from now, maybe not until version 3).
As things stand you can get Corel Aftershot Pro (which is a re-branded Bibble) for your workflow (it handles many RAW, and JPEG and TIFF images as input) and use it in conjunction with ImageMagick (if necessary). Aftershot Pro is available in 32- and 64- bits RPM and DEB formats at the Corel website. Registration cost me $55. ImageMagick is free and available in nearly all distro's repositories.
I'm just starting out with Ubuntu Linux so I haven't really any experiences to relate. But from the many tidbits I found on Google, it appears to be doing excellent service for many photographers who choose Linux.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 19, 2012 Sep 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a heads up, Adobe. You guys might want to start supporting Linux, like you should have done years ago. GIMP development is picking up. Without a crystal ball, its not too hard to guess that the growing user base of Linux users stuck with GIMP and no Photoshop (unless you count buggy WINE) is going to cause the demand for GIMP to increase. You've already lost your Flash market. If you don't want to start losing small portions of Photohop user, you'll port to Linux before they start migrating to GIMP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 25, 2012 Sep 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop on Linux, many questions, let see if we can get a solution.
Lets make a pre-sale event where linux user will be asked to purchase a "future release" of photoshop for linux they will insert real credit card information. A "budget expense" goal gets posted and if it gets reached, then the user will be charged and receive a email with download information and serial number. How does it sounds.

Votes

Translate

Translate