• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Rotatable pattern fills

LEGEND ,
Jul 05, 2011 Jul 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.I'm a 3D Artist in the games industry. I like to use patterns alot for texture overlays and such. I love the ability to pan the pattern, or just swap out the pattern for a new one and keep the same mask when somethings not working (I love masks too).One qwirk however, theres no ability to rotate them without collapsing the pattern fill to a layer and doing it manually. Breaking my non-destructive workflow and ruining what i love about patterns. I am sure it wouldn't be too hard a feature to add, seeing as the gradient fill layer already has an rotation/angle implemented. This would save time and also keep my PSD's nice and tidy.I made a handy little gif that switches between pattern fill currently, and what would be desireable.Thanks.Chevy McGoram

Image is not available

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020
This feature has been implemented in Photoshop 2020 (version 21.2) released yesterday June 15th, 2020. Enjoy! And let us know any feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate
75 Comments
Community Expert ,
Apr 29, 2012 Apr 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Chris for moving this here, i searched "rotate", and not "rotatable" 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 29, 2012 Apr 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i've asked for something like this in the past.
i want a "smart" pattern fill. for retouching clothes with patterns. I've had to reconstruct pinstriped suits - and its not fun.

I'd like a filter to take a sampled area - like a swatch of pinstripe - that doesn't have to be perfectly repeating and the "smart" pattern filter would make a perfect repeating pattern. This pattern could be used as a texture mask for retouching, could be rasterized into pixels and warped into place, etc.

so as for justification - this would benefit pro retouchers for sure.
anyone who works with fabrics.
and it could save alot of time.
i am constantly fixing poorly styled clothes - and alot of them have patterns and having a good master swatch pattern would be a big help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 02, 2012 Jul 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually just logged in to suggest this very thing.

For many things where a user wants a pattern fill layer style the only workaround is to create a new pattern at the desired angle.

For shapes it's easy enough to just dup a layer, apply the pattern fill, rotate the layer, then mask. But when applying a pattern fill to things like text (which will undoubtedly change later) multiple layers can be cumbersome to manage and re-mask should changes occur in the text.

The ability to simply set the angle of a pattern would not only cut down on the necessity to manage multiple layers with associated masks, but would also cut down on the amount of patterns needed to accomplish a given task. A user could have a straight, single pixel, vertical pattern then be able to use that one pattern tile for any single row pattern they wanted whether at 45°, 90°, 30° or whatever.

Since this is regarding pattern fills... I'd also love smart object patterns. Double click a pattern swatch and it opens in Illustrator for adjustment. I know, probably left field... but you never know until you say something 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 23, 2012 Jul 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please, make it possible to rotate patterns / pattern overlays in the layer styles. An easy thing to add, very handy for users. Otherwise you have to make numerous of patterns, in different angles. I hope this will be aviable in an upcoming update...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 23, 2012 Jul 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops, I didn't see the earlier suggetions for this. Sad to see that Adobe still didn't implement this simple thing.... I don't agree with Scot. Indeed, that's how it works today, but it is a waste of time doing it that way...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2012 Sep 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd really like the ability to rotate textures and patterns that are applied to my layers as live layer styles or fill layers. It would help to break up the repeating pattern in areas where it might be more noticeable (it's usually easier to spot when it's going straight across or vertically). Also, it means that I could use the same texture/pattern on different layers, but just rotating the texture a little bit could make it look like totally different from other layers using the same effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 26, 2012 Nov 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was looking for a way to do this and I came up with this forum. Im a UI designer and I work with patterns everyday. A good example is the image below. I wanted to create a wood pattern that could follow the same angle as the wood planks. Doing this manually is very time consuming and hard to edit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Feb 13, 2013 Feb 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also had in my mind this feature so often. I have also done that kind of wood textures as Diego show'd at the previous post. The best I could do was to create the pattern as a smart object, create clipping mask and then rotate, but I think its not the best way since editing smart objects is not so intuitive workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 16, 2013 Aug 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would also love to have this function in Photoshop! I do it all the time in AI. I work with textile print designs in the fashion industry and often need to create mockups of my work for pre-press catalogs and for pre-line presentations and it would be great if along with the existing ability to shift the pattern laterally and vertically there was an option to rotate the pattern too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 24, 2014 Jan 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work at a landscape architecture firm and we make highly detailed rendered plan illustrations. For things such as paving patterns, roof canopies etc, using patterns is great because it keeps file sizes low but provides a great deal of detail. However, paving patterns, etc. rotate with the building orientations, road alignments etc. Keeping these as a pattern and layer style allows them to be easily edited. Please, please implement a function to rotate patterns.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Apr 01, 2014 Apr 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, i created some fast moqup about how i would like to use the blending options and specially the pattern feature. Feel free to edit the picture if you have some better ideas.

Sorry about the finnish language in the picture.

The features i am asking is:
-Rotating the pattern.
-Changing patterns perspective by numeric or manually. Scaling widths and
heights of the pattern. In my moqup there is not those number fields, but it should include these.
-Zoom button that helps scaling it manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 06, 2014 May 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still have no idea why it has not been implemented yet. We have angle adjustments for almost every subtypes of layer styles, this is just inconsistent.

Like the previous artists mentionned, it destroy the non-destructive design flow which is supposed to be the most important point about photoshop which brought the layering in the first place, and it is time consuming to modify the pattern or to create a shape with the correct pattern and mask every time for such a simple task.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
May 06, 2014 May 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»I still have no idea why it has not been implemented yet. «
25 people added their support to the request – that’s not that impressive, I suppose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 07, 2014 May 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah well, it would have to be multiplied by a certain amount, only a very small percentage of us actually tries to get the software less buggy / more polished and move over here to do so.

I did not even know that button existed either, you can add that factor to the calculus as well I guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 04, 2014 Jul 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey how about adding the darn feature because one person suggested it... you don't have to be a brain surgeon to see the benefit of rotating a pattern....I mean Come on Adobe... especially for Photoshop ..without this feature I stand to lose a side job worth about 7 grand.... so thanks !!! ...perhaps it is time to shop around for 3rd party... 4th 5th even 6th party....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»Hey how about adding the darn feature because one person suggested it...«
Are you complaining that a feature that does not exist threatens to cost you a job and thus money but want Adobe to invest their resources into implementing all feature requests any one user makes?

»you don't have to be a brain surgeon to see the benefit of rotating a pattern«
Has anyone contested the benefit?
But you seem to be neglecting (or unable/unwilling to appreciate) the effort and cost of implementing the feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Christoph, Thank you for your reply and your points are well taken and duly noted.
First ... my comment stems from not the lack of the feature... but the comment from a power to be requesting the public outcry so as to justify the features existence.

Am I wrong or in appropriate in any way suggesting the NEED for the ability to fine tune the powerful ability that comes with the insertion of a pattern, would my complaint be any more acceptable if I were un able to scale that pattern... I think not.. it just seems almost forgotten about... perhaps you are not a designer and or even an avid user of the program....

and although ultimately it is not Adobe's fault ... but the fact is...due to the inability for me to accurately make better use of the Patterns used in my project...YES I will be losing my consideration for this project..which strangely by the way... was not completed by 3 previous designers.... as it would appear that this missing and or over looked feature is the killing point to create a more accurate polished "real-Like" rendering.

As for my assumed disregard for the effort and or cost of implementing such a feature.. (again not rocket science... the same feature is evident in several other locations in the app. I of coarse do not know what the costs are and can only assume that great effort is utilized throughout.

In the end I am but a mortal compared to the kings and Queens that make my life possible... I apologize for sounding off... but again... I was merely responding to the comment, requesting for validation to consider such a feature.

Jerry Rice

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And neglecting the thousands of feature requests we receive from millions of users -- they can't all be implemented instantly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cris Cox and Photoshop Family....I am not trying to get into a spitting match here... and I am not expecting an instant response form adobe.... forgetting the fact that the initial request followed by multiple other requests for the same is well over 2 years old... or the fact that the same feature already exist in a few other locations already (I know i assume that simply adding it elsewhere is easy) I know it is not.

BUT ONCE again ....my initial comment was in reply to your request for proof that our request for this feature was even prudent. and my off the cuff reply was it is because someone has asked ...no make that an entire forum of folks have asked.

I think 2 years clearly states that those that asked were not considered or that the feature does not warrant further consideration ... which I surly at least hope you can agree the feature would be extremely helpful...

NOW seriously I love adobe , Photoshop and everyone in the Family ...ok !!...in fact i was using the AGFA products that were around before adobe bought that division. in the beginning of time.... anyways have a happy 4th 5th and 6th for that matter... but sorry on the 7th ..you are on your own !! hehe

jerry Rice

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 05, 2014 Jul 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK... folks...obviously this comes 2 plus years to late for those that started this forum and brought to life the issue at hand with regards to the effectiveness of dealing with patterns, (especially Seamless) in the almighty Photoshop

And although the responses I received from the qualified staff ... made good points .. unfortunately at no time was I either assured that the issue was being addressed (now years in the making) or that I had options ..

Turns out that the team of developers responsible for Adobe Illustrator appreciate the importance of rotating patterns, as it can easily be done in AI ... it is a shame that the only thing missing from the Photoshop version ..is the rotation of the placed pattern (oddly this feature IS AVAILABLE with every other aspect of what photoshop can do.

So... you can deal with the patterns in AI and then once the rotational angels have been met ...import back to Photoshop ...IF needed.... Yes extra steps... but over all problem solved... now lets see if I can salvage that side job I let slip through my fingers ...

Jerry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jul 08, 2014 Jul 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’d like to comment on two statements.

»BUT ONCE again ....my initial comment was in reply to your request for proof that our request for this feature was even prudent. «
If you are referring to Mr.Cox’ post
»90 degree rotations might be reasonable. Arbitrary angles would take quite a bit more work.
But I need justification for management: why is this important, how much time does it really save, what market segments need this functionality, etc. ?«
you probably took »might be reasonable« quite literal, which is certainly legitimate.
I think the following sentence’s reference to a larger quantity of work, though, indicates that »reasonable« may have referred to the necessary investment of resources – but that is naturally arguable.
In either case references to brain surgeons and rocket science are neither reasonable arguments nor proof of your point.

»I think 2 years clearly states that those that asked were not considered or that the feature does not warrant further consideration«
• This is the official place for Photoshop Feature Requests and Bug Reports, so no matter whether the requests/bug reports are realised/corrected they are registered (at least that is my understanding).
• Both Mr.Cox and Mr.Tranberry have posted on this thread, so the feature would apparently have been considered by Adobe personnel at several points in time.
And what about »2 years« warrants your conclusion/assumption?
Just consider the time between the original post in this request and the recent introduction of Path Blur:
http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh...

Regards,
Pfaffenbichler

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 14, 2014 Aug 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I am a product manager on the Photoshop team. I'm the guy that needs the justification that Chris mentioned. There is a lot of great feedback in this thread, and I think the justification has been thoroughly articulated.

As with everything else in Photoshop, we have to make trade-offs. If we do this, we can't do something else. Not everything is the same cost either. Some things are fairly easy to do with huge benefit to customers. Those are easy choices. Other things (like this) are more difficult, but would be valuable. We have to weigh all these things together, and weigh them against the thousands of other requests from customers.

Overall, I think this is a great idea. Chris and I will discuss it with the team and see what makes sense given the other work we have. Stay tuned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Aug 14, 2014 Aug 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully you will be able to allocate the resources but in any case it’s nice of you to acknowledge the item.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 07, 2014 Sep 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would also add an Offset parameter if this feature is finally getting some attention. Photoshop technically already handle it, it is just the same issue as this where you have to translate the shape using the pattern, rasterize, then place it back and repeat for all the others which destroy all your flexible presets in the process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 08, 2014 Sep 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I must say...as I feel I am the one who went on a rant and created this discussion to begin with.... I must say...it is nice to see that a number of Adobe personnel have chimed in on the subject...and I for one am impressed and appreciate the time taken...
Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate