• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Set spot color name and value from swatches

Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2016 Jan 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set a spot color layer value with swatches - is it possible?

We have a new set of fluorescent inks that have to be treated as spot colors in the RIP. I can create a set of named spot colors with Lab values in Illustrator and put the same named colors in the RIP with specific ink builds (rather than Lab values) and the RIP will use that library to convert the named color in the file to the ink build with the fluorescent inks.

If I want to do the same thing in Photoshop I have to create a spot color channel and then manually name it to match the library in the RIP. I can bring the named color library into Photoshop as swatches, but I can't access the swatches from the spot color layer color picker. I'm just looking for a way to get around the manual naming of the spot color layer.

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 24, 2016 Jan 24, 2016

Implemented in Photoshop 17.0 or later.

Votes

Translate

Translate
6 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you can pick the spot channel color from swatches or libraries.
Yes, Photoshop will preserve the colorspace that the swatch was created from, same with the library color.
Just click on the swatch you want while the color picker is open.

What you can't do is pick up the NAME of the color swatch or library color for the spot channel name. Sorry, but I can't think of a simple way to make that work (too many layers of abstraction between the two points).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the reply - I was hoping you would see this.

If I pick the spot channel color from a Color Library, it does pick up the name of the color in the color library, but not if I pick it from a swatch.

In past posts you have said that Color Books are not meant to be created by end users, but I'm not clear on why. It would be very helpful for inkjet manufacturers with spot color inks like fluorescent and silver that can't be profiled accurately.

Thanks again for the reply - I appreciate your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, I forgot about the libraries name link. I wonder if I could (re/mis)use that code and make it work with swatches...

Inkjet makers aren't end users. The color books are designed to be something provided by the companies that deal with color a bit more often, and should be relatively stable over time. Putting out a book per printer model doesn't fit too well with that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Understood, but it's not uncommon for the manufacturers to provide a set of color swatches for the specific inks. These are not desktop units - think large / grand format production level machines. If you could get that working for swatches I would be just as happy. I am an ACE / ACT for Photoshop CC and would be glad to do any testing if needed.

Feel free to contact me directly as well. Thanks again for your time, especially on a Sunday!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Implemented in Photoshop 17.0 or later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,