• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Smart Objects: Auto-convert JPGs to PSD

LEGEND ,
Apr 05, 2011 Apr 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you drag an image into the canvas and have the option enabled to convert it to a smart object automatically, when you try to edit that smart object you are unable to save it to update it. Instead you get the usual save dialog and if you save in the default folder (temporary items) it doesn't actually update the smart object.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 05, 2011 Apr 05, 2011

I think this is because you are placing a file type without layer support - like JPEG.

The workaround is the save the file to a new location as a PSD after you've edited and choose Layer> Smart Objects>Replace Contents... and select the PSD you created to replace the JPEG file you originally placed.

I've made this a Feature Request. Hit the upvote at the top of the page to add your voice.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 118 Replies 118
118 Comments
Community Expert ,
Mar 27, 2020 Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I have an embedded JPG as a Smartobject in Photoshop – which by the way happens all the time when I use Adobe Stock Assets – it is really annoying to make changes or do retouching based on additional layers because you can‘t save it back. And to save it separately and then replace it manually is such a waste of time. It would be great if Photoshop could auto-convert the file type to psd, whenever I make changes to the original Smartobject.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally that is a low priority for me but I see the benefit of the requested feature and I recall encountering a few threads started by people who were confused about why they couldn’t save a jpg-Smart Object after they had added Layers. 
So, yeah, +1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your vote! It wasn't a big deal for me either until I started to use Adobe Stock...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not use adobe stock for this reason and also there have been quite a bit of suggestive content that goes against my religious beliefs in adobe stock it has become to political centered or PC if you ask me.
I use freepik and various free sites that offer free stock photos completely free and with commercial use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might still add your vote if you think the Request might have benefit for you even with images from other sources. 

Out of curiosity: What image content are you offered on Adobe Stock that annoys (or maybe even insults) you? Is this about »salacious« imagery or same-sex-couples or something else? 
I am not arguing against your choice to take your business elsewhere, just curious.

And no need to answer if you don’t feel like it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2021 Oct 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I import a .jpeg by drag & drop it becomes a embedded smart object. When I double click it, add a second rasterized layer inside (with content), save it, close the tab and re-open it, the layers got reduced to one single layer. When I add a smart object layer inside and hit save, photoshop says it can't save the document in it's original file format... (it's not a linked smart object!)

GammelSami_0-1633698103127.png

(german message)

But when I import a .jpeg, rasterize it first and convert it to a smart object again, all layers that I add inside of it will stay. And I can also add smart object layers inside.

My Workaround when this message appears: Save as new .psd, close tab, right click on the layer, replace content with new psd.

This is so annoying I come accros this error muliple times a day. Why does this happen? Is it a Bug?
Why does embedded smart object not equal embedded smart object?

Photoshop CC v22.5.1
Windows 10 (20H2)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In short; if you place JPG it will be converted to SO with only Background layer inside. That SO can not be updated with more layers or Photoshop will offer to save file. That is how things work because some programmed things to work in that way. I can not provide technical or logical explanation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, so you think the only way to change this would be a feature request?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, a feature request. This is something that a lot of us have been trying to get Adobe to change for a long time. It is very annoying! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CC v22.5.1
Windows 10 (20H2)

I think there is already a vague feature request related to this topic... ? But it has a "right answer" from 2011 which makes it seem that this solves the problem... (it does not!)
And this is clearly a bug so I did a proper bugreport how I learned in IT school. Maybe this will help Adobe to understand the issue so please don't merge this thread.

How to reproduce?

1. Enable "Always Create Smart Objects when Placing" in General Preferences
  2. Import a raster graphic to your existing project via Drag & Drop
  3. Double click the layer preview
  4. Add a second layer inside the smart object4a. (optional) convert the second layer to a smart object
  5. Save, close and re-open the tab

Expected behaviour

Saving is succesful. When re-opening, all layers inside the smart object should still exist.

Actual behaviour

Second layer is gone. All layers got merged.

If you do step 4a, Photoshop shows this message when saving:

GammelSami_0-1633708089964.png

Which makes no sens because it is not a linked smart object. should be an embedded smart object.

Workarounds for users

1. File > Save As (example.psd)
  2. Close tab
  3. Rightclick on layer name > Replace Contents... (example.psd)

Or disable "Always Create Smart Objects when Placing" in General Preferences and convert every image that you import to a smart object manually.

Why is this important to us?

The actual behaviour as well as the workarounds are very annoying. I run into those problems muliple times a day because I want always use smart objects for maximum quality in my work when rescaling later.

Community experts say: "This is something that a lot of user have been trying to get Adobe to change for a long time. It is very annoying!"

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 03, 2021 Dec 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you ever ran into the situation where you're wanting to add a layer to a smart object that was originally linked as a jpg, and you have to merge the layers to update the linked smart object?

The app could be improved by allowing users to add layers to any smart object - while under the hood photoshop is creating a new link to a .psd file in the referenced smart object directory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 09, 2022 Sep 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I place an image onto my canvas by drag & drop or copy & paste, then convert the image layer into a smart object I have no problems opening that smart object and adding adjustments layers. When I place an image onto my canvas by choosing place embedded, which then automatically converts the image into a smart object layer and when I try to edit the smart object I recieve an error message;

Can't save this document back to its original file format. Flatten layers and discard extra data as necessary then choose File > Save again.

Does this happen for a reason because I like the fact that if you place an image onto your canvas convert the layer to a smart object then duplicate and transform that if I change the image Ps not only replaces all the duplicated smart objects but also remembers the transform properties.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Sep 10, 2022 Sep 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File formats. 

If you place an image in a format that does not support Layers it naturally cannot be saved with Layers. 

So if placed jpg, png, … files cannot be saved with Adjustment Layers that is the consequence of your choice to use those file formats. 

You can save the layered open Smart Object as a new psd, psb or tif somewhere and use Layer > Smart Objetcs > Replace Contents to replace the original flat image in the containing image. 

Edit: When converting Layers to a Smart Object in Photoshop it will be created as a psb right away, so layers-capable. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 11, 2022 Sep 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So when you place a jpg file using place embedded photoshop converts it into a smart object  but keeps it as a jpg therefore when one tries to open that smart object and add an adustment layer you can't save it. If I paste a jpg image by copy or paste or drag & drop then I convert the layer myself  into a smart object then photoshop converts that jpg into a psb to allow for adjustment layers but not if I use File / Place Embeded which converts to a smart object, that smart object has to be edited destructivly. 

So Paste It Don't Place It

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 16, 2022 Nov 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue when I drag & drop a layer into a smart object, the smart object layer will not be updated once I do some editing. Photoshop asks me to save the edited smart object to a new PSD file. 

But, if I drag & drop a layer into a smart object, then convert it into a smart object again, the smart object layer works as normal. That is really confused.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not that confusing. If you place image it can be converted to Smart Object layer what depend on your preferences. If inside is JPEg then JPEG is preserved inside, JPEG can not have layers so if you add layer it will offer to save as PSD or PSB which can hold layers. If you convert Smart Object layer to another Smart Object you are converting layer so it will create PSB file which can contain layers.

Solution can be to uncheck Always Create Smart Object when Placing in Preferences > General. You should also uncheck Resize Image During Place to avoid placing smaller version of your image before converting to Smart Object layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried with unchecked Always Create Smart Object when Placing in Preferences > General. It requires to uncheck and Resize Image During Place. After placing image as layer convert it to Smart Object layer. You can record action for this:

Record step Place Embedded > enable modal control

Record step to convert to Smart Object

I am assuming that mentioned options in Preferences are unchecked.

Update: pay attention to resolution because Photoshop will silently match document and placed image resolutions in the background. Check that image to place has same resolution as working document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the answers. It sounds a little more complicated than the old smart object. And there is no instructions in the Adobe Photoshop Smart Object section.

Votes

Translate

Translate