• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Support all Windows DPI scaling options (125%, 150%, ...)

LEGEND ,
Nov 25, 2014 Nov 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The two UI scaling options (100% or 200%) are inadequate on modern desktop monitors (4k, etc.). They work great on older monitors (100%), or on small, portable devices (200%), but not on everything else.

Please add support for all additional Windows system scaling options in priority order: 150%, 125%, everything else.

Idea Released
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

Votes

Translate

Translate
40 Comments
Community Expert ,
Mar 05, 2015 Mar 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 05, 2015 May 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the Surface Pro 3 200% scaling looks rather large. The system is running at 150% scaling - why can't Photoshop simply respect that? InDesign does (though they forgot 125% scaling). Why is it so hard for you to just RESPECT user preferences? Windows is not a Mac - we have a lot more choice! It is not 100% or 200%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 05, 2015 May 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We spent a lot of time working with Microsoft to even allow 200% scaling. We are continuing to work with Microsoft to address the Windows issues needed to enable more flexible UI scaling on Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 06, 2015 May 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no "Windows issues" (other than the fact that it takes more work!). You just have to scale every draw call to the system DPI and supply images at the four most common scaling percentages. Every Microsoft Office application is scaled correctly, even InDesign is. If they can do it, so can you. It's just a matter of wanting to do so. If you didn't design your custom UI layer with High DPI in mind, well that is your problem and not Microsoft's. Windows has had all the necessary API's for High DPI since Vista.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 06, 2015 May 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, there are serious problems in the Windows UI Scaling APIs. We worked with Microsoft to fix the major issues to allow 200% UI Scaling. We are continuing to work with Microsoft to address the issues that still prevent more flexible UI scaling on Windows.
We are also in contact with the Office team about the UI scaling issues they have seen and the remaining work to be done in Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 21, 2015 Aug 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is so crucial for me... I simply do not understand why this isn't supported? Indesign, Illustrator - they do it perfectly... Although 125% would be even better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 24, 2015 Aug 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like such a trivial problem, but I can understand why this is such a difficult issue to resolve. Big program, lots of modules that will have to be redesigned to enable successful scaling.

Ideally, in the future I'd like to see scaling done in a similar way to Illustrator. I was surprised to find that Illustrator even works well with Microsoft's Windows10 continuum feature by switching into the touch mode, which is a bonus.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not a trivial problem, and we have been working with Microsoft for a couple of years to solve the issues inside Windows that make it fail to work correctly.

We are continuing to work with Microsoft on the issues needed to allow more flexible UI scaling on Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Allow me to elaborate. From an outsiders perspective, it would seem trivial, but obviously it isn't (thought I had made this clear in my first comment, apparently not). The current scaling support in Windows is fairly limited, overall making it difficult to effectively implement scaling. Heck, when on 150% scaling, a number of programs become blurred, so clearly the scaling system in Windows needs some work.

So here is my understanding of the situation with scaling (just to be sure I've got it right). The scaling system in Windows is flawed. Getting a program to work effectively with the current scaling system would either require an excessive amount of effort, or is simply not going to be achieved with the current system.

Right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're pretty close. That's why we are continuing to work with Microsoft on the issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 10, 2015 Dec 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd be eager for a 150% and 125% scaling option as well. 200% is unworkable on my laptop, 100% is still rather small (though menus have gotten better). Hopefully this latest creative cloud release redesign was done with scaling in mind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 10, 2015 Dec 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jordan: No matter what Adobe will tell you, scaling support in Windows is NOT limited in any way. You simply have to do more work, because Windows supports multiple scaling factors, where OS X/iOS only support 100% and 200%.

Some applications are blurred, because they do not support DPI scaling. Windows will then trick it into rendering at 96 DPI and then bitmap scale the result. The application thus remains perfectly usable, albeit with slightly blurred text. This is the entirely the fault of the developer and not Windows. The alternative would be much, much worse.

To make a DPI aware application on Windows is actually very simple. You simply detect the DPI of the current monitor and multiply all measurements by the resulting scaling factor when drawing your application UI. You then make any bitmap assets in all resolutions (usually 6-8) and choose the right one depending on the DPI of the current monitor. You then tell Windows that your application is DPI-aware. That's really all there is to it. Sure, it takes a lot of work - but there is no shortcut.
If Adobe's in-house UI Framework was properly designed, you should be able to supply an arbitrary scaling factor and have it draw at the correct size.
Adobe blaming Microsoft is simply a lame excuse for not wanting to make the effort to make a proper DPI aware application, instead simply porting over the work done for the Mac.

Adobe - I won't believe a word of your crap, until you give me concrete examples of what is supposed to be broken in Windows DPI scaling and not just some general excuse.
If it is so difficult - why can the Illustrator and InDesign teams make their applications scale properly?

And have a look at Microsoft Office, which is just as complex - and fully DPI aware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 11, 2015 Dec 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it seems I struck a chord with my reply, given that Adobe has felt the need to censor it. The reason given was this: "completely off track, with no understanding of the problem whatsoever. Oh, and we're working with the Office team on the issues as well."

I wasn't "completely off track", but merely stating the facts. But since freedom of expression is apparently not supported by Adobe, you can read them yourself on MSDN: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...

And then let's see how long it takes Adobe to censor this comment.

For reference, Adobe - you do NOT censor comments unless they are off-topic, abusive or use bad language. Mine did neither. You censored it because you don't agree with what I say.

And you have STILL not provided any technical details about what is supposed to be so difficult... I am a programmer as well, I'd love to know. If I have "no understanding of the problem whatsoever" - well, that's your own fault, since you don't provide any technical details as to what is broken. Instead you claim that scaling in Windows is broken, when it clearly is not.

I have a suggestion for you: Do a long, detailed blog post on why Photoshop does not respect system DPI settings on Windows. You'd avoid further discussion of this issue by showing that there's a reason for this - and you'd help both yourself and other developers by bringing attention to the issues. Out in the open is always better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 03, 2016 Mar 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

please update this soon! it would be fantastic!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is a difficult topic but I would really appreciate if this was done soon. I've been struggling for about 6 months with RIDICULOUS scaling which makes me wish I bought a mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the new Universal Windows Platform (UWP) apps make use of a fake scaleable "pixel" unit. Goes something along the lines of "effective pixels". At this time, its a system mostly specific to UWP apps, but should this come to support Win32 applications, could it work as a solution for scaling Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 14, 2017 Jan 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still NOTHING? C’mon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 26, 2017 Feb 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Taking the approach that this is Microsoft's problem isn't the right public relations choice. Microsoft has addressed almost all scaling issues in Windows 10 (Redstone). InDesign, Illustrator, Microsoft Office, and Google Chrome are basically perfect now. It sounds to me like Adobe developers need to start openly and realistically discussing Photoshop's technical debt (Bridge & Acrobat as well). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 24, 2017 Mar 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case still some of my softwar have not a proper hi-dpi scale: Zbrush 4R7, Photoshop CC 2017,  C4D r16 are still with small letters and butons (but still readebale on my QHD).

Actualy all the software was looking a the right size after parameter de size on windows 10 @125% but only some softs like: Corel painter, Groboto or Modzila explorer was real QHD @ 2560x1440 the other first was streched looking fuzzy like my 1920x1080 monitor and i hade to turn on the option "no streching the softwar" of each softwars. I keep a real QHD aspect but with smaler letters...

i found the option for the Hi--dpi monitor in llustrator CC 2015, to put the scale on the closer level that the softwar can manage or in the smaler part or the largest part (no % size only this two option). I get it to the largest option and i think i get a 150% result (not so big, that work with my resolution even the best for me is 125%).

In Photoshop CC 2017 for example i get only two option for hi-dpi monitor: 100% & 200% (2017 bro's).
Why they cant do it for the other resolution ? And actualy why all this "GRAPHIC" design softwar are not able to easely rescale theyr interface for the "GRAPHIC" hi-dpi monitors? I was thinking graphic designers photographer or movie maker or whatever that need to have the best aspect for theyr work was the first public for those kind of monitor so why the softwar dosnt care about it?

Maybe i miss some information or some parameters in those sofwares but i real didnt found not so many answer about rescaling for hi-dpi option in Zbrush or C4D or toshop as well.
It is realy so complicate for Adobe coders to manage a rescaling UI interface , and for all the other softwar as well ? looking for understending 😉 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 11, 2017 Jul 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: As of 10/25/17, we are closing this program to new applicants. We have a large number of participants already. Thank you to everyone who registered!

The Photoshop team has been listening to your many requests for better scaling options on Windows, and we’re happy to announce that we are ready for beta testing on this feature. Because of the large scale changes involved in this feature, we want to make sure people have the opportunity to test it out before it’s released.

All Windows customers are welcome to join and test, but please note that you will need to have Windows 10 Creators Edition installed in order to use the new continuously scalable user interface and per-monitor scaling. Windows 7, 8 and prior versions of Windows 10 will only support 100% and 200% - as the continuously scalable user interface requires APIs only available in Creators Edition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated to Photoshop CC and no scaling yet?  Very disappointing. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I join with my opinion that 150% UI scaling would be super useful. 27 inch 4K screens (like mine) are quite common. Working in 100% is very inconvenient, while 200% just makes it look ridiculous...

I'm pretty sure this is going to be more and more problematic, as not many people will have the space to use 37+ inch screens, while 4K will likely become standard soon (if not already)...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think having this feature is rather urgent, as using either 100% or 200% really hinders the overall workflow at every single step! I've been dealing with this for almost two versions now! will we have to wait until CC 2019...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even more annoying is that it seems Illustrator actually handles this correctly...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Continuously scalable UI will be available in an update in the very near future. You won't have to wait until another year for a full version upgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate