• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Support Animated PNG (APNG)

Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2012 Mar 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GIF dosen't support alpha transparency, it dosen't support high color, it dosen't support a ton of things, and I think you should add APNG support to your png library.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
72 Comments
Explorer ,
Nov 01, 2017 Nov 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did submit a feature request, though I only did it for media encoder. Figured I should provide a link to where y'all can make your various cases.

Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 07, 2018 Feb 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Google & firefox support apng, please catch up adobe! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 18, 2018 Jun 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any updates from adobe for implementation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jun 18, 2018 Jun 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe does not make public their plans for their products. IMO I would not expect Adobe would add animated PNG support.   MP4 is a better file format and browsers have support for MP4

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jun 22, 2018 Jun 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While watching an Apple developer video today, I was reminded about j.ingleby's post about APNG being a recommended format by Apple for iOS Stickers.  I'm not sure that that's the case.  According this Apple Developer video, animated iOS Stickers are made from PNG Image Sequences: 

Building Sticker Packs - Tutorial - Videos - Apple Developer

For what it's worth,

Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 25, 2018 Jun 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the mention. @2m25s in that video it mentions APNG's being used for animated stickers. 500kb is the limit.  Gifs can be used (and are standard for instagram), but the quality is much less as they don't allow for higher quality transparency/alphas (which APNG does).

Tinypng.com has been a life saver for resolving this. I haven't used the Photoshop plugin but the site itself does the trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi J:

I think you're confusing a PNG image sequence for an Animated PNG.  The Apple Developer video only shows individual PNG files used as an image sequence.

It's good to hear that Tinypng.com is working for you.

-Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate the clarification but I followed apple specs which advised

APNG and not simply individual pngs.

The project was for a Nike sticker pack. I output pngs with alpha from AE.

Then assembled to an APNG using a free apng tool. After that they were

compressed with TinyPng before submitting to the apple app store.

Are you stuck on a step or simply discussing?

On Mon, Jun 25, 2018, 5:37 PM Warren Heaton, <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stuck, no.  Missing, maybe.

Could you post a link to where you found the Apple specification?  I'm not finding anything about APNG on the Apple Developer pages, but I could be looking in the wrong place.

Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 26, 2018 Jun 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://developer.apple.com/design/human-interface-guidelines/ios/extensions/messaging/

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 26, 2018 Jun 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay I see Adobe has do the job. I find it very weird that this first class programm (Photoshop) not support the developer of apng. I have to use them in a client project and to use mp4 isn't really a solution. Why adobe can't give us a proper solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Aug 21, 2018 Aug 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A-pings!!!!!

Telestream ScreenFlow 8 now supports Animated PNG export: Animated PNG Export on Vimeo

I imagine that we'll see this feature pop-up in other familiar video editing/image editing applications.  Maybe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,
Mar 18, 2020 Mar 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can export a Gif from After Effects again now 🙂 You do it by exporting via Adobe Media Encoder;

Screen Shot 2020-03-19 at 06.43.24.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 24, 2020 May 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most modern browsers support APNG at this point; at the time of writing this, according to https://caniuse.com/#search=APNG, 90.39% of people should be able to view them just fine. While I've been able to set up an APNG editing workflow using an APNG disassembler and an APNG assembler, it's a bit of unnecessary extra work and processing that can and should be eliminated. We can work with GIFs within Photoshop, why not APNGs? As someone who semi-frequently works with APNGs, having to work with image sequences kinda sucks and I'd rather not have to do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, this request has been around for 9 years. One wonders how long it will take until it gets noticed by anyone (PS users as well as Adobe employees).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a bit bonkers that the most recommened option is to send people to a website or to grab some random freeware/cheapware to assemble their aPNGs. No Adobe program can do it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 26, 2022 Nov 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since support for apng was asked all major browsers now support it as a post from 2017 said, in a span of two weeks all major browsers started supporting it and surprise, photoshop doesn't support it! Then iOS stikers became a thing but use PNG sequences instead, maybe because is photoshop what takes the lead on what is supported by other things and what isn't. It took webp quite a long time to get support officially. At least for the new generation of image formats, like .AVIF, and .HEIF, things are goind a bit faster, but .apng should have been here for a long time and maybe comparable to the new formats. Having an animated logo with transparency for example, might be a case where compression works very well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is absolutely crazy APNG is not an option for import/export in all relevant Adobe tools.
This is just a typical 'Adobe asleep at the wheel' moment. Customers should not need to make a case for the file format as Adobe should already have a roadmap and understanding of what's needed rather than wait for customers to complain.
They are always late to the party until the penny finally drops. There must be someone with half a clue at Adobe as they desperately clawed themselves back into the game with the FIGMA acquisition. This is a platform they should have been leading years and years ago, but in typical Adobe fashion, they ignored the change and trends in the industry until they started eating Adobe's lunch.

Not many innovators and leaders at Adobe presently, just tired process-driven narrow-minded thinkers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jan 07, 2023 Jan 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if the problem is bloat, with how many versions of photoshop exist it feels like adobe has been wanting to rewrite photoshop for a long time. Cause obviously it's gotten so old, and likely has so much code not written by anyone working on it it's too difficult to add things in a timely manner. 

It's harming the value proposition, Unity is having a similar problem with old bloat and not enough adoption of current standards. How long can adobe be behind before it stops being the standard?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
Jan 07, 2023 Jan 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@XcomapocalypseI wholeheartedly agree: Adobe traditionally seems to be consistently behind the curve in anything related to screen design and web/app design and development. Quite amazing, really.

As for the APNG discussion: in the meantime since this request was posted (a DECADE ago!) Animated WebP has been adopted in browsers and is already supported in PS alternatives such as PhotoLine.

If Adobe weren't lagging behind by leagues, it'd be almost funny. But it really is not, and rather a sad state of affairs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jan 09, 2023 Jan 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would assume people pay monthly to be ahead of the curve not behind 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello and thank you! This was actually useful. Unluckily, whenI export my 5 frames animation, PS will create hundreds of PNG files. I stopped it after creating 203 PNG files. And to add to that, it created one image per document while I am using artboards, so there is no use in PNG files that contain all of my artboards at the same time.

It amazes me that Adobe still doesn't support APNG to this date and I have to do all sorts of things to create them using free online tools when my company is paying for a license for this software. You really have to be patient as an Adobe customer, to be honest.

Votes

Translate

Translate