Enable dashed strokes

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 09, 2012 Feb 09, 2012
Some of you will be happy to see this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDfL02...

Votes

Translate

Translate
18 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 05, 2011 Apr 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can create dashed strokes by increasing the Spacing on your Brush (under the Brush panel>Brush Tip Shape). If you increase the Spacing to about 200% (or whatever fits your needs), you can then stroke paths or selection marquees with a dashed (or dotted) line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 05, 2011 Apr 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's definitely a very nice tip and a clever way to do it. But it would be wonderful if there was actual support for dashes like there is in Illustrator.
On the effects menu under Strokes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 06, 2011 Apr 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is something that is only available as a (somewhat) complicated workaround. It would be great to have this ability built in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 26, 2011 Jun 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hate to bump this back up, but definitely want to support this notion. The process that brett@future uses works as a great work around (for dotted lines), but if I want to create any sort of real dashed line, the process is a lot more upsetting (such as creating a brush pattern), or outright opening illustrator, which i'm lucky enough to have the luxury to do.

Real dashed line implementation would allow me to set the size of the dashed (the length of the dashes) at the very least, if not the full implementation similar to illustrator (where I can set up a dash/gap/dash/gap/dash/gap pattern).

This would be great under the individual brush settings next to scatter, and possibly an option under the stroke for blend modes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 23, 2011 Sep 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to create geometric figures with just outlines and no fill in photoshop. And also be able to write in the exactly size of it. As it is now I have to make a vector figure in Illustrator and then import it in Photoshop. It would be more easy to do it in photoshop while I ́m already working there. Maybe in CS6? 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2011 Oct 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This would be brilliant... A much needed feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 09, 2011 Nov 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 I also added a topic to be able to do this with the line tool (http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh....

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to the arrowheads, I should be able to choose solid or broken line. If the broken line is selected the user would have the ability to change the segment (line) and gap (breaks) colors (could use foreground and background by default) and width of each. By adding width of the segment and gap, the user is able to control whether it appears as a dashed line (4px segment + 2px gap) or dotted line (1px segment x 1 px gap). You could add additional features for staggered gaps to produce interesting effects.

This is not the same as the stroke suggestion (http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh..., which is also needed and could probably use the same functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah, it really does amount to the same request as this one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 10, 2011 Nov 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is the same thing if the code used to create this capability can be used in both scenarios, but the current stroke functionality within the layer style dialog is very distinct and different from the line tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 10, 2011 Nov 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would certainly be a nice addition.

I actually wrong an article on creating dotted and dashed lines in Photoshop this morning. http://iceflowstudios.com/2011/articl...

Might help a bit, but I agree, I would love to see this implemented in a future version of Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 15, 2011 Nov 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe Gripe #7084

"The people have spoken... dotted lines in photoshop (pixel perfect ideally) please!"

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 19, 2011 Nov 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be better if it would be shape not brush.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 02, 2012 Feb 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just found this discussion...I recently upgraded from PS CS 1 to CS 5.1 (talk about late!) and noticed when I use a solid brush with the Wacom, it kept appearing as a dotted line!

Drove me crazy as I could not get a solid drawn line. Then noticed that when I check the "Spacing" box as Brent originally suggested, I get my solid line. Problem is, I have to check every single brush variation/size (hard brush, soft brush, 1, 2, 3, and so on) to get it. That sounds ridiculous. There must be a way to get that spacing bar checked as a default, isn't there?

Any help gratefully appreciated. (Meantime, all those wishing to draw with a dotted line, you got your wish, at least somewhat!)

Thanks,
Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Feb 09, 2012 Feb 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some of you will be happy to see this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDfL02...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great stuff!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's awesome! but i have a question. can we convert these dotted or dashed outlines into shape? if not, there will be problem when scaling image if photoshop try to aspect thickness of path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 07, 2012 Jun 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Love having this feature, but when I have more than one single line segment created with the pen tool (not a tiny rectangle created with the line tool) the dashed lines act as if the single line is a box and double up (stroke on outside, shown) or appear to be a solid line (middle stroke) or disappear (inside stroke).

I want to have multiple lines on a single layer so I don't have to edit multiple layers to make changes. Single / solo lines work fine.

--
PS Extended CS6 version 13.0 on Mac OS X 10.6.8

Votes

Translate

Translate