• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Surface Dial support

LEGEND ,
Dec 24, 2016 Dec 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently acquired a Surface Studio with the Dial and there is quite a bit of potential in this new input device. Here's hoping you are already well under way integrating the device and these ideas are old-hat.

One of the great uses of the Dial is for controlling the Undo/Redo stack. Suggest tying History to the dial for a quick way to scrub through your actions.

Brush Size, Flow, Opacity are also natural properties that would work naturally with the Dial.

One of the nicest surprises with the Dial is in Microsoft Ink Workspace - there is a virtual Ruler that can be placed and oriented with the dial that also locks your stroke. This is such a great feature for perspective drawings and would love to see something similar for placing guides.

Scrubbing through Brush presets is also a welcome feature in Microsoft Ink Workspace - it only supports the 3 built-in brush types, but if Photoshop could allow for selection of a few favorited brushes through the dial, it would be very nice.

Thanks for reading.

Idea Released
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017
Photoshop CC now has tech preview support for the Surface Dial: Technology Preview features

Votes

Translate

Translate
35 Comments
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2017 Jun 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please forgive me for Adobe bashing.  This is a Microsoft issue.  Classic Microsoft.  Why would one of these come with anything else installed and why would it differ from one model to the next?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Windows Creators Update is a very recent release of the operating system. It was released for update on April 11, 2017 and it is currently being pushed out for system updates. You likely picked a device that had been manufactured prior to that date, so you didn't have it. They don't open all the packages in the store and run updates before selling it to you.

Nothing to bash, here. 

Support not understanding your issue, and wiping your device clean...now that's something to bash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They just wiped windows.  All of my files are still there.  They are getting better at that at least.  I had version 1607 in case anyone else has this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone that has a Surface Dial and are having problems, check your version of Windows.  You must be running version 1703 or higher.  I'm not exactly sure how you go and find that.  I had to contact support.  You at least can tell them what the problem is instead of being the crash test dummy like me.  You're welcome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant, I don't know where to download version 1703.  Sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 08, 2017 Aug 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just got my new surface devices arrived today, cant wait to get new settings for Ps and Ai. specially for my surface dial.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 02, 2017 Sep 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cant wait till there is more support from Microsoft side, exciting, Logitech is already having dial support for photoshop for their dial product I just wish Microsoft would have functions like Logitech... here is Logitech video

https://youtu.be/zGAtPoguA34

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CC now has tech preview support for the Surface Dial: Technology Preview features

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Does this mean that the Dell's Canvas Totem is now also supported in PS CC?

Can we use both the Surface Dial and the Dial Totem on a PC without the Canvas or Surface studio screens (I have a Cintiq)? For example, would I be able to change the colors using the Dial (Dell's or Microsoft's) just with Windows 10 and PS CC 2018?

Is there any documentation on list of features that work or don't work if you have only the Dial and not their corresponded screens vs using the Dial with their screens (I'm talking about Photoshop CC and Windows 10)?

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/accessories/apd/750-aayl?ref=p13n_ena_pdp_vv&c=us&cs=04&l... 

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate