Panels must be hidden automatically when I leave Photoshop (jumping to another Application)

0 Votes
Participant ,
Dec 18, 2021 Dec 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop still blocks the full monitor, when I jump out of Photoshop to another application or the Desktop.

My workflow often needs a change between applications, and often I have to search footage on the desktop. So each time being forced to either press the Tab Key or minimize Photoshop completely, is distressing.

PLEASE FIX THAT (it's actually not only an idea, it's a bug or lazy programming, because on Mac you can see Photoshop, how it's working correctly.)

In general:

The UI experience of Photoshop on Windows is terrible in comparison with working on a Mac.

Hotkeys were frequently blocked, because menus become active with "blue text", when you e.g. only change the layer mode. So you are forced to press always "escape" as an extra step after each small action and you can't just watch at the picture, you have often to turn your eyes at th UI, to find out what again is blocking.

Simply working with the stamp (pressing Alt-Key to take the source) already activates the menus, when your stamp action was not finished thereafter...

Whoever worked on Mac for 15 years know exactly what I mean. I have a lot Windows application, no other is so clunky like Photoshop, which permanently hides the view with the background frame, and makes it impossible to jump quickly between applications and footage folders on the desktop.

Idea No status
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
5 Comments
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In general:

The UI experience of Photoshop on Windows is terrible in comparison with working on a Mac.

@IAH-1 

In general, I think you are talking about the Windows interface vs. the Mac interface. Adobe has to work within each OS, as do all other applications.

• Pressing and releasing the Alt key in Windows activates the menu system in all applications. If you are trying to do something else in PS that starts with Alt, then don't release the Alt key too quickly. There is no equivalent for a keyboard shortcut on macOS.
  • The Mac version of PS allows the Application frame (Window menu) to be on or off. You didn't call this by name, but it might be what you are referring to. Windows OS does not permit this — the Application frame is always on.

I don't know what "search footage" or "footage folders" mean, but when I have to use Windows, I switch applications using the Task bar (similar to the Dock) or the shortcut (I think it's Alt+Tab) and the new application always jumps to the front. When I had to start using Windows at the start of the pandemic, I watched a tutorial on LinkedIn Learning which I found helpful. You can get a free trial if you haven't used it before.

Windows has been copying the Mac interface for years — the suit was settled in Microsoft's favor in 1994...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Computer,_Inc._v._Microsoft_Corp.

... and I hear that Windows 11 is even more Mac-like than Windows 10, so things may get better for you.

I may have missed something, though, so please clarify if I missed the point.

Jane

Forum volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeane-e,

About the ALT-Key issue: I'm using Maya or Substance for example, applications that permanently need the Alt-Key, literally every second to navigate there.

But the UI there does not react on pressing Alt, no highlighted words, no disabling of hotkeys, you can work blindly concentrated on your art work. 

(I mean this is a picture editing application and not a text editor, so why can't I turn this off?)

The "highlight names in the menu nby Alt key" workflow slows everything down, because my workflow is way faster, I have defined about 100 hotkeys, that give me in realtime everything I need. And when I watch others, I never saw anyone (at least here in my company) ever using it.

Application frame is a problem for anyone, who is not in a only-photoshop-workflow. I can't understand, why this has to do something with windows…

But most of all are the panels always in the way.

Yes, of course I'm using the ALT+Tab, but then still are the Photoshop panels visible. So everything on the desktop is hidden by Photoshop on both monitors – really nonsense. I mean with "footage" just the process looking for shooting pictures in my folders on the Desktop or on hard drives. I have shootings with 500 pictures, to be compared and assembled, so I need a permanent free view at my desktop as soon as I leave Photoshop, at least on my second monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Install the 23.1 update. 

Senior Product Manager - Customer Advocacy - Digital Imaging

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"But most of all are the panels always in the way....but then still are the Photoshop panels visible."

By @IAH-1

The modifier "most" in your sentence caught my eye. Are the panels that are in the way floating or docked? (We haven't seen a screen shot.) Floating panels tend to show up in front of the Home Screen after the documents are closed. I close them, then Reset my custom workspace the next time I start Photoshop.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Dec 28, 2021 Dec 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This in the screenshot is what I mean... I can't work when Photoshop is in the way. The software should hide automatically it's panels.

I have frequently to jump between applications.

not working in Photoshop.png

Votes

Translate

Translate