• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop: Add Printer Marks and Bleeds when saving as PDF

LEGEND ,
Apr 30, 2014 Apr 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save as PDF with the added option to add Printer Marks and Bleeds to the output file.It is a feature which is available in Illustrator but one you can't do in Photoshop.Surely a quick transfer across that many people would love to see.
Idea No status

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
25 Comments
Community Expert ,
May 01, 2014 May 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»Surely a quick transfer across«
Illustrator and Photoshop are very different programs.

I suppose it should be possible to add document properties for Trim Box and Bleed Box for some of the file formats or store them in the metadata and redo the pdf creation, but I doubt this is that simple a task and as Photoshop hardly is a page layout application I wonder how worthwhile it would be for Adobe to invest the resources.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Surely there are tons of designers who are doing their artwork in Photoshop though, and this little addition would make it so much easier to get it finished and off to print quicker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I think those people may be acting unwisely their number surely can have influence on Adobe’s development decisions regarding Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 07, 2015 Oct 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are they acting unwisely?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is NEEDED!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because doing page layout in Photoshop is a bad choice in my opinion (for example with regard to overprinting issues).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who said page layout? Many artists are doing printwork like posters without any "page layout" and it would be great to be able to export the artwork to a print ready PDF instead of importing it into Illustrator or Indesign just for the PDF export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Creating the final design for a poster is "page layout".
edit: And even if my terminology should be off the issue currently remains: Creating the final layout for even a one page print product is better done in an application better fit for the task than Photoshop. Whether future developments will affect this remains to be seen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So creating a poster in Photoshop is wrong? Sometimes you need a look that contains heavy use of textures, brushing, photos and even hand lettered illustration. It should be possible to export that kind of work directly to a print ready PDF without having to use other apps. In Photoshop today, you have to set up crop marks manually. I don't really see why this isn't automated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who said »wrong«? I’d call it unwise.

Printer/Crop Marks are pretty much irrelevant in a pdf, the Trim Box, Bleed Box etc. are what counts for processing. So being able to define those in Photoshop would indeed be useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I may have been unnecessarily unclear (edit: antagonistic even): Naturally doing in Photoshop the composing that is impossible in Indesign etc. is NOT unwise, but ultimately many designs will incorporate some vector elements, CMYK/print specific issues, ... and those are better addressed in an application dedicated to those issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 11, 2017 Jul 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would love to have more control over the PDF saving features in Photoshop sort of like in Illustrator but even better by having simple things added like combine artboards or select which ones to save and orientation as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would love to be able to save out as a pdf with bleeds and crop marks. Now that Ps has art boards, this would be a huge plus for those doing print work!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add marks and bleed when you export a PDF for printing from Photoshop. You can't really deliver artwork to a printer without adding bleed. This feature is in both Illustrator and Indesign. Why not in Photoshop? I often finish up my posters in Photoshop and it would be great to be able to just export it from there instead of importing the artwork into Indesign og back into Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2018 Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed! It would be great to add the ability to setup bleeds in Photoshop like we can do in InDesign and Illustrator, while also allowing users to add Printers Marks to PDFs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh heaps worth it! Every designer I know who works to print finds this beyond frustrating and counterproductive.  We are all scratching our heads as to why this feature is not in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly! So obvious - I can't imagine what possible reason there is for this not being a feature in PS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
May 20, 2020 May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop is image editing software; in my experience professional design and prepress utilises layout applications (on Adobe’s side that would be Indesign and Illustrator) to create print-ready output. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Precisely! That is exactly what is a pain for all those of us working in print.
I work for a poster and merchandise company. We have to process a lot of our art in PS because the tools necessary don't exist in INDD or AI. Then we have to place it into InDesign or Illustrator to lay out and export it for print. Just as you describe.
THAT is exactly what is a pain! Fine if you're doing the occasional job but processing hundreds or art pieces twice is exceeding painful, time consuming and inefficient to our workflow. Particularly when I'm laying out a poster that is just a rectangle with no die cuts necessary. I'm 100% certain I am not alone in this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The ability to set up a document  including bleed, margins and slug and then save or export to PDF including bleed/trim and all printer's marks straight out of Photoshop (just like you can in Illustrator and InDesign.) It is an awkward workflow to have to calculate manually on set up in PS, and then have to place the PS document into Illustrator or InDesign in order to produce a proper professional print ready PDF. It seems odd that this is not an automatic feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 30, 2020 May 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bleed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just voted for this, I've been doing page layout, design, pre-press (call it what you want) for over 30 years.

Traditionally done in Quark and Indesign yes, but when, more often than not these days, supplied with a Photoshop file, there is no point creating a extra step in a busy studio beinging a psd into Indesign if Photoshop had the same functionality.

It may not be 'right' but if I had 20 of these to

do I'd rather gets the jobs out quicker and have less stress.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it work to add printers marks in Acrobat (until and if they are ever put in Photoshop by the developers?)

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/printer-marks-hairlines-acrobat-pro.html

janee_0-1666202979313.png

Jane

Forum volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 05, 2023 Sep 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree 100% that it would be AMAZING for Photoshop to incorporate bleeds into the artboards, I am tired of creating every document and then manually drawing in my guidelines, even just automating this would be an amazing feature "create guides 1/8" in from the edges," boom, done, regardless of artboard size.

For those struggling with it, I can tell you that here is what we do

• Create photoshop document oversized, 1/8 inch bleeds as usual
  • Open the doc in Acrobat (I am suuming you have the full version of acrobat)
  • Click on EDIT PDF (turn off "recognize text)
  • Click on the CROP tool
  • Double click anywhere in the image
  • This brings up the trim, bleed, etc
  • Change the art box (constrain proportions) and reduce all 4 sides by 1/8"
  • Hit Okay and you will see that it moved the little purple lines in for the bleed.
  • (This also assumes that you have View Trim boxes turned on)
  • Save this file, and it will have the proper bleeds defined for the printer 

I am a printer BTW and this is the process that we use when we get a file without bleeds defined, or need to create the file in Photoshop since it does not allow for bleeds.  This allows our imposition software to recognize the bleeds, and automatically add cropmarks, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Sep 05, 2023 Sep 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Users wish to do so many things, why wait for Adobe, they may never address your particular wish.

Just create an Action or Script. One such example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaqBXhs6yXA

One would likely need two versions, one for use with files that already had the canvas size set to include bleed, and a separate one for files that didn't have bleed.

There is no registration colour in Photoshop, so if working with CMYK and or spot colours this would also need to be taken into account if the page marks needed to correctly separate to each plate.

Votes

Translate

Translate