• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Free Transform - ability to set Maintain Aspect Ratio as default

LEGEND ,
Apr 04, 2012 Apr 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Photoshop, it would be nice when "free transforming" a layer that the "maintain aspect ratio" lock button would maintain the previous setting, or some other way to set the default mode. I'm frustrated that I have to click it each time I'm resizing a bunch of items individually. Thanks.

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018
Hi Everyone,

Thank you for contributing to this discussion. Proportional transform is now the default behavior on Photoshop 20.0 with all but vector graphics. Photoshop 20.0 is available for download today. Please open the Creative Cloud app, download the update and let us know how it goes for you. If you do not see the update immediately, sign in and sign out of the Creative Cloud.

Thank you,
Hannah

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 181 Replies 181
181 Comments
LEGEND ,
Jun 12, 2019 Jun 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right, discard my previous idea of decoupling the button from the interactive behaviour of the scaling/rotation tool (after closer examination :-).

Just make that 'chain'-button sticky is all that’s needed for tackling this problem.

And to momentarily override that state just press Shift (to alternate the currently active state).

Maybe it could implemented that the 'chain'-button is somehow highlighted when holding down the shift key, so it’s clearly visible what holding that key does in the currently selected transformation-tool.

- -

The second annoyance which should be tackled is the 'auto-commit' of the tool when once clicks outside a hidden circle of the scaled/rotated object.

Before that you had to press 'Return' to finalize the operation.

As the 'auto-commit' can surely speed-up the workflow it still needs some kind of visible drawn circle or circular area, to tell the user at which point the tool changes it’s operation from chaning scaling/rotation to commiting the operation.

Or at least make it clearly visible by changing the cursor/pointer icon graphic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jun 12, 2019 Jun 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This change is so fundamental that if it needs changing, it needs changing everywhere. That means company-wide buy-in. 

Until that internal debate is complete, changing it in a fraction of the places it needs changing is half-baked, unprofessional and unacceptable.

Why Adobe doesn't understand this and rectify the situation is beyond many of us who are design professionals - consistency is literally design 101.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 12, 2019 Jul 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been a few months now that this feature is implemented but I can not get used to this new mode by default. My brain has been conditioned for years to use the shift key, this is so frustrating.
Plus, you still have to use shift to transform vector shapes proportionally and not for the rest, that is so inconsistant... Please offer a setting to revert back to previous behaviour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nicolas

With the 20.0.5 update, there is now a user facing preference under Preferences > General... and check "Use Legacy Free Transform"

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/fixed-issues.html
Rosa

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still using 20.0.4
It's time for an upgrade ... 🙂
Thanks @RoSa