• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PHOTOSHOP - FULL NATIVE OCIO / ACES SUPPORT - ASAP

Participant ,
Oct 16, 2023 Oct 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a means of supporting a great many artists that use it, Photoshop needs to support OCIO / Aces asap natively.  The request has been put in directly to Adobe by several people in the past, including myself, but we're still not seeing it.  AE just implemented it.

FYI - rendering out of Cinema 4D and with compositing and finishing work to be done in PS.  Should be as simple as rendering via OCIO out of Redshift and opening via OCIO in Photoshop.

Idea No status
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
3 Comments
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I've said before, I'm all for it as long as it doesn't interfere with standard icc based color management. OCIO is only used in the video community, which for Photoshop is a small segment of its total user base.

OCIO works on exactly the same principles as icc color management, so there's no reason it couldn't be implemented. On the other hand, there are no advantages over icc color management, just a different set of reference color space and input/output color spaces adapted to common video workflows.

The problem is that icc color management is at the very core of Photoshop, its whole architecture revolves around it. That's not a consideration in video apps, because traditionally, video hasn't used any color management at all. Video creators just calibrated their monitors to accepted standards, such as Rec.709 or DCI-P3, and that was close enough.

The purpose of OCIO is to allow archival encoding in the large ACES color space, with output to whatever purpose appropriate. That's in itself a very sound concept, and again, parallell to standard icc color management.

So I'm in no way "against" it. Just trying to put it into perspective.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OCIO is the (relatively new compared to icc) standard for post production and definitely isn't limited to video work.  I couldn't disagree more with your statement re. this.  CGI is a massive part of the post production workflow and is used in both stills and video projects.  Think about advertising renders that go to both video and print campaigns.  The goal here, much like the goal with icc colour management, is to establish a standard workflow across the board.  ICC has worked really well for a couple of decades now for print work.  The world has changed pretty dramatically in the last several years and video and print work and workflows should play nicely together and have compatible standards.  I agree that there's no reason why these two standards can't coexist.  OCIO in Photoshop would be a massive improvement to how things have to be done currently in order to get things to work.  It's a hack workflow that needs to mature asap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2024 Jun 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I agree with Carson. Our Studio has an established workflow around ACES. We work in different render applications. OCIO color management is essential. I find it embarrasing that Adobe is years behind this. We do videos and stills. Having to go to photoshop is the worst. I make my edits in DaVinci Resolve or After Effects when possible. And thats the main reason. The other being Photoshop is an old piece of c....

Votes

Translate

Translate