Exit

Photoshop iPadOS 3.6.3: Arrow keys in text layers don’t work

Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2022 Aug 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop version 3.6.3 (20220629.426)

iPadOS 15.6.1

1. Open or create a new document in Photoshop for iPadOS using an iPad Pro with a hardware keyboard (the type—USB, Bluetooth, or iPad Pro Magic Keyboard—doesn't matter)
  2. Use the Text tool to create text (point or paragraph text, doesn't matter)
  3. Type something (at least 3 characters; two or more lines can help showcase the issue)
  4. Deselect the text box, then reselect it for typing (with double-tap, etc.)
  5. Attempt to use:
    • Keyboard arrow keys (←, →, etc.)
    • Arrow-key chords ⌘ ← (beginning of line), ⌥← (previous word), etc.
    • Home/End/PgUp/PgDn etc.
    • Any of the standard macOS/iPadOS Emacs-like control keys (⌃A for beginning of line, ⌃E for end of line, ⌃B to move back one character, ⌃F to move forward one character, ⌃P for previous line, ⌃N for next line, etc.)
  6. Also, for those movement keystrokes above for which it is possible, additionally try holding down  ⇧ (the Shift key) while pressing the movement key.

Expected Results:

Each of these keystrokes should move the insertion point in the commanded direction. Holding down ⇧ while using arrow keys should select text.

Actual Results:

Nothing:

• Without ⇧, the insertion point stays in place.
  • With ⇧, the insertion point also stays in place, and nothing is selected.

Impact:

Moderate: For iPad users without keyboards, this bug has no impact. But for iPad users with keyboards, the impact is rather severe, especially for touch-typists like me who may alter or delete text in unexpected ways before noticing it has happened. For instance, the most-common way to prepend new text is to select a block, press ←, and begin typing; or, to append new text, select the text block, press ↓, and begin typing. But doing this on Photoshop for iPadOS results in all the text being replaced with the intended prepending or appending text. See below screenshot.

IMG_2346.jpeg

Idea No status
TOPICS
iPadOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
2 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @treyethan thank you for the post. We have moved it to the Ideas thread so it can be voted on in the hopes that this could find its way into production.

Thank you,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've noticed this, too, with my Magic Keyboard. I agree with @treyethan and have upvoted. 

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate