• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Menu too small on Windows high res display

Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2014 Jun 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my monitor (2560 x 1600) the menu on CC 2014 is too small - so tiny I can hardly read it. Selecting Expereimental 2nd option makes the whole programme far too big. Either so small I can't see it unless I sit very close to the monitor or so big it is unusable.
No problems with PS CC, only PS CC 2014. Having to unistall CC 2014 and go back to CC. Support offer NO solution

Idea Released
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 28, 2019 Jan 28, 2019
Hi Karen, You’re posting on a thread that covers old versions. Current versions scale all the way up to 400%: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/...

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 346 Replies 346
346 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2014 Aug 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No it hasn't - on my monitor the menu is either too small to see - or if you use the 200% feature too gigantic. Not a problem in PS CC, ONLY in PS CC 2014.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Obviously it seems that the problem is not going to be fixed (Adobe seems to think it already is) - so as a subscriber do I get a discount as I have to use the older version (and therefore get none of the new features or "updates")?

Under our consumer laws, a product has to be "fit for purpose" - clearly CC 2014 isn't (I can't read the menu) - so it fails that basic test under the Trade Practices Act (1974).

I am paying for a product that doesn't work as described - I can't use it, and am using the older product (and paying a monthly fee for the privilege). I may as well cease my subscription and go back to CS6 (which I own and works perfectly on my monitor).

Why doesn't someone at Adobe get hold of a Dell 76cm monitor, put it with a PC running Windows 8.1 and try out PS CC 2014 and see the problem others see? How hard can it be??

This is one of the most frustrating problems I've ever had with any software or any software company. I have 217 programmes installed on my Windows 8.1 PC and have NO problem with any other software - only PS CC 2014.

Adobe need to fix it, or refund the money I waste subscribing to something I can't use.

Just to recap:

1. Top menu too small to read (without sitting a few cm from the monitor)
2. UI font size set to Large
3. Experimental setting (200%) - far too big (unusable)
4. Changing Windows display size defeats the purpose of have a large monitor
5. Doesn't happen in any of other 216 programmes installed on the PC (only PS CC 2014)
6. Adobe support unable to offer any solutions

It seems that PS CC 2014 has some good features, doesn't look like I'll ever be able to use them (or even see what they all are in the menu!!).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for summarizing this issue.

This is why I am afraid to upgrade my software, it would not be worth the investment.

The customer support keeps saying that the problem has been fixed, but microscopic vs. 200% does not sound like a workable fix.

I"m curious about a 3rd party solution.

Does anyone know if GIMP has this issue too?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This situation is intolerable. I for one will not purchase anything from Adobe until this problem is truly fixed. I am also wondering which 3rd party solution would be worth considering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded the trial version of PS CC 2014 and the "tiny" problem still exists. Regardless, folks that paid big bucks for adobe products and don't want to pay big bucks to upgrade should not have to deal with this issue. Saying something is addressed in a software that a person has to buy is not an acceptable answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, but new features are only going to go into the latest version of the software.
And Photoshop CC 2014 does have the 200% UI Scaling feature. And we are continuing to work with Microsoft on more general scaling and remaining issues in the Windows UI Scaling APIs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. Are you able to advise why the issue (on my monitor at least) didn't exist in PS CC but does in PS CC 2014? Both running on the same PC, same monitor at the same time? Seems perplexing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The UI scaling feature does not exist in any Windows Photoshop version prior to CC 2014. Thus all older versions of Photoshop will not scale correctly on high res Windows displays.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've sent an email to Mr. Narayen to see if he can help with folks that don't want to upgrade to CC2014 (I tested the trial version and the 200% scaling is way too big and then I can't see all the drop-down menus items). Hopefully Mr. Narayen can get it fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I don't understand is why adobe can't fix the UI issue for hi rez monitors that are not tablet monitors. I tried cc version on my cintiq , it is really fine at the 200% setting, but on my 27 in dell 2560 x1600 , forget it, its too small, I hv cs6, I am not forking over money on any stupid subscription or update or what ever, until the cs6 version has its UI fixed so its larger than the large setting it offers. I said it over and over again elsewhere ,..if the layer icons are big enough, then why can't they make a fox for the previous versions,... we need the menus and icons to be BIGGER......BIIIIIGGGGEEEERRRRRRR.........

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, we are continuing to work with Microsoft to address the remaining issues in the Windows UI Scaling APIs.

And older versions of products will not be getting new features. New features go into the current version of the product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Just trying get my head around it.
PS CC didn't scale correctly - but was fine on my large monitor (I could read the top menu easily).
. PS CC 2014 scales correctly but i am unable to read the menu (too small).
Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you turn on the 200% scaling, then the menu text scales as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Unfortunately that is too large to be usable

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 12, 2014 Aug 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all the replies

It seems we are just going round and round in circles.

It is clear that PS CC 2014 is unsuitable for both my large Dell monitors (76cm & 61cm). And it seems that there is no work around nor going to be any fix soon.

I am a passionate PS user – I use it heavily every day. I really like the product, recommend it (usually) to people, I guess what you call a power user. So it really pains me that PS CC 2014 doesn’t work with my monitor.

The customer experience with PS CC 2014 has been terrible – I don’t especially care if it is an Adobe problem or a Microsoft problem, the experience for me as a user / customer is extremely poor. The lack of empathy and acknowledgement that there is a problem by Adobe is really frustrating. Adobe support can offer nothing – there is no fix.

It is the only software on Windows 8.1 that I have problems with – even other Adobe CC software on my machine is fine. Only PS CC 2014 has those tiny menus.

I won’t bother with PS CC 2014 anymore – total waste of time and money – only causes me stress every time I open it and see those unreadable, miniature menus. Uninstalled it.

I’ll keep on using PS CC until the next version of PS comes out – hopefully the issue with the menus being too small and unreadable will be solved. If it isn’t, I’ll end my subscription and go back to using CS6. Adobe will lose me as a customer.

So thanks for the comments, let us hope that one day Adobe listens to its customers (i.e. the people who pay the wages) and fixes future editions of PS CC 2014.

Yours in extreme frustration

An ex PS CC 2014 user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for replying in such a professional manner to how a vast amount of users feel. For every person willing to take the time to register and write in there are 20-30 others frustrated but not willing or able to take the time to do this. I have written 5-6 times, but all but one have been deleted. Maybe the way you wrote is professional enough that it won't get deleted. I have CC2014 and a Lenovo Yoga HiRes screen. It does not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is the 200% UI scaling not working? Most users with the Yoga highres display are very happy with the 200% UI scaling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. A well-put and measured reply. If nothing else, this is saving me money by NOT going out and purchasing a high-resolution display for the PC. The Macintosh, well, it's already Retina and I don't have the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The original complaint came before 2014.1 was released, and the last two haven't enabled the 200% UI scaling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 10, 2014 Sep 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

has there been any fix for this? its been months now and this should have been fixed in an update through creative cloud by now

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please read the previous responses. And go install CC 2014 and enable the 200% UI scaling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that doesnt work. this is a problem with photoshop. i have a 1080p 24 inch monitor and the text on the menus is way too small. i enabled 200% ui scaling and the UI is absolutely gigantic now. is adobe going to fix this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

its about 6px size on a 1080p monitor, it should inherit the font size and scaling of windows itself, which i have set to 125%

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently, we scale the menus based on the Photoshop CC 2014 200% preference. We're investigating a change to decouple this such that the menu size is controlled by the OS and just the UI size (panels, tool bars, etc) is controlled by the Photoshop preference.

Votes

Translate

Translate