• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop: Option to disable live preview of layer blending modes

Explorer ,
Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The AdobeCare twitter informed me there is no such thing and to post it as a request here, so, here we are.

With the Photoshop CC 2019 update came a live preview of layer blending modes. While I appreciate this will help people who aren't entirely familiar with what each blend mode will do and aren't sure about which one they would rather use, for me this 'feature' is a huge problem.
To get the simple part out of the way first, I'll just say that I have no use whatsoever for a preview of the layer blend modes. I know what each mode does, I know the results I'll get, I use the layer blend modes in very specific ways for very specific tasks and I've no need for a preview of the results.
The more complicated part which needs more explanation is that I have a significant sensory disability which is not entirely unlike epilepsy. (It's not the same, but that's the quickest way to illustrate to you what I'm talking about.) When I pull up the layer blend mode menu now, due to the live preview, I'm assaulted by one of the more extreme blend modes right away and then am treated to a painful lightshow as I move to the layer blend mode I actually want. As a result, for the last couple of days when using Photoshop I've had to just close my eyes and pick the blend mode blindly; the effect of moving down the list of blend modes is that painful.

So for the sake of my sanity (not needing the previews) and my physical health (not needing my eyes burnt out by a kaleidoscope of abstract colour and contrast), please add, as soon as humanly possible, an option to disable the layer blend mode live preview.
Idea No status

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 08, 2019 Apr 08, 2019
To disable live blend modes, do the following:
  1. Use Notepad (Windows) or a text editor on Mac OS to create a plain text file (.txt).
  2. Type the text below in the text file:
    LiveBlendModes 0

3. Save the file as "PSUserConfig.txt" to your Photoshop settings folder:
    • Windows: [Installation Drive]:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings\
    • macOS: //Users/[User Name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings/

Votes

Translate

Translate
30 Comments
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know the Blend Mode shortcuts? These are really handy if you know what blend mode you're going to use or to cycle through them.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/using/keys-using-blending-modes.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do, but they're a pain to use while drawing (where the keyboard is out of the way; not to mention, some of the combinations require both hands) and not as intuitive as simply being able to disable the preview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea, true. I feel like there has to be some flag or something you can add into a text file to disable it. There's one to revert to the old free transform method.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, nice, that's a bonus; I was going to ask about how to revert the free scaling and shift key behaviour, too. Thanks for mentioning it, I'll go take a look into that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new.html

To revert to the legacy transform behavior, do the following:

1. Use Notepad (Windows) or a text editor on Mac OS to create a plain text file (.txt).
    TransformProportionalScale 0

• Windows: [Installation Drive]:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings\
    • macOS: //Users/[User Name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers, that's one problem taken care of. When it's just a single line in a text file like that, makes you wonder why it can't be a checkbox or option within the software itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it would be great to have a preference that enables/disables the new Blending Mode preview on mouse over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder too, otherwise you have to save that file and restart Photoshop it worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I searched of for this option for 30 minutes last night after updating - not only does it assault your eyes with fireworks, it makes the blend mode menu stutter, and stick as it tries to render each one of them in quick succession.    

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 22, 2018 Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree 100%... It's not only jarring, but it makes it much more difficult to compare two blend modes that are not next to each other. Say, Multiply, then Overlay.  You basically have to switch between multiple layers, then do undo, etc.  Not easy. 

Furthermore, let's say you're on Overlay and want to try Color.........click the blend modes, and your Overlay is automatically switched to Multiply because that's where your mouse is....and I want to see Color quickly...not Multiply, then every other blend mode.  This is adding many extra steps.  PLEASE give us the option to disable this.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Oct 30, 2018 Oct 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. Makes it unusable on my system - Needs an option to disable it ASAP just like the "Realtime preset" preview in LR.
--

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Nov 13, 2018 Nov 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also an addition: The feature is bugged. If I try and set a layer to a blend mode with the mouse, the update of the screen crashes and I have to restart photoshop to get it to work again - no workaround.
Reproduction steps:
1) open an image
2) Duplicate background to new layer
3) Change blend mode using mouse
4) Scream at PC because PS is no longer displaying updates to your image anymore

Changing GPU options does not resolve this.

I have been forced to return to CS6 until this nonsense gets sorted out.
--

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 13, 2018 Nov 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So like me - I use my lovely CS6 EXTENDED 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agreed! I hate the mouse over previews! You can disable the mouse-over previews of presets in LR why not be able to disable mouse-over previews on blending modes in PS, Grrrr!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 26, 2019 Feb 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too would like to turn this off. There is a performance downgrade, as it hangs with each preview scrolling through the list to reach the one I already know I want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 31, 2019 Mar 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a terrible, terrible, addition. So much so that it has made me post here to express my frustration - other 2019 problems (proportional scaling, pen smoothing, step backwards etc. can be fixed with text files).

But this? It helps no-one. Working on large, complicated, files becomes almost impossible as the preview slows everything down to a grinding halt and you have to wait while each mode is rendered. Only solution is to turn off layers, which defeats the purpose entirely.

I will stay on 2014 as that version, apart from the excellent CS6, seems to be the last version that works with the least amount of headaches.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 08, 2019 Apr 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Even though I'm making my living using your applications, I'm the typical first mover when it comes to updating to the latest versions of your software. It's a gamble, I know. The latest version of Photoshop CC, I had to uninstall because of the obnoxious blend mode live preview. Working with dusins (sometimes hundreds) of layers, the insane flicker scrolling down to your desired blend mode, has made it unbearable to work with. 

So please: give ud an option to disable it. I know, i know. It's fancy and all: but terrible to work with every day.

I know you can do it.

Kind regards

Henrik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

totally and completely agree. I work all the time with massive images (15,000px+) and watching Ps struggle with the redraws is not pleasing. Adobe did a fantastic job of making the preview be relatively quick, but there are many times when it's absolutely annoying and getting in the way of my job.

My suggestion would be to add the layer panel option to toggle this off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To disable live blend modes, do the following:
    LiveBlendModes 0

• macOS: //Users/[User Name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice. Thanks Adam. Hopefully we'll see a new pref pane in the near future for all the legacy toggles instead of needing to edit text files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, is it this simple? I’m going to install and test this workaround first thing tomorrow. Thanks Adam!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Adam, that worked.
However, I still must point out that these sorts of things should not be left to users changing values in a text file. (Let alone one which, at least for Windows users, is buried within hidden folders.) Any function like this should always come with, at the time of initial release, a corresponding option in the in-program preferences menus. I appreciate that it is unlikely that you specifically can do much about this, but the software development team as a whole should be aware of this and make this a priority for any and all new or altered functionality. Or not even a "priority", really, but simply a mandatory part of the implementation of any new or altered function. As far as I'm concerned if a function does not have an enable/disable option in the in-program menu then that function is incomplete and should not be included in a software release or update. It's like a chef dumping some raw ingredients in front of you and telling you figure out how to cook it yourself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't work for me... OSX Mojave 10.14.4 Photoshop CC 2019 20.0.4 Double checked file, name, location, etc. Quit and restarted PS... No luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't work for me... OSX Mojave 10.14.4 Photoshop CC 2019 20.0.4 Double checked file, name, location, etc. Quit and restarted PS... No luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Damian. I'm running the same version, and it works for me. Are you sure your text file is plain text? And named correctly?

Votes

Translate

Translate