Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Please Provide Support for the WebP Image format

LEGEND ,
Jul 04, 2013 Jul 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Photoshop Team (as well as the Illustrator and Edge Tools Team):

The format improves upon .jpeg and .png use cases today while at the same time providing 2x-3x smaller file sizes at the same, comparable quality settings.

According to the image specificaitons, "WebP supports lossless transparency (also known as alpha channel) with just 22% additional bytes. Transparency is also supported with lossy compression and typically provides 3x smaller file sizes compared to PNG when lossy compression is acceptable for the red/green/blue color channels" (https://developers.google.com/speed/w...).

Being able to used on the latest Android devices an the latest versions of Chrome and Opera (I know they both use Blink, and thus it isn't a surprise that both support it already), according to caniuse.com, it is sort of reasonable to consider I think.

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 21, 2022 Feb 21, 2022

Native WebP support was added to Photoshop 23.2: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new/2022-1.html#support-for-webp

Status Released

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 137 Replies 137
137 Comments
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Geoff. what may be missing is the relative popularity of the request. Even though this idea/suggestion has been posted for almost 6 years, it currently has only 38 followers and 50 "me toos."

So definitely for some users, it would be good and important if Photoshop natively supported WebP rather than needing to use a third-party plugin, but there does not yet appear to be a huge number of people asking for it. 

Obviously with every new release, the PS engineers have to juggle and decide which new features to work on and which to defer, while also trading off total program code size and overall performance, etc.

So adding native support for WebP may well be in the cards down the road, as WebP picks up steam and this request picks up critical mass.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 10, 2020 Jan 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its useless for anyone on Apple products- Apple is going with HEIF which is technically superior to WebP. Photoshop doesn't support that, either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 10, 2020 Jan 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its useless for anyone on Apple products- Apple is going with HEIF which is technically superior to WebP. Photoshop doesn't support that, either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This Internet is littered with WebP images now. Not being able to open them using Photosop it's not just improductive but ridiculous. Why isn't Adobe solving this? The original request was made 7 (seven) years ago. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We hit 7 now? Yay! Another anniversary!

I bet Adobe will add some sort of improved html/css export abilities before we get something useful like opening all common web image formats... 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 26, 2020 Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great !! Its work properly in my PC. But download link txt is too small, Many of new adobe user can't find that.Screenshot(19).png

https://msexcell.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 04, 2020 Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

External plugins didn't work for me. Photoshop crash when I try to convert an image in webp. I use PS for business. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The PlugIn works but there is still no support for generator and export as which is really annoying

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

none of the plugins works with Photoshop CC 2020

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This Plugin seems to do the job:

ENVIRONMENT
OSX 10.15.04, Photoshop 21.1.0 (2020)

WEBP PLUGIN 
https://developers.google.com/speed/webp/docs/webpshop
https://github.com/webmproject/WebPShop

INSTALLATION GUIDE
tells you how to remove OSX Quarantine amongst other things (written in German)
https://www.ifun.de/macos-catalina-plugin-oeffnet-webp-dateien-in-photoshop-148521/

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. It worked once I ran the installation guide through google translate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will give it a try. Thank you very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two years later, no native support for .webp?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 02, 2020 Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still in a holding pattern. Why is Adobe forcing us to third-party solutions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 05, 2020 Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eric - I too would like to see this as an open and Save As Web option. I don't like installing third party software on a work computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 01, 2020 Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really starting to needs this as a Web design/SEO Agency. Does anybody have any good workarounds? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 01, 2020 Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may take a look at my comment (2 months ago, #reply_20516188) KR, Jo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has an official Feature Request been opened?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 09, 2020 Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WebP will not liklely get traction because Apple won't support it. Without the iPhone, websites would be back to the fractured web with different sites for different browsers and nobody wants that. I'd rather see Google adopt HEIC, personally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very disappointing prioritization you're doing there.  We don't work for you, and shouldn't have to build your software for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps the old adage, "never trust anyone over 30" applies to Photoshop? Time to build new format opening, exporting and saving into PS CC 2020.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 18, 2020 Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, Apple now supporting WebP on macOS and iOS, so now all browsers are supporting it. So, Adobe CC needs to support it natively!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 18, 2020 Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aha, Safari 14 (released this week as optional download) now supports WebP. But that's hardly "all browsers" unless you want to design web sites that don't work for people who haven't downloaded this week's software. I'd give it another 5 years until it's reasonable to stop supporting Safari 13, though your clients may feel longer is better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 28, 2020 Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love using photoshop. I've created a website and blog with bluehost and wordpress.org. I need to convert what I create in photoshop from jpeg to WebP format for performance reasons.  Does photoshop plan on doing this conversion in the near future?  In your previous problem solving, are there any free plug-ins that you would recommend to convert to WebP? Can you recommend any references that I can refer to solve my problem? HELP!

Votes

Translate

Translate