• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Provide preference and preset syncing via the cloud (Presets, Preferences, Workspaces, etc)

Participant ,
Mar 31, 2011 Mar 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We need this in Photoshop:Save and sync brushes, actions and assets to the cloud!If i then log in to another computer (at my work..what ever) all my tools, patterns and so on are in sync.ps: could also be the workspace..

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 04, 2021 Jun 04, 2021

You can now sync presets to the cloud: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/sync-presets.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
81 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like this idea, too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really like this. I've moved over to keeping my Adobe presets in my dropbox account, but it would be great to see this implemented through CS Live.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this would be great - especally if you could choose which service you'd like to use. i know Adobe would need to include CS live but dropbox definetly has to be there as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd really love this. Good suggestion.

A fair amount of work, but would be handy for those with more than one computer they work from. (If it counts, I'm another Dropbox user, but would also be happy if this was a Photoshop.com thing, or similar.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if we could manage security on them with a third party site. We'll have to see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If adobe made this as a AIR app inside PS it can not be such a big deal can it? 🙂

It would be nice with a quick share function to share your assets, workspaces or what ever with friends and colleges - With a nice easy to use load, save, sync and export feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It will be great if there is a button to sync all in Photoshop between computers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Apr 02, 2011 Apr 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A long term frustration with many programmes like Photoshop, Lightroom Premiere, where your customised workspace and presets are so important to how you work, is the inability to simply export/import your preferences.
DIrectory Opus [an amazingly customisable programme] makes this very easy with a simply export and import facility. And for a few versions now, Opera the browser has been able to sync your browsers on various computers with your setting without you having to even do anything other than first set up the programme and sign in on different machines.
This implementation by Opera, would be a particularly useful tool for those who often need to do work on other people's computers as you could simply sign in using your Adobe LogIn and then get all your shortcuts and layouts that you are used to and then rest to previous setting when you log out.
I know I can sometimes get stumped when using other people's software at times as I have no idea where to find things with the standard layout and my shortcuts removed.

This could also back up your actions, brushes, presets etc.
And would also make testing of updates/betas a lot easier too

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Apr 02, 2011 Apr 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AJP Lawrence, I merged your topic with this one, seems it is very similar in nature.
I will just post a link to an useful script, that is somehow related: the migration assistant: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/860/cpsid_86... It will not move prefs from one version to the other, as they change between versions, but a good scripter might use it as a starting point to export Ps's presets...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 03, 2011 Apr 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export/Import Preferences and Workspaces in Photoshop. I can save and load just about everything in Photoshop, and do since I work in a multi-computer envrionment. Not these two critical ones. Please let that happen!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Apr 03, 2011 Apr 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ PECourtjoie - I recall looking at scripts a while back, but IIRC it was more hassle than simply manually locating and copying the various folders.

Also note my request is for all CS products, LR and Elements, not just PS. This could even be something handled by Bridge if using CS to do all your programmes in one fell swoop, just as it handle Colour Management for CS.

I've been requesting this for a very long time, so am pleased to see it is being considered at least.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 04, 2011 Apr 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't care if this saves to the cloud, I'd prefer a local save - but the idea is great. We need to be able to export and install Actions, Scripts, Workspaces, Presets, Preferences, Color Settings, Automations, and Configurator Panels in an easy way. These are all great features in PS, but when one uses multiple features, they become a pain to gather, then to install all in the right places.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. There are some institutions that don't allow saving to cloud based services, but I think the mechanism could be used to package up stuff locally for back-up, sneaker net or private network transfers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For local saving of Lightroom preferences, presets, etc. check out TPG LR Backup from Matt Dawson. It's brilliant and can be set to work automatically :
http://photographers-toolbox.com/prod...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: not being able to provide security w/ 3rd parties (dropbox) I dont use Lightroom much anymore but I remember a big advertised feature was flickr and facebook upload built in. So i think dropbox settings sync should be possible

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most excellent! Thanks for sharing. Again, the Lightroom community rocks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good point, Pierre. It probably wouldn't be too hard for someone in the community to pull something together pretty quick using that example.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great to see the interest in this idea!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Apr 05, 2011 Apr 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The huge benefit of syncing with the cloud is that if I add a new action in PS on my desktop, a new workspace in InDesign and a new preset in LR on my laptop is that I don't have to remember what I added to which software on what computer. Actions, presets and tweaks are always getting out of sync on my various machines and even if I could export import everything in one go then I may overwrite a new action or preset on one of the machines if doing a mass import of all settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see the point of using Drop Box. for several reasons.
I use DB myself, but it's a bit limiting and fiddly for things not in the DB folder.
As Chris says security.
And finally, you can already sign in and link to collaborative stuff in PS like CS Review and CS News and resources, so why not simply extend that ability further. Could Configurator be used to make a synchronizing Panel?

Lightroom can already upload entire websites online, so sending prefefs to Adobe severs is hardly a big stretch, particularly as you can already get a plug in from Photographer's Toolbox to export preferences. Combine these two abilities that already exist and LR at least is sorted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps there needs to be two things here - a synchronizing function and an export/import function. I understand your need to have multiple machines synchronized, but there is also a need to share one's settings with others (as in a teaching environment), or in environments where internet access isn't possible. What may work is a tool that listed all items (actions, workspaces, presets, scripts, etc.) with checkboxes, and an option to either export as a package or create a synchronized file in a given location (local drive, dropbox, etc.).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really like this idea too!
But I hope Adobe doesn't charge a ridiculous amount for the cloud service. If they do I simply won't use it, times are tough. Cover the cost but please give us a decent value and don't try to get rich off a nice feature to compliment the software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My original request is to be able to easily export and import settings with all the various benefits that will accrue. Syncing via the net is icing on the cake. I also agree that being able to choose exactly what bits need syncing is important too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David,

I think there are two levels of interest here. The first is being able to share the presets, etc via a cloud based service. The second is one where the sharing would take place within a closed network. As Jeffrey has already intimated, the first will almost certainly fall foul of the policies in place at quite a few corporate and governmental bodies. The second much less so. Therefore, if you do decide to take the idea forward (actually one that Joh Nack has been championing for years), I would ask that Adobe keep in mind those who have no option but to work within closed networks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am all for being careful about security but I am not sure how putting presets on an third party server is going to be any kind of security problem. Aren't presets just text files with pre-defined values for existing variables? Isn't there already some sanity/safety checking within LR and PS that validates these files? If so why is is a problem where they are stored? If I'm missing something I would be glad to be enlightened.

So if Adobe wants to provide a new service for this that would be great, but I already use Dropbox for other data and would rather not have to configure and maintain yet another special login/service that is functionally equivalent to what I already have in place.

Votes

Translate

Translate