Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Please don't remove normal map!

Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2023 Mar 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am very sad that you are planning to remove normal map tool from Photoshop. I'm making a game and creating a large amount of textures (PBR materials), in my opinion they're top quality and photorealistic, and I tested many most popular programs for materials, and all of them ended up being just useless time-wasting things with gimmic tools. Photoshop lets me create photorealistic materials exactly how I want, and doesn't do this and that thing with some weird algorithm, so I have to fix it by hand for half an hour then because it creates artifacts, every time. To be concrete I'm talking about the tool that makes a texture tileable, in Adobe 3D sampler.

I'm sure that MANY people have this opinion and are using the normal map tool in Photoshop. Just search ''how to create a normal map'' on Youtube, almost all of the videos are in Photoshop...

If somebody wants to see, I can post renders of the materials I've made 🙂 As I said it was the best quality/speed method.

Idea No status
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
4 Comments
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

parkety_renderasd2.jpg

This was pretty extreme as I made it from about 22 photos, having two parquettes at most in every photo. Then stitching it all in one texture. The image is from Corona renderer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They're trying to sell you a Substance subscription. You can find free tools that generate much nicer normal maps than Photoshop and Substance tbh; I use CrazyBump, but I'm told ShaderMap is also very good. (Substance Designer is very cool tho)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like I said, I even tried some Materialize but all of that is nonsense. Just look at the normal map in this, what more would you need? And if you're using these separate programs, it is time wasting...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I hope they're just replacing it with some kind of neural tool like that lovely depth tool they added.

IMO though you should probably use the substance programs. I think one of them has this functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate