• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Please? Session saving?

Explorer ,
Oct 11, 2022 Oct 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe it was Photoshop 3.0 when tabs were introduced. It was so nice being able to manage multiple images in a simple way. Since I've seen people ask over the years for a couple of things which I think would be very nice and shouldn't be too difficult now. So it's my turn I guess to ask. 

1.) Can we get a Save Session function? 
I know there's been a lot of discussion about a Save All function which usually comes down to - "what if I accidentally made edits to images being used as source material that I forgot about? If I save all and close up, when I come back I will realize I torched those images!" 
At the same time, when I have a lot of images and image parts open at one time and I need to walk away real quick, all I can do is save them all using a workaround, or walk away with everything up and running and come back to it later. Neither works well and over 22-23 years as images get more complex I think it's finally time for a solution that can allow us to quickly exit without losing, or committing to the work already done. 
As it is, the images already up are in a cache. Could we not get a button or menu item to simply preserve that cache as a session? This would be so incredibly nice! I could be in the middle of something and have someone bring something to me that is urgent for whatever reason, and rather than put more weight on the system or spend time leaving what I'm working on to switch gears, I could simply click file>Save session, give it a name and drop it in a folder, and.......OK. Maybe a checkbox to "Close this sessoin after saving?" and then on to other things. Then when I want to come back to it, I can. 
Even better, When it comes to long detailed projects, I've been through times when I gathered files from a number of places and then later didn't save them all together or remember exactly where I got them. Or if I did, sometimes the image wasn't there. But with this, all of those images would be right there in the same file right as I left them. I wouldn't have to recreate the session every time I needed to work on a project until it was comletely done. And then later if I wanted to I could decide on a session by session basis which ones I wanted to delete. 
I have no idea how much time this would have saved me over the years but I'm sure that it could ve counted in weeks. 
The state is already capable of being written or hibernate wouldn't work. I don't see any real barriers to this. 🙂 

Idea No status
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
9 Comments
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep thinking of benefits this would bring. For example, if the machine is having issues you could save the session and reboot. If you needed to move to another machine for some reason, you could do that. Or if someone just got in over their head and wanted to hand it off to someone else to rescue.... I'm sure I'll think of more. I actually had a second request but I got so wrapped up in this that I already forgot it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe it was Photoshop 3.0 when tabs were introduced.

By @sleerfnivek

Hi Kevin,

You posted to Ideas, so the Product Managers will look at this whether or not they decide to comment. And users who agree can Upvote. (Hint: you can, too. As of this writing there are zero upvotes.)

In my memory, it was not Photoshop 3.0 (my first version) that tabs were introduced, but instead Photoshop CS3.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 05, 2023 Aug 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally agree. Please add a "save session" button. It will definitely be very useful. I'm sure I'm not the only one who needs that option.
Greetings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 18, 2023 Oct 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should be fairly straightforward to implement and I can't imagine anyone that uses it heavily wouldn't benefit from it. If this is something you would like to see, then please upvote it. It's the only way they have to track which of the hundred+ requests to work on. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to allow me to upvote my own post. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@sleerfnivek – I have voted.

In the meantime, this could be scripted to various degrees.

You can currently use an action to save and or close and the batch command to run this on all open docs... This isn't very user-friendly, therefore a script with a custom keyboard shortcut would be better.

A script could also save the location of all open files to a log, then a script could also open all logged files so that you are back where you started after saving/closing all open files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2023 Nov 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2023 Nov 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CS4 was when Documents Tabs were introduced.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Nov 16, 2023 Nov 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate