• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Preferences: checksum at exit, during use; export?

Community Expert ,
Feb 09, 2023 Feb 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many issues can be cured by a reset of the preferences, that can be damaged during an improper shutdown, and I was wondering if there was no way to harden them: 

If there is none already, could there be some form of error-checking done at shutdown, or at regular intervals during use?

Another safety mechanism might be to save the prefences file to a backup state at boot, and work on a copy of those?

This way, the user with prefences issues could either roll back to previous, continue with current preferences, or use the default ones/reset them.

As an alternative, could we have a mechanism to export working known preferences using the import export preset mechanism?

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
3 Comments
Community Expert ,
Feb 09, 2023 Feb 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Feb 12, 2023 Feb 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think what's needed is an option to Save Current Prefs button in Prefs > General. That way, when you are happy with a set, you save it (backed up in Application Support), and then along with the Reset Prefs on Quit button, a Restore Prefs button.

One problem Adobe has created is ballooned the Prefs folder by adding replace sky images!

Photographer | Shangara.me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
Feb 12, 2023 Feb 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Saved Preference Presets would also go a long ways towards solving this. Every time i wipe Prefs, why do i need to go back and change the 30 or so settings back to my pref? Including all panels, etc. Kind of a sad joke that we can't save EVERYTHING in our workspaces. This could have been resolved decades ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate