• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reference layer for Photoshop (desktop)

Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2024 Mar 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like a "reference layer" feature in the desktop version of Photoshop. Fresco already has it and it works great, but I would also like this feature in the desktop version of Photoshop. Photoshop is my main illustration tool, which I mainly work with every day.

Adobe fresco has a feature where you can change the drawing's line layer to Reference layer. After the change, you can drop colors onto the new layer, but the colors remain behind the line and on their own layer. You can work with lines on their own layer and colors on their own layer.

Fresco - Reference layer - https://helpx.adobe.com/fresco/using/layers.html

Idea No status
TOPICS
Web

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
10 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2022 Nov 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like a "reference layer" feature in the desktop version of Photoshop. Fresco already has it and it works great, but I would also like this feature in the desktop version of Photoshop, which I mainly work with every day. I have been waiting for this feature for years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Describe how it looks like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree Ivan, not everybody knows how features of other apps work:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-ideas/how-do-i-write-a-feature-request/idi-p/1238...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yep. when I need a reference, I just put it on a new layer and that's it 🙂

But the topicstarter is a painter, I guess, and needs smth completely different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2022 Dec 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry about this. I'm an illustrator and I work a lot with line drawings. Adobe fresco has a feature where you can change the drawing's line layer to Reference layer. After the change, you can drop colors onto the new layer, but the colors remain behind the line and on their own layer. Thus, you can work with lines on their own layer and colors on their own layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2022 Dec 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I was unclear in my post. Most drawing programs include this function. For example, Fresco, Clip Studio Paint, Procreate etc.

The reference layer speeds up the workflow when you can drop the colors behind the drawn lines. You don't have to color every little spot separately. The reference layer keeps the lines on its own level and the colors of the drawing come to a new level under the reference layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2024 Mar 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like a "reference layer" feature in the desktop version of Photoshop. Fresco already has it and it works great, but I would also like this feature in the desktop version of Photoshop. Photoshop is my main illustration tool, which I mainly work with every day.

Adobe fresco has a feature where you can change the drawing's line layer to Reference layer. After the change, you can drop colors onto the new layer, but the colors remain behind the line and on their own layer. You can work with lines on their own layer and colors on their own layer.

Fresco - Reference layer - https://helpx.adobe.com/fresco/using/layers.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2024 Apr 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@CoryShubert Thank you for your message. I meant the desktop version of photoshop. I have been waiting for years for the reference layer to arrive in the desktop version of Photoshop. Here are a couple of sample images of the reference layer of Adobe Fresco, reference layer of Procreate and reference layer of Clipstudio.

fresco.jpg

procreate.jpg

ClipStudio.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Apr 19, 2024 Apr 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Pikkujekku 

You posted the same request in three different boards. I've merged them into the same thread. Please continue the discussion here and do not start a fourth thread elsewhere. Thank you!

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate