• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Smoothing Option (not the hardness, stroke smoothing) for the Lasso Tools

Explorer ,
Sep 02, 2022 Sep 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think having a smoothing slider (not the hardness slider, stroke smoothing)

Screenshot 2023-12-13 072153.png

Screenshot 2023-12-13 072207.png

just like the one in the brush tool would make precise selections with lasso tools much easier. Yes there is already a pen tool to select accurately but using lasso can speed up the process a lot when using a tablet.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
13 Comments
Community Expert ,
Sep 03, 2022 Sep 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How would this work with a selection tool like the lasso? What do you envision? A new tool, that would automatically open up a modal dialog window to enter options/slider etc?

An interim method could be to convert the selection to Quick Mask mode, interactively apply a filter (Median, Minimum, Maximum), and then exit Quick Mask mode. An Action (F-key) or Script (custom keyboard shortcut) could speed up the use. I looked into the Script Events Manager, however, I couldn't find an event for the lasso tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Sep 04, 2022 Sep 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

already have a plug-in with that feature. Smoothing can be applied to all tools such as pen tool as well as lasoo tool.

lazy nezumi pro << Look it up and see. Aren't those the functions you want?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it would be odd.  Personally... if you want precise precise then use the pen tool.

Or.... use a display tablet.  But the selection tools are getting better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all for your comments on my idea. I actually was not believing this idea would get comments 🙂

@Stephen_A_Marsh 
I really did not tought I was not clear enough of what I envision :). When using brush tool you hold and drag, just like you do with lasso. I am not a developer just tought it would be cool to have to speed up selections.

@Jqqerry
Thank you for the info. I am already aware of lazy nezumi, I was just thinking of having something built in, easier to use.

@KShinabery212 
I already use the pen tool for such selections, my offer is actually having an option to save time on such selections since pen tool was not build to hold and drag (which is way faster that point, click and drag) and not making it a selection unless you press another button.

I see the idea did not sound impressive to you guys, but thanks for taking time to write anyways

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@KP5FC7  Before Photoshop had the option of smoothing, that plug-in made those useful features first, so I think that smoothing option will be applied to a variety of tools in the future.
I personally felt it was necessary, but it's different from you. I always thought that I wanted the sensitivity to be more dull when adjusting the next path of pentool. I've been using the pen tool for more than 10 years, but with this feedback and hope, Photoshop is developing.
I agree with your idea thread

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@KP5FC7 – take nothing for granted in what others may or may not understand your request to be:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-ideas/how-do-i-write-a-feature-request/idi-p/1238...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jqqerry 
Thank you, also it sounds right to think they are already thinking of implementing smoothing to more tools actually 🙂

@Stephen_A_Marsh 
You are completely right sir, I was not trying to be sarcastic or anything. It is my fault I was not clear enough, thanks for asking me to be more clear

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@KP5FC7 – I have no idea what/if there are differences from a programming level between brushes and lasso. So you are suggesting something that affects the selection during the creation of the selection, not after the selection (I was thinking something like a post-selection "refine edge"). So my misunderstanding of your request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Stephen_A_MarshGlad we made that clear 🙂 thank you for trying to help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have an issue with the tablet and drawing precise lasso selections. Getting an accurate line is difficult.

I vote for this. A smoothing setting for the lasso tool, please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2023 Oct 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also feel the same need. I find the path tool to be too tedious for what I need to do (digital painting). Selection tool is already 90% perfect, a steadier stroke would be awesome. Unfortunately, it feels like the photoshop dev. team is full steam on AI developpement or other fancy tools, and there is not much improvement anymore on the legacy tools. I feel this improvement would be pretty easy to implement and really useful to many, but it's unlikely to happen with 4 votes in a year. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 06, 2023 Oct 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe and majority of its community doesn t value small usability improvements much as some other people. Sadly this argument is easy to validate by scrolling in this forum and considering how many small usability updates they released in the past years

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 06, 2023 Nov 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adobe, please just please add this feature 

Votes

Translate

Translate