Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

3D has stopped working, "OpenGL disabled."

Explorer ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Recently I have been unable to do any 3D work in Adobe Photoshop. If I make a 3D extrusion I get a preview of it but I can't make any changes to it or even roate the view. It's as if the preview is not updating. Additionally if I try to open an .OBJ file, Photoshop tells me 3D is disabled because OpenGL is disabled. I see no option for OpenGL however my graphics card is listed and enabled, including an option for OpenCL.

This used to work fine so I can only assume either a recent Photoshop update or a graphics driver update has caused this.

Can anyone help?

2021-05-28 17;28;21.png 2021-05-28 17;30;30.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Adobe are updating the core graphics functions in Photoshop. This is driven by the operating systems of Apple and Microsoft in which the old Open GL functions are being removed in the case of Apple, or deprecated in the case of Microsoft. This means that the graphics functions that have worked for years must be rewritten to use Metal and Direct X. At the same time, Adobe are sensibly updating those core functions to deliver the additional speed we require to handle the very large files of today.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe are updating the core graphics functions in Photoshop. This is driven by the operating systems of Apple and Microsoft in which the old Open GL functions are being removed in the case of Apple, or deprecated in the case of Microsoft. This means that the graphics functions that have worked for years must be rewritten to use Metal and Direct X. At the same time, Adobe are sensibly updating those core functions to deliver the additional speed we require to handle the very large files of today.

Some functionality in Photoshop, such as 3D, still relies on the older Open GL graphics functions. To make these work, an additional preference Preferences>Technology previews>Deactivate Native Canvas has been added. This can be checked and Photoshop restarted to restore 3D functions to where they were in 22.3

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2021 Jul 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Dave this was driving me nuts!!! Problem solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are my Hero too 😉 ! i went crazy for 2 days with same problem ... 3D Photoshop didn't work, issue to enable Open GL and everything i tried was useless.

Thank you so so much Dave !

Bye

Gian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are my hero! I was getting crazy and giving up! After 3 days of searching, updating, uninstalling, installing even in safe mode of everything - AMD, Intel, Photoshop, Windows etc .. Searching Youtube, communities, google and finally I find your "simple" answer that I will never forget and is worth everything! It still says I need to enable openGL drawing on the 3D tab in settings but it works! The positive thing is that now everything is up to date and I know more than before! Wish you the best!

BR Lotta

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2021 Aug 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I had a similar issue, I clicked on Technology Preview, which is right down at the bottom. Then click Deactivate Native Canvas, and like magic 3d functionailty is back. It wasn't doing anything before just a preview, then it freezes.

Thanks for your help... I hope this doen't mean my Mac is getting old and one day soon it won't be compatible with a new CC update.

Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm having the OpenGL disabled problems, except deactivating native canvas didn't work. After I did this I restarted photoshop so that it would apply and recieved the same message. Any help would be appreciated. (use graphics processor is enabled, my graphics card is compatible, photoshop is updated, and my drivers are up to date)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Dave, this issue was driving me crazy, thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: despite being up-to-date, I reinstalled my NVIDIA driver. The error has stopped appearing but I'm still not able to get any live preview on 3D objects in the scene. The only way I can see what's there is by rendering the scene. I've tried Basic, Normal and Advanced Drawing Modes in my Advanced Graphics Processor Settings but it makes no difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you Deactivate Native Canvas and restart as advised earlier?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I posted that second comment without realising you'd replied. Yes, disabling that worked, thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2023 Jun 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, @davescm. Nice to write you. I’ve the same OpenGl functionality problem to open .OBJ files. Firstly, I’ve checked my GPU Compatibility and PS displayed this message:

AndrsFelipe30669852crz8_0-1687485778812.png

After that, I’ve checked the performance preferences and confirmed the graphics processors settings (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650) where PS detected the error in the display player, recommending the update or driver reinstall to check again and select the disabled itself option “Use Graphics Processor” as shown:

AndrsFelipe30669852crz8_1-1687485945072.png

In that sense, I’ve proceeded to download the last version of GTX 1650 and install the update number 536.23:

AndrsFelipe30669852crz8_2-1687485985008.png

Finally, I’ve followed your suggestion deactivating “native canvas” and restarting PS many times but didn’t work:

AndrsFelipe30669852crz8_3-1687486048638.png

So, well … I don’t know what’s the next step to fix the problem. If you could help me, I’’LL APPRECIATE IT A LOT!

Btw, my system info is:

“Adobe Photoshop Version: 23.4.1 20220615.r.547 3121b66  x64

Number of Launches: 142

Operating System: Windows 11 64-bit

Version: 11 or greater 10.0.22621.1900”

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,

Andrés. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 22, 2023 Jun 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3D is deprecated in Photoshop and is being removed. The last version recommended by Adobe for 3D work was v22.2.

As far as the GPU driver - I use the Studio drivers, always choose Advanced options and clean install so that remnants of previous drivers are not carried forward, and I never install GeForce Experience, that is for games and is not needed for creative use.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2023 Jun 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I see, that's the reason of trouble because two or three months ago, the version 23.4.1 was running 3D functions without any problem. Was in that period that my system crashed for this update. So ... in other words, I need to delete this version and reinstall the PS v 22.2. 

Respecting the GeForce Experience, you're absolutely right, it's for gaming and corresponding to my laptop factory settings, because I've an Asus rog series. Yesterday, I didn't use the advanced options to udpate and also didnt clean previous install driver. In that sense, I just want to know if it's necessary to change my driver again, deleting the v 536.23 and reinstalling by using advanced options and the same way if it's necessary change the for studio version, considering no additional bugs with PS in the past. 

Thanks again, Dave.

Sincerely,

Andrés. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 23, 2023 Jun 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There have been some reports in these forums of problems with the latest driver. I use Studio driver 531.61 here with no issues. If you do step back to that driver - definitely clean install.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines