Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Action executes perfectly within file, fails when Batching

Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Photoshop 22.4.2 on BigSur 11.4

I've created an Action that I'm using to open a folder of PSD files, crop them square, and save as a JPEG.

The Action runs perfectly as expected when running it on an open file in Photoshop.

Before:

MPeckover_0-1623788525662.png

After:

MPeckover_1-1623788556688.png

Note that the all the commands completed and a JPEG was saved into the folder on the left.

Closeup of the Action:

MPeckover_2-1623788600300.png

I have ~100 PSD files to apply this to, plus other actions/batches I would like to execute in the future, but when I close the open file and use File>Automate>Batch to run the action on a folder of PSDs, the batch fails with a "The command "Select" is not currently available" which is the first command in the Action. This repeats for every command.

Batch window:

Screen Shot 2021-06-15 at 4.38.19 PM.png

Error popup:

MPeckover_4-1623788787818.png

Things I've tried:

• Running the Action without the beginning "Select" (assuming maybe the file opens with the layer already selected, and is unable to select it again) returns the same error with "The command "Duplicate" is not currently available". The file that I tested the Action on is also the first file in the folder, so it is the one causing the hiccup in the batch.
  • Also tried running the Batch using local folders rather than on a network drive, same result
  • Tried with another PSD at the beginning of the folder, same result
  • Batching using other Actions (that also work within files) also doesn't work
  • Restarted Photoshop
  • Restarted Mac

Not sure what I'm doing wrong? I use Actions regularly but haven't tried to Batch in about a year. Has any one else experienced problems like this? Thanks!

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

I didn't follow this thread, just looked at your original post and I think you should record to your action 'open' item (of any file from any location), that should happen before 'Selecting Layer' item. I mean if there's in batch 'Override Action "Open" Commands' then your action should start from it? Without any document opened by action and controlled via batch you're getting error dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
People's Champ ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There should be an empty Photoshop window without "Open" buttons and icons with files. You may need to restart Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't follow this thread, just looked at your original post and I think you should record to your action 'open' item (of any file from any location), that should happen before 'Selecting Layer' item. I mean if there's in batch 'Override Action "Open" Commands' then your action should start from it? Without any document opened by action and controlled via batch you're getting error dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently you're the first person who looked at my post before replying, because this was the issue, thanks a bunch!

"Override Open" worked opposite of what I expected, which was causing the issue. Photoshop was trying to run an Action item without a file open!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah.

Well then you should enable "Override Save As" because you have "save as JPG" in action.

Otherwise you will resave your PSD (I think so) : )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps it could resave the open file if chosen batch destination would be same as opened file. When locations are different possibly enabling that option is not needed to avoid oversaving.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't use batch, but my logic was, if so many experienced useres tried to find solution and everyone failed that had to be something they missed, something little and literally stupid 😛

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2022 Dec 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what was the solution that didn't involve some other method of batching?  I'm having the same exact problem out of nowhere on an action that has worked for years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 28, 2022 Dec 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So what was the solution that didn't involve some other method of batching?  I'm having the same exact problem out of nowhere on an action that has worked for years.

By @Bobby6C14

If the action includes a recorded open step, then the Batch option for "override action open options" may need to be checked.

If the action includes a recorded save/save as step, then the Batch option for "override action save options" may need to be checked (does not work for recorded export save for web).

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/processing-batch-files.html#process_a_batch_of_files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines