• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adding gradient masks to a layer.

Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I commonly have used the gradient tool to mask portions of an image layer (coming in from the edge of an image posted in to a new layer), thus varying the opacity of the edge of the image, creating a soft blend. I could add to the gradient mask, coming in from other angles by holding down the "Shift" key, and repeating the process.

For some time, however, using the "Shift" key has not worked (in newer versions of Photoshop). The second mask simply replaces the first. Is there a way (which key do I hold down) to add gradient (opacity) masks to achieve blends from multiple angles in a single layer?   I am on a Mac. Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 22, 2021 Jun 22, 2021

You’re welcome! 

And you were certainly not the only Photoshop user annoyed by the changed Save As-behaviour. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the Tool’s Blend Mode and what did it use to be perviously? Normal versus Multiply maybe? 

Could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, …) visible? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well a good question. I did not choose a Blend Mode in the past (don't know if that option existed in the past). I will try a test now and see if choosing the "proper" Blend Mode will work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason, happily, I am now able to overlay the gradient masks and the later ones "add to", do not replace the earlier ones. So it is working. The "shift" key just confines the mask "direction" to the vertical or horizontal axis.  So the issue seems resolved in this latest iteration of Photoshop (have noticed a new twist in saving a PSD file with multiple layers as a JPEG... must flatten first or the JPEG option does not appear in the Save As dialog box).  Couldn't really figure out the Blending Options choices, but don't seem to have to do that, as I am able to do what I want to do now. 

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again: Could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, …) visible? 

If you did not use the Blend Modes then you most likely used the wrong gradient for your intents – black to white instead of Foreground Color to transparent for example. 

»must flatten first or the JPEG option does not appear in the Save As dialog box«

Have you bothered reading the »What’s New«-section of the Help? 

You can use Save a Copy (cmd-alt-S) or check Photoshop > Preferences > File Handling > Enable legacy »Save As«

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2021 Jun 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Excellent thoughts on all fronts. I appreciate your clear response. I guess I did not read the "What's new" section... but now I'm clear on both issues. Thank you so much again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 22, 2021 Jun 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You’re welcome! 

And you were certainly not the only Photoshop user annoyed by the changed Save As-behaviour. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines