• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Bridge opens files by default in Photoshop 2020

Explorer ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the latest updates to Photoshop and Bridge, I lost sky selection. When looking closer, I found that Bridge 2021 is set to open my files in Photoshop 2020 by default. Did not find anything in preferences to fix this.

How do I get Bridge 2021 to open my files in Photoshop 2021 again?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Open Preferences in Bridge > go to File Type Associations > change the default for .psd to Photoshop 2021 (and jpg, png, etc., if desired).

If Sky Replacement is not in your Edit menu in PS, check which version is open:

• Mac: PS menu > About
  • Win: Help menu > About

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open Preferences in Bridge > go to File Type Associations > change the default for .psd to Photoshop 2021 (and jpg, png, etc., if desired).

If Sky Replacement is not in your Edit menu in PS, check which version is open:

• Mac: PS menu > About
  • Win: Help menu > About

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RESOLVED!

Changed the default file associations in Bridge from Photoshop 2020 to 2021. Quite a job to do it for all file types. Hoped there would have been a simpler solution to do it in one step.

Adobe, please fix your updates so that this does not happen again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this is a work around and I know it Bites but uninstall bridge re install bridge with updated photoshop version installed before bridge installation. Its true programmers are over payed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2022 Nov 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Overpaid. Yes! [ Removed by Moderator ]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 22, 2023 Feb 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the re-install tip. That might be easier than going through and updating each default open with setting. I was really miffed that my files were opening in an older version, and sometimes I didn't notice until too late.  (Another option that works, I think, is to have PS open first. Then when opening a file from Bridge, it will use the open version of PS).

Mark @ MCO Fine Art

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2023 Feb 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There is a deeper structural problem here, and it's not as easy as it sounds.

The problem is that only one application (version) can hold the default file associations at any given time.

When that application is uninstalled, it will/should return file associations to the operating system. But, here's the thing, it can't hand them over to a newer version of itself, that didn't even exist at the time it was written. It can't even know what this newer version, if ever installed, will be formally called.

And actually, there is a fool-proof and fail-safe procedure to deal with this: always install and uninstall in strict version order. Last in, first out, no exception. Then these problems never happen. It should be possible for the CC installer to acommodate this, but it doesn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 21, 2023 Feb 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made sure the jpg file association was Photoshop, but it still defaults to Lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines