Adobe Creative Cloud Nearing End for My Mac

New Here ,
Jun 27, 2021 Jun 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am reaching  a point where I will need to move off of Adobe applications.

I am a prophotographer working in an older MacPro platform. Even with a new graphics card, I am unable to upgrade to MacOS Mojave, which means I cannot update my Adobe apps. 

Even if I could update to Mojave, Adobe leaves behind previous macOS and will continue to do so. My Mac works just fine! I cannot afford to spend $10,000 on a new MacPro just so I can use Photoshop and Lightroom. 

Many of us will be facing the same issue. What will Adobe do? Leave us the apps that work? Or force us off entirely. (And no I am not going to a PC.) 

I seriously want to know. Can I continue to use what works on my Mac now, snd will I continue to be able to? 

TOPICS
Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe will not support legacy Mac hardware or operating systems. Even Apple limits its own support and sunsets old systems.

As you're aware, when your Adobe subscription expires or is cancelled, you lose access to the software included in your plan. As Creative Cloud software advances, modern Mac hardware and operating systems will always be required.

I don't see any need to spend $10K on a new system just to keep Photoshop and Lightroom in your workflow. I've certainly never spent that much on new system.

As a pro (or even a hobby) photographer, $2K-$3K on a new iMac or MacBook Pro every few years would be a good enough investment to keep your business going.

If you really want to get off the subscription merry-go-round, perhaps consider Capture One or even Photoshop Elements as pay-once-own-forever options.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 2020 will handle High Sierra 10.13 and can be installed under "other versions". It should do until you find a way to upgrade your system.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/system-requirements/2020.html

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple has a list of Metal compatible graphics cards for the 2010/2012 Mac Pro

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208898

YouTube is full of videos about upgrading and installing Mojave, Catalina and Big Sur on the 2010/2012 Mac Pro.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@DianaPhotographer wrote:

Many of us will be facing the same issue. What will Adobe do? Leave us the apps that work?

You should be able to keep using the versions you have now, because they will not be automatically deleted from your Mac even though they may disappear from the Adobe Creative Cloud desktop app. If you make the choice to stay with your current versions, then you just need to be OK with these consequences:

• If the versions you are using now no longer appear or stop appearing in the Adobe Creative Cloud desktop app, do not uninstall them. Or, if you must uninstall them, prepare in advance to locate and download their legitimate installers, if available, from ProDesignTools. Or, begin maintaining complete backups of your entire Mac system volume so that if something goes wrong, you can quickly restore the system and your current Adobe applications without reinstalling. 
  • Consider staying with your current camera and other hardware too, or at least research carefully before buying a new camera. Raw formats of the latest cameras may not be supported by older versions of software by Adobe. And here, you could be affected even if you stopped using Adobe software, because many non-Adobe photo applications depend on macOS for their camera raw support. For example if you buy a new Canon R5 it is not supported by the built-in Apple raw support in macOS Mojave, but Apple does support it in later versions. 
  • Apple supports only the last 3 major versions for security updates. When macOS 12(?) Monterey is released this fall, Mojave will probably no longer be eligible for security updates because it will then be the fourth version back behind macOS 10.15 Catalina, macOS 11 Big Sur, and Monterey. So Mojave may become vulnerable to new Internet hacks.

@DianaPhotographer wrote:

Even if I could update to Mojave, Adobe leaves behind previous macOS and will continue to do so. My Mac works just fine! I cannot afford to spend $10,000 on a new MacPro just so I can use Photoshop and Lightroom. 

One thing that may become clear from what I wrote above is that sticking with older Macs gets more complicated with Apple as well as Adobe. But what has changed is that your $10,000 number no longer applies. Photoshop and Lightroom run well on much less expensive Macs than that. Many Mac users seem to be pleased with how well they run on the new M1 Apple Silicon processor, and several have said their M1 Mac Mini ($699 and up) or M1 iMac is faster than their old Mac Pro. So the cost of getting high performance Mac hardware for photography has gone down a lot since Apple released their M1 processor.

Current Apple Silicon Macs have replaced the low end of the Mac line, but are proving powerful enough for graphicis pros. If you need more power and options such as more ports and better discrete graphics, wait a little longer for the next wave of Apple Silicon Macs which is expected to replace at least the mid-level Macs. (I am waiting for those.)

In my opinion there is not much justification for a photographer to buy the current Intel-based Mac Pro. Yes, it would be a good photography Mac, but at that price it is just not a good value for photography. Just about every advanced feature of the current Mac Pro is designed to help high-end, very high resolution video editing and there it may justiify its cost — but it is not a good value for photogaphy.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines