Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Photoshop 22: text carriage return is not working

Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2021 Jul 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
I'm using Adobe Photoshop 22.4.2 on Windows 10 64bits. I noticed an issue with the text layer. When editing the text and pressing Enter (text one or number one), Photoshop is validating the text edit on my layer and not performing a carriage return as it should do by default. I tried several shortcuts combinaisons, without being able to perform a text carriage return in the app. I tested on Adobe Illustrator and it's working correctly as expected.

I uninstalled, downgraded to v22.0, reset the user preferences, all without success. I tested on my mac, same version and it's working fine. The issue is only with the version I have on Windows.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Pierre

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 10, 2021 Jul 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Pierre-Eliott - Dalet wrote:

not performing a carriage return

Hi

The first thing to ask is which Enter you are using — the one on the alphabetic keypad or the one on the numeric keypad, as they are not the same. Don't use the Numeric keypad Enter.

On your Mac you will use Return and not numeric keypad Enter.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 11, 2021 Jul 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jane,

Thanks for the tip. However, Photoshop is not behaving as default by conducting a carriage return in the text paragraph block when using the alphabetic keyboad on my Windows version. As I said, on the same laptop, it's working correctly with Adobe Illustrator.

I also checked that no other third party software might "geopardize" the shortcuts.

Pierre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 11, 2021 Jul 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Pierre-Eliott - Dalet 

Here are a couple of things to try:

• Can you look in Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts to see if the shortcut for a Enter got reassigned to accept the Text edit instead of start a new paragraph?
  • Are the Keyboard Shortcuts using the Default set or does it say (modified)?
  • As a temporary workaround and for testing purposes, does Shift+Enter (line break) work?
  • Try resetting the Type tool: right-click the Type tool in the options bar (not Tools panel) and Reset.

Also, it's hard to see: are you clicking to create Point text or dragging first to create Area text? Try both to see if Enter works with either.

As a last resort, when PS acts flaky, and this qualifies, then you need to reset Preferences after backing up customization: 

Prefs > General > Reset Preferences on Quit.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 05, 2021 Sep 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @jane-e 

I tried all the above, without success, including reseting the preferences. I still face the issue.

Pressing the main Enter key or number enter key results in stopping editing the text.

Pressing shift + enter trigger the 3d layer tool on the selected text.

I doubled checked and I don't have any 3rd party tool running in parallel, impacting the keyboard behaviour. I can of course perform correctly a carriage return on any other application. It's also working on Adobe Illustrator. Only Adobe Photoshop is impacted.

Thanks for your help.

Pierre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2022 Jul 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same issue in Photoshop using Windows. For some reason now when I am in text and press return to start a new line, it simply exits the text box.  I have tried all of these suggestions and cannot figure it out. Please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Brandon22988387bzpk wrote:

I am having this same issue in Photoshop using Windows. For some reason now when I am in text and press return to start a new line, it simply exits the text box.  I have tried all of these suggestions and cannot figure it out. Please help.

Several questions were asked in this thread. Can you please address each of them so we can better assist?

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a new issue for me. When I type in a text box and hit "enter" to move down to another line, it simply exits the text box. I cannot make a paragraph, only a single line of text. I tried hitting shift-enter, restoring tool, making sure it is still on default settings, etc. Not sure why all of a sudden the enter button takes me out of text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Brandon22988387bzpk wrote:

"I have tried all of these suggestions and cannot figure it out"

You said you tried everything in this thread but you haven't shared your results. Here are the things you haven't told us yet:

• Which Enter are you using? (Windows does not have a "Return" key.)
  • Did you look in Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts to see if the shortcut for a Enter got reassigned to accept the Text edit instead of start a new paragraph? What does it say?
  • Are the Keyboard Shortcuts using the Default set or does it say (modified)?
  • What actually happens when you press Shift+Enter (line break) ?
  • Are you clicking to create Point text or dragging first to create Area text? Try both to see if Enter works with either.
  • Did you reset Preferences after backing up customization? 

Prefs > General > Reset Preferences on Quit.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. I have a Gateway laptop. I am using the only button that says "Enter" on it. The button I have always used to create a new line.

2. This one I do not understand. I cannot find a shortcut for "Enter". Where is that located? Bottom says to click "New Set" button, but I do not see such that button either.

3. It says "Photoshop Defaults"

4. When I hit Shift+Enter it does an "extrusion from text layer" and makes the text line a 3 dimensional font.

5. If I do an area, it will do multiple lines, but hitting the enter button still does not work. Again, it has always worked. It does not now and I have not made any changes.

6. I reset preferences. Lost all of my preferences, but still does not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2023 Jun 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try Function and Enter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2023 Jun 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you look in Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts to see if the shortcut for a Enter got reassigned to accept the Text edit instead of start a new paragraph?

How to check that????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 27, 2023 Nov 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Funny story I had a similar issue but it was because I put a space after the last word and until I removed the space and pressed enter it would not let me go to the next line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 25, 2023 Dec 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That fixed it for me. A weird bug to be sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 25, 2023 Dec 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had to replace my keyboard. 😞

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines