• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

All of a sudden, Photoshop 2021 (just updated) will not launch on Mac M1 Big Sur 11.3.1

New Here ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Earlier today PS 2021 would not launch, so I tried uninstalling it, rebooting, reinstalling newest version. The app starts to launch, and offers the project "new / open" selector page, and at that point is crashed in memory - with the only option to Force Quit. 

I have tried multiple uninstall/reinstall cycles at this point. Is this a known problem on M1 Big Sur 11.3.1? Any workarounds that anyone knows about? I've reported this in the app crash reporter multiple times at this point. 

Thanks for any ideas - cannot do any work until resolved...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

I called Adobe support, and after some Q&A the rep asked to do a remote control session to find the problem and solution. It looks like there is a permissions change in Mac OSX and the installer may not set permissions on a couple of folders correctly - which causes app startup to lock up. With those folder permissions changed, it now starts correctly.

It looks like the specific folders may be different sometimes, but in particular, you'll probably see Adobe Creative Cloud complain that it cannot

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem,  PS 2021 would not launch,  I tried uninstalling it, rebooting, reinstalling newest version. The app starts to launch, but sometimes only get to black page and hangs, it if launch with photoshop file it opens it then hangs, if I open from cloud opens as far as flamingo - with the only option to Force Quit. 

I am not getting anywhere with support, have to try again today.

Can anyone help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem.
Tried everything, reboot, reinstall, nothing works Version 22.4.1
Version 22.4 also freezes immediately after starting.
Resetting the preferences did not bring any improvement either.
The last working version on Mac M1 Big Sur 11.3.1 is version 22.3.1.

Does anyone have an idea
Many thanks in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I called Adobe support, and after some Q&A the rep asked to do a remote control session to find the problem and solution. It looks like there is a permissions change in Mac OSX and the installer may not set permissions on a couple of folders correctly - which causes app startup to lock up. With those folder permissions changed, it now starts correctly.

It looks like the specific folders may be different sometimes, but in particular, you'll probably see Adobe Creative Cloud complain that it cannot write to one or more folders. If those permissions are opened up, then things may run much better. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At least for me, I have now found a solution.
On the Creative Cloud Support web pages there is a file called LightroomCorrectPermission.sh

I ran this and lo and behold, Photoshop 22.4.2 runs without a hitch.
Also the neural filters work.

https://helpx.adobe.com/content/dam/help/en/lightroom-classic/kb/lightroom-basic-troubleshooting-fix...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you provide the link to the page that refers to the file rather than the direct download link? I'd like to see what discussion, if any, there was about this. I tried searching, and came up empty.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nevermind. I found the troubleshooting page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to keep replying to myself, but there's no edit button. Running this file in terminal fixed the issue for me. Version 22.4.2 no longer crashes on launch. Prior to trying this, I had to revert to an earlier version of Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

None of the 22.x.x versions worked for me and kept freezing. Try installing the 21.2.9 version. I did and it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines