Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Automation - Batch export Artboards to pdf

New Here ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I have a problem with Artboards to pdf. I have 100 psd with 2 artboards in each and i want to batch export to obtain 100 (2 pages) PDF. I created an action for Artboards to pdf and used it within Automate/batch but everytime i start the Batch process, theres a pop up asking me to run the script.

So i have : 100 psd with 2 Artboards

Want: 100 pdf with 2 pages each 

Need: Process is automatic

Is it possible to do ? 

Thank you!

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your batch action used a "Save As" PDF  to save a PDF the action will become interactive and can no longer be batched as of Photoshop 22.4 you may be able to edit the action and change the "Save As" PDF  step to a "Save a Copy" PDF. The "Save a Copy" step may add a  " copy" suffix to the saved pdf  file Name.  The Action will not longer work in Photoshop version prior to Photoshop 22.4 So you may want to have two actions.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not tested, however I have a feeling that Photoshop may only be able to save a multi-page PDF using the presentation feature.

It should be possible to edit the Artboards to PDF script to remove the GUI. I'd need to look at the PDF presentation code to see how it could possibly be used by another script. Both of these custom scripting tasks are not so easy for a casual scripter such as myself.

Do you have access to Acrobat Pro?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save as a copy (previously pdf) doesnt work with artboards.... it save as a 1 page pdf sadly.

I tried the Photoshop multipage using the presentation feature but it doesnt work for Artboards. I feel like its a scripting solution too but i'm clueless in this field. I don't have acess to Acrobat Pro.

Thanks for your replies

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not create web assets so I have never used Photoshop's  Artboard feature so I do not know how the feature works.  On Windows and most likely on  Mac running a versions of macOS prior to version 10.1.5  Save As works from scripts as before 22.4 you do not need to use Save a Copy.  In any case you will need to Update your  Batch Action for Photoshop 22.4 to use "Save a Copy" or use a Script step to use a document saveAs.  I would think Export would ali work for it is designed to be used for creating web files. You can use this script to test if a saveAs script will work on you machine.  The script should save the current document as a PDF on your desktop.

If you can use a Script step in your action the action should work in Photoshop versions prior to 22.4 as well as versions 22.4 and up

"SaveDesktopPdf.jsx"

var Name = activeDocument.name;
var pdfFile =  new File('~/Desktop/' + Name);
SaveAsPDF(pdfFile, 10);
function SaveAsPDF(saveFile, jpegQuality){
	var doc = activeDocument;
	pdfSaveOptions = new PDFSaveOptions();
	pdfSaveOptions.alphaChannels = true;
	pdfSaveOptions.embedColorProfile = true;
    pdfSaveOptions.encoding = PDFEncoding.JPEG;
    pdfSaveOptions.jpegQuality = jpegQuality;
	activeDocument.saveAs(File(saveFile+".pdf"), pdfSaveOptions, true,Extension.LOWERCASE);
}

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 04, 2021 Jun 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JJMack 

It appears that you have missed the following:

* Each file contains 2 artboards

* Both artboards need to be saved in a single multipage document

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wrote I have never used Photoshop Artboard feature I do not know how the feature works, I do not create web content. I clearly stated that.  I do not know what you mean "saved in a single multipage document"  all I save in photoshop are Image Files.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A PDF can contain multiple pages.

The standard methods of saving an image as a PDF in Photoshop create a single page document. This is not what the OP requires.

Photoshop's PDF Presentation option can create a multipage PDF file.

It appears that the Artboards to PDF script leverages the PDF Presentation method to create a multipage PDF. 

Editing the script is not so easy for me, it is rather advanced.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I will admit I created PDF presentation slide shows many years ago in Photoshop.  These days I just store Image files on Amazon drives and have  Alexa show them on my Amazon devices and  4k  TV.   Though I have Scripted Saving Photoshop PDF file from layer Documents as an option document saveAs PDF still work in a script.  Adobe  just change  Save As UI operation and Action Save AS operation.   Myself I do not save PDF from Photoshop I save PSD files,  I know Photoshop PDF and Tiff file format support layers myself  I do not use Tiff and PDF. Users use Photoshop differently.

I only Hack at Scripting.  I do not know Javascript and can not even type.   Scripting is labor intensive for me,

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines