Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

B/W to Color Issues

Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey All, 

So I am transforming my grandmothers wedding photos to color for her anniversary. All of them are coming out excellent except for this one. The white balance was off already because it's a copy of a copy. The others aren't as diluted from the original. I am thinking that's probably why I'm having issues. 

Anyway, so you can see from the image that the white is horrid. It's alright if I don't try to reduce the brightness of the white. But then it's uber over powering the rest of the photo. I'm using a selective color adjustment layer to pull out the brightness on the white. I've also tried a brightness/contrast with a mask on them and it still gives the odd 2 tone affect on the white. So I figured I use a color blending mode and feather in the white where it shows darker, but that's not working (it worked on the red). I also tried a mask with a curve's adjustment. I'm at a stand still. Anyone have any ideas? 

Oh, and if you look at the one by herself you'll see the lace pattern on the dress. I would love to get that pattern inserted on the washed out one, but I can't figure that one out.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The whites are clipped.

That means there is no information left. All values are pinned at 255-255-255. There is nothing to recover.

If you want detail and texture here, you have to make it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»If you want detail and texture here, you have to make it.«

That could be painting, inserting parts of other images, …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay I figured that, but that only answers the second half very much the least of my concerns, if the details are gone they are gone. 

My biggest concern is when I try to reduce the brightness of the white it has discoloration and nothing I do seems to fix the discoloration. I've tried a few things see my OP. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay so here's another version, when selecting my grandparents and applying a select color mask to reduce the whitewash brightness. This is what I get. If I try a brightness adjustment instead I get a similar effect. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wanted to solve the same thing for The My Wedding anniversary photos. I read all your problems but it is not the same as my problem. If you can get a solution then I will also get the solution for my anniversary photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please post the images on this Forum. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines