• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Make the brush cursor easier to see (too thin, not enough contrast with some colors)

Explorer ,
Dec 02, 2019 Dec 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In last updates I'm having problem seeing brush (paint and healing) cursor when working with colors similar to cursor grey (grey or brown midtones for expamle).

Sometimes cursor changes to white, but for very short time and very randomly.

So it's really hard to see where I'm just gonna paint or heal. It is really annoying and tiring.

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

If you want to try the new Brush Cursor options in the  Photoshop (Beta) 

Screen Shot 2022-11-08 at 11.57.20 AM.png

How to use:

1. Create a text file
  2. Save the file as a plain text file named PSUserConfig.txt
  3. In the Text file add this…

BrushTipOutlineStrokeWidth 3

(0-3) This Increases the brush cursor outline.
    0 is the default in the shipping version of Photoshop.
    This Beta is using 1 as a default.
    999602978d9r.png (Thank you Scott Valentine for making this graphic!

4. Save the file/Place the file in the Photoshop settings folder:

For Windows: \Users\[Use

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

We are aware of cases that a brush icon can be difficult to see.

Making it stand out more strongly would be very useful and we are evaluating solutions for all the platforms we support.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 427 Replies 427
427 Comments
Advisor ,
Dec 02, 2019 Dec 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Too complicated on the random looking website page. Didn't see anything related to feature suggestions there. If you think it's a good idea, perhaps you will do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 03, 2019 Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to say this is not the only pain with cursors.

They get stuck often, for example whike working with clone stamp, it's getting stuck in source mode and doesn't change back to target mode, so I can't clone, or while using hand tool with spacebar, it shows hand, but I cannot move with canvas. The only help is to switch from photoshop and back.

And not to mention photoshop's problems with alt key, which somhew gets stuck (like it is pressed even if it's not) often.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In photoshop CC 2014, the cursor when using certain tools become circular in shape. This cursor changes colour depending on the background colour of the part of the image the mouse is over to make it more visible. Unfortunately with backgrounds of RGB (117,117,117) or close to that it is black with a very thin white border, making it incredibly hard to see. If the cursor was white like with backgrounds of RGB (100,100,100) it would be much more visible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about change the kind of brush line to an smooth vector with "exclusion MODE" or invert color.

Today we have a Simple anti-alias line and sometime is very difficult to see here the circle are.

In my idea, if brush are to small, the stroke automatically change to fill circle with "exclusion MODE" or invert color.

Otherwise keep like my image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be great if Adobe will offer colors when using the "brush" icon in photoshop. Such as the color choice when using "Rulers". When using a small brush size it is often a challenge looking to see where the brush is on the screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On both Photoshop 2018 and 2019 the brush cursor using any tool involving the brush, e.g. brush, spot healing brush,  is sometimes very difficult to see.  Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please add the option to change the color of the Healing Brush and Clone Tool outlines like we can change the color of guides. Working with B&W images these tools can be nearly impossible to see, which causes significant eyestrain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In last updates I'm having problem seeing circle brush (paint and healing) cursor when working with colors similar to cursor grey (grey, teal or brown midtones for expamle).
Sometimes cursor flashes to white, but for very short time and very randomly.
So it's really hard to see where I'm just gonna paint, clonestamp or heal.

It is really annoying and tiring.

{Thread renamed by moderator}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michal,

Sorry to hear that the cursor is hard to see in Photoshop, could you please try enabling "Legacy compositing" located in Photoshop's Preferences > Performance, then relaunch Photoshop and let us know if it helps?

Regards,

Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi Sahil, unfortunately it doesn't help, it's still same

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may be a long standing issue.  In Photoshop 2020, a brush cursor can be very hard to see.  The outline of the brush cursor is very thin.  When brushing between light and dark backgrounds, the cursor will change from white to black or black to white.  I assume this is to improve contrast.  However, sometimes, the very thin brush cursor outline blends with the background is extremely hard to see.  Brush cursors for cloning, spot healing, etc perform this way.   Is there a setting to control the brush cursor thickness, color, or other characteristics to make it more visible? 

In the older 2019 thread for this topic, it was mentioned that is a problem for 4K displays. My desktop display is a 4K Dell.  I did not see the issue on my lower res notebook.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My vision isn’t as good as it once was and I’m having trouble finding the cursor in Photoshop due to low contrast. This problem would be easily resolved if I could assign a contrasting color to the cursor but that doesn’t seem to be possible. Curious if there’s a solution for this problem. Anyone know?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2020 Jan 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought this would have been an easy fix for adobe. I have the same problem and no one seems to know how to correct it. It is almost impossible to retouch with it. I have to keep switching back to CS5 for close cropping and sometimes retouching. Frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running both Photoshop CS5 and 2020 on a Macbook Pro with High Sierra. The cursor outline for brush, eraser and healing brush totally disappears in the mid-tone ranges when using 2020. Yet, in CS5, the cursor works fine.

Spent quite some time with Adobe support (even using screen sharing) to resolve the problem but could not find an answer. Tried resetting prefs and graphics to no avail. Adobe support is looking into this but have not heard back yet.

Hopefully someone has found a solution for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The healing brush and other brushes often disapear when working on photos - making it hard to find on the screen. It would be nice to be able to control the color or brightness of the circle on brushes so that it can be rapidly found on the screen. Am I the only person that has found this extremely annoying?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jan 17, 2020 Jan 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too!!! You are definitely not suffering in silence.

A good workaround when you loose the brush is to press the spacebar, so you get a larger cursor ,then you can let go and carry on with the located brush.

If Adobe could give us an option to increase cursor size/colour that would be great. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 17, 2020 Jan 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That might work, but a pain in the but as it severely impedes the work flow. If Adobe could let us switch to white or black outline with a simple keystroke or, as you suggested, make the outline bolder, it would be a real help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 27, 2020 Jan 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As we have a new feature in the pen tool, to increase the path size and color, please lets do the same thing for Brush tool as well, it is one of the most commonly used tool in Photoshop, instead of shades of gray, lets choose the color and path size of the brush tool and make it visible while drawing all the time. the cross hair functionality does not allow to see the edges. if this feature is implemented for brush tool, it will be a great help for many retouchers around the world and helps to see things better, as without brush tool we are handicapped in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 27, 2020 Jan 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thers the mouse pointer option to "show location of pointer when you press the CTRL key"

Its been in every version of windows since 98

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2020 Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you must be joking... do I have to press CTRL all day just because adobe engineers canť make visible cursor? apparently you have no idea what is it to be working with midtones images all day

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 03, 2020 Feb 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got the excat same problem, it's amost useless. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, the display of my cursor (white or black circle) in the Photoshop brush tool is hardly visible on neutral areas because I think my screen is 4k and the pixels are smaller. How to solve this problem ? I made a video for you to see the problem... https://photos.app.goo.gl/WQDPxbZaSaucjnrh7 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 21, 2020 Feb 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using photoshop for nearly 30 years, and the brush tool is almost unusable in the most recent versions. In the past, the cursor was always easy to see, not it disappears into the artwork. It is intolerable and easily fixed, go back to the way it worked for the last 25 years!!!!!!!!.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 09, 2020 Mar 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having a LOT of trouble seeing the cursor, especially when the marquee tool is activated so the cursor is only a tiny, dark crosshair. When I have the brush activated at least it's a circle and I can enlarge the brush to see it better, but when trying to make a marquee selection I can't see where I'm going at all! It doesn't seem like it used to be this difficult! I'm on an HD but NOT 4k screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate