• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Brush stroke to path. Not the other way around.

Participant ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is a brush stroke already a path? If so I'm not finding it or able to select. What exactly is Brush tool? I found 100's of videos to stroke path, but nothing for other way around. Illustrator doesn't have the half tone brushes I want and desire, so I'm trying to make my own from already existing brushes I have in photoshop. 

Photoshop isn't allowing me to use direct selection tool on a single stroke from a brush so I can save the path as AI path. My goal is to make a path from from PSD brush to AI. I found a video. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdpTbnoEsvA&t=26s&ab_channel=Graphicxtras.com

What one person suggested in the comment would work great. 
"Usage of raster images as Illustrator brushes it is not the best idea. Quick selection of the black area in PS > make path > export paths to iilustrator > open path in AI > save as brush. This way help you save resources of your mac and avoid questions like 'wtf this lag man'"

Any help would be appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2021 Jul 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»Is a brush stroke already a path?«

No. 

»What exactly is Brush tool?«

That is a Tool used to paint with pixels. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2021 Jul 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What one person suggested in the comment would work great. 
"Usage of raster images as Illustrator brushes it is not the best idea. Quick selection of the black area in PS > make path > export paths to iilustrator > open path in AI > save as brush. This way help you save resources of your mac and avoid questions like 'wtf this lag man'"

• make the stroke

• load it as a Selection by cmd-clicking the composite Channel in the Channels Panel 

• Select > Inverse 

• from the Paths Panel’s flyout-menu: Make Work Path 

• File > Export > Paths to Illustrator or select the subPathItems and copy/paste them to Illustrator 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines