• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can all visible colors be represented on a single map in photoshop or other digital software?

Explorer ,
Jul 19, 2021 Jul 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it maybe could. here is my reason.

1.for example HSL color model, the S and L can be in one element : Lightness. (I guess, maybe it is wrong)

2. Lightness change from 0% to 100%, so S and L change from 0% to 100%

3. the H change from0 to 100%。

so, I think all visible colors can be represented on a single map.

but I am not sure about it , so I want to ask the Professional Help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Moderator moved from Using the Community (forums) to Photoshop.]

HSL = Hue, Saturation & Luminosity (brightness).

RGB = Red, Green & Blue.

RGBA = Red, Green, Blue & Alpha Transparency

CMYK = Cyan, Magenta, Yellow & Key (Key denotes black in print).

Color Converter Chart:

https://www.w3schools.com/colors/colors_converter.asp

Hope that helps.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would doubt it, since digital images are quantized by nature, whereas the eye is continuously variable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By “map,” are you looking for a diagram of the color range visible to the human eye, such as the diagram of the CIE 1931 color space?

If that’s the kind of “map” you’re looking for, you can interactively examine it and other color spaces in 3D, using software such as ColorThink Pro or Apple ColorSync Utility that comes with every Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2021 Jul 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the“MAP” means a 2D "plane". I just want to know: whether a 2D plane can Reproduce all visible colors in theory

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, I say no. A digital image can only have discrete values. The human eye does not. Increasing the bit depth, or using floating point values will increase the precision, but the possible values will still be limited to retional numbers. The eye  could see a color "in between" the colors. Suppose you could se a color that would corespond to, say, 78 + π in the Green channel. The closest you could get digitally would be 81 or 82, not 81.1415926535897932384626433832795 . . .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something like this you could probably recreate at large scale in Photoshop.

JainLemos_0-1626729591851.png

Color Perception (gsu.edu)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OSX’s ColorSync Utility will display 3D plots of different device color spaces—to represent a color space you would need a z axis as well as x,y. Adobe Photoshop CIELAB is used as a translation space for making conversions between device profiles, so Lab would be close to what you are looking for:

Screen Shot 4.png

Here is typical monitor display (sRGB) compared to Lab:

Screen Shot 5.png

And here is sRGB compared to typical print output (USWeb Coated SWOP). The spaces intersect—some colors can be printed but not displayed, and some colors can be displayed but not printed:

Screen Shot 6.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines