• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I change the location Photoshop CS6 saves embedded files?

New Here ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right now it's saving them in the system's temp folder and I want them to be saved in the same location as the Photoshop file that contains the embedded files.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Images that are embedded are stored inside the document where they are embedded.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So why is it that the all the embedded psd files show up in C:\Users\AppData\Local\Temp?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @PFCMCL 

The embedded files should only show in the temp folder when you open them to edit them. What are the dates and extensions you are seeing in the temp folder? Can you open any of those files?

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

agh, sorry, I deleted them. They were taking a lot od space on my drive. I used to think that those files were saved somewhere separately. Now I know they're included in the sme file. What confused me is that sometimes I'll download a mockup file online and it includes two files. The main one (#1) and another one where I can place a logo (#2). From the main file, I double click a layer and it will open file #2. I edit #2, save the file and the changes will show in file #1.  I thought #2 was an embeded file, but I guess not?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@PFCMCL wrote:

\From the main file, I double click a layer and it will open file #2. I edit #2, save the file and the changes will show in file #1.  I thought #2 was an embeded file, but I guess not?

When you double-click a layer and it opens another file, PS is opening a Smart Object. Read about SOs here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/create-smart-objects.html

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, Photoshop writes lots of stuff to Temp. But nothing it wants to keep. Embedded images are - well - embedded. Naturally, when editing it may need to unembed a copy, seems plausible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you give us more informations what are you talking about? Some screenshot can be helpful too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what kind of screenshot I would send you. Just that the embedded psd files dhow in the C:\Users\AppData\Local\Temp folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The files should be temporary, otherwise, use linked instead of embedded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only have CS6  : /  No linked file with my version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines