• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can only save as limited file formats on completely random files

Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran into this issue today on both of my machines with a variety of files. For some reason, totally at random, I can only save files as psb, PNG, or TIFF. Sometimes there are a few more options but never beyond 6 file formats or so. None of the files in question are anywhere near large format and are mostly web size. I've tried files from the past and the same issue occurs. Images pulled from the web tend to be okay. Also, creating a new file seems to allow me to save in all formats. This is occuring on both of my machines under the same Adobe account (desktop and laptop). 

Photoshop is currently up to date. I've rebooted, uninstalled and re-installed Photoshop, and reset preferences to no avail. I'm at a complete loss. As an example below, here is an 800px wide image that only gives me a few options. Any insights into this issue?  

2021-05-18 14_54_49-Cassette Tape.psd @ 100% (Layer 0, RGB_8) _.png

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

It's not random at all. If your file contains items that are not supported in your required format (e.g. layers or 16 bits/channel or hidden pixels) then the file format is moved to the Save a Copy command. This was driven by changes in the Mac Operating System, although the changes are applied to both Mac and Windows versions to keep them aligned.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new.html

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not random at all. If your file contains items that are not supported in your required format (e.g. layers or 16 bits/channel or hidden pixels) then the file format is moved to the Save a Copy command. This was driven by changes in the Mac Operating System, although the changes are applied to both Mac and Windows versions to keep them aligned.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new.html

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Dave. Interesting. Was this something that was rolled out in the most recent update? I just began noticing this issue today. I don't really understand the nuances of these changes through Mac OS, but is it normal that some of my files previous to the update will just need to be saved as a copy from now on as opposed to simply using "Save as"?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I just created a new 72 dpi image and dragged a few images in. I needed to use "Save as copy" as opposed to "Save as" to save a JPEG. Can we not save layed files as JPEGs anymore by just using the "Save as" feature?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it changed in 22.4 whichvrolled out this week

That is the point. Layered files are not preserved in jpegs. So jpeg is moved to Save A Copy if the file contains layers (or is 16 bit or has hidden pixels ... .)

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Dave. Thought I was going crazy. Much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines