• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't Create a layer mask? Always greyed out no matter what

Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2017 Feb 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep trying to create a layer mask but no matter what layer I try to perform the action on, the enable layer mask is ALWAYS greyed out. It's so annoying and this might result in me refraining to purchase Photoshop. Please somebody help me!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Feb 16, 2017 Feb 16, 2017

Enable Layer Mask from the Layer menu does not create a new mask - it turns on an existing one that had been turned off. It's greyed out because your layer doesn't currently have a mask, so there is nothing to enable.

To create a new layer mask, select your layer and click the Layer Mask icon in at the bottom of the Layers panel.

Screenshot 2017-02-16 15.52.38.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Apr 14, 2020 Apr 14, 2020

If a user comes to this discussion because of a greyed out add layer mask button, like the one highlighted on onthe layer panel, one should update to Ps 21.1.2, it fixes this very issue: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/fixed-issues.html#photoshop-desktop-fixed-issues

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Enable Layer Mask from the Layer menu does not create a new mask - it turns on an existing one that had been turned off. It's greyed out because your layer doesn't currently have a mask, so there is nothing to enable.

To create a new layer mask, select your layer and click the Layer Mask icon in at the bottom of the Layers panel.

Screenshot 2017-02-16 15.52.38.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! You are a lifesaver

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome. Enjoy getting to know Photoshop, and stop by here with any questions - there are lots of good people on here who will  be glad to help you along. 

You might also consider some online training sites, like Lynda.com. Photoshop is a powerful program, but the learning curve can be kind of steep.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2023 Jan 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi. [abuse removed by moderator], as everyone knows this. Some users might want to know, why is the option grayed out for an existing mask. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 14, 2020 Apr 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If a user comes to this discussion because of a greyed out add layer mask button, like the one highlighted on onthe layer panel, one should update to Ps 21.1.2, it fixes this very issue: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/fixed-issues.html#photoshop-desktop-fixed-issues

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2020 Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just started having the issue with the layer mask on. I am using PS 22.0.1. The problem started with the upgrade to PS 22.0.1.

How do I revert back to the previous version or is there another fix?

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2020 Nov 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue in 22.0.1. None of the Vector Mask alternatives are available via the Layers Panel. Is there a workaround?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, can you post a screenshot showing the layers panel, the properties panel, the titlebar of the document, and the document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the offer of assistance! Yesterday Google taught me that I have to convert shape layers to smart objects before I can add a vector mask to that layer. I'm now moving on to the next issue I encountered: My vector mask is being inverted when I create it in the new smart-object layer and I need to re-invert it or "teach" Photoshop not to invert it in the first place. I'm new to the vector/smart-object aspects of Photoshop but I WILL conquer the enemy of ignorance and in doing so, enter the inner sanctum of Photoshop's vector zen. Or bite the bullet and lease Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regarding inverting a vector mask, it turns out the causitive issue is the path operation chosen when the paths underlying the vector mask are created. See this YouTube for the details: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dA6WEDu38k

Tip on how to quickly and easily invert layer and vector masks in Adobe Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines