Can't open MOV file in Photoshop CC 20.0.5 Mac

Explorer ,
Jul 01, 2019 Jul 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to open an mov file for editing. I have tried multiple different files using both File/Open and Add Media from the Timeline. In all cases the program grinds for a long time and then comes back with  "Could not complete your request because the video file could not be opened."

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct Answers

Adobe Community Professional , Jul 04, 2019 Jul 04, 2019
Thank you for the video. It's HEVC, which is not supported by Adobe CC yet, I think. If I export it to MOV from QuickTime (with HEVC option unchecked), it will create H.264 MOV. Then encode this to H.264 MP4 from Adobe Media Encoder. The resultant MP4 will open in Photoshop. I know this is not elegant at all and you don't want doing it. Hope someone knows a better way.

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jul 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2020
For Iphone  go in iphone, go to Settings > Camera Tap Formats and change from “high efficiency” to “Most compatible” also in Iphone xr Go to Settings > Photos. In the TRANSFER TO MAC option change from  “keep original” to “automatic "to mac settings in Iphone XR from “original” to “automatic” and transfers the old videos to Desktop again, this should convert them as well,

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop is for images mate a Mov file is video, owned by Apple and aimed at older software like Flash

you will need a codex to play the file in any media playing software and assuming you have a codex installed i.e, it plays then you could use Adobe Premiere to edit it

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2020 Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop edits video and has for at leat 7 years Mate.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How else do you think you make easy gifs?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How large is the video clip?

I made a short (7sec) .MOV file and I was able to open it in Ps via File>Open

When I've tried to work with large clips, I've ran into issues. Longer clips would work better in Adobe Premiere.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file I want to edit is quite large - 70 GB. But I have tried tiny ones of only a few seconds and 200 MB. I have used PS successfully in the past to edit mov files, but since the most recent upgrades, can no longer get it to work

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should mention that I have also tried mp4 files, with no luck

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 02, 2019 Jul 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried and I can open 4GB MOV instantly, but 70GB sounds a bit excessive. Can you create a smaller MOV (using QuickTime Player if you have no video editing software) and try again?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I mentioned, I've tried, 200 MB, 1 GB, and 2 GB mov files. None will open.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you open your MP4/MOV in other software like video player?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, of course, they work fine in Quicktime.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 03, 2019 Jul 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you send me a MOV file you can't open by any chance? (A small one )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 04, 2019 Jul 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here is a download link to a file (300 MB) DSCF8041.MOV - Google Drive

At this point Lightroom is also broken and won't import any video files. It seems that people have been complaining about this problem for many years.

Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 04, 2019 Jul 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the video. It's HEVC, which is not supported by Adobe CC yet, I think. If I export it to MOV from QuickTime (with HEVC option unchecked), it will create H.264 MOV. Then encode this to H.264 MP4 from Adobe Media Encoder. The resultant MP4 will open in Photoshop. I know this is not elegant at all and you don't want doing it. Hope someone knows a better way.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @Kenneth Kawamoto  thanks for your suggestion! I've also tried this and it doesn't work. I0m using the latest Photoshop version on a M1 Mac 😞

Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 14.52.14.pngScreen Shot 2021-07-06 at 14.52.03.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you DM me your MOV file (you can chop it in QuickTime to make it smaller)?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try the Adobe Media Encoder, it will solve the problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2019 Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had the same problem. Via System Preferences > Security & privacy > Files & folders I allowed Photoshop access to my iCloud folder ”Documents” and after that everything worked fine. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me!!! Thank you so much!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2020 Jan 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still not working on Mac in versions 20.0.8 or 21.0.2. Works fine in Windows, version 20.0.6 using the same video file. It's a bug in the Mac version.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I had the same problem when I did a screen recording via QuickTime and tried to import to Photoshop. After 10 minutes of frustration I found out that the FILE NAME WAS THE PROBLEM because it was directly saved as 'Screen Recording 2020-01-22 at 1.34.18 PM.mov', so I just changed the name of the file to 'asd.mov' and it worked.

GUYS MAKE SURE THAT FILE NAME IS NOT CRETING THE PROBLEM.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2020 Jan 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure you're onto other things by now but I'm curious...you're using Mac -you automatically have iMovie as part of your operating system for free. Why are you wanting to edit large video files in Photoshop other than maybe to touch up -if that's even possible. I use Final Cut Pro X & Apple Motion 5 but iMovie is a dandy and extremely robust app designed FOR mov editing. Cheers. xoxo

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2020 Feb 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm having the same problem except on Windows 10. I'm creating timelapse videos using HEVC H.265. They play just fine on the Windows player. But, when I try to open it in PS CC 2020 for adding audio, I get an error saying the file can't be opened. It's not a big deal. I can go back to H.264. But, I'd like to experiment with higher resolution availability.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Iphone 

1. go in iphone, go to Settings > Camera
  2. Tap Formats and change from “high efficiency” to “Most compatible”

also in Iphone xr Go to Settings > Photos. In the TRANSFER TO MAC option change from

“keep original” to “automatic "to mac settings in Iphone XR from “original” to “automatic” and

transfers the old videos to Desktop again, this should convert them as well,

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2020 Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has helped me: Adobe referred me to this thread, but it is not acceptable for me, because I could already open my mov file and therefore do not buy the encoder, because Adobe suggests it. Adobe has helped me: I have reset my PS version. I duplicated the file and put it into the documents folder. PS could open the file without any problems. I don't know if the reset was necessary.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines