• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't save as JPG; most file types are missing from save options

Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most of the file type options are missing from my save menu. I cannot save JPGs unless I choose the 'Save as a Copy command. If I choose 'Save', or 'Save As...' I only see options to save as PSD, PSB, IFF, JPF, PNG, TIFF. I've noticed that for some files, I only have PSD, PSB, and TIFF. 

I have my project set to 8-bit, RGB Color.

I use photoshop regularly and this problem just started yesterday. The problem persists with all new projects I create. 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Dec 26, 2021 Dec 26, 2021

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Adobe have change how the Save As function works in version 22.4, so assuming you're on that version take a look here.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new/2021-4.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the answer Ged,

I wonder what rocket scientist thought this was an improvement? This creates extra steps and introduces a new workflow action into what has been a standard for decades. Sometime I think Adobe changes things just to screw with us little people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 04, 2021 Jun 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My thoughts exactly!

There are times when I'm processing a huge order for the lab and have to save over 2000 photos in a week. Now I have two extra steps just to save my images.

Seriously????? What was someone thinking?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 06, 2021 Jun 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are times when I'm processing a huge order for the lab and have to save over 2000 photos in a week. Now I have two extra steps just to save my images.

If you process 2000 images a week and use the Save As-dialog to create copies off of them all individually you should seriously consider using the automation options Photoshop has offered for a long time now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»Now I have two extra steps just to save my images.«

Also: What are the TWO extra steps? 

Removing »copy« seeems like one step, hitting cmd-alt-S instead of cmd-shift-S does not constitute an extra step. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, c.p. is spot on.

These jpegs are leaving your system, right? You're sending them out?

Then just keep an "outbox" folder wherever you want. Make an action to save to jpeg to that folder. Since an action can contain whatever it takes to make the file acceptable to the jpeg spec, there is no need for Copy. Just Save. Close original without saving. Batch that action from Bridge.

Next time a client calls, select your files in Bridge, start the batch and make a cup of coffee.

Collect your 2000 files, which will not have "-copy" in the name, ship.

Done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the idea, but sadly, the nature of my workflow doesn't allow me to batch process the images into a folder. Each order is unique and must be handled as a TIFF and saved in various sizes as a JPG.

The BEST solution for all of this is for Adobe simply put flattened options like JPG and PNG back in the save as menu?  Then we don't need to come up with a workaround.

We are talking about the simple process of SAVING IMAGES! This SHOULD NOT require multiple FREAKING steps. UGH!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then you just batch per client. How can that possibly be more work than saving the files out individually?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@clints65309981 wrote:

The BEST solution for all of this is for Adobe ....

I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but you may have to look at the "second best" solution offered by @c.pfaffenbichler and @D Fosse. Even if you were able to convince Apple to change their OS and/or Adobe to revise their solution, it won't be instantaneous. You need a workaround for the here and now, and that's all we can assist with since we are volunteers.

This is a user-to-user forum. If you want to leave a message for Adobe, you can do that here where the developers will see it:
https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/photoshop/save-as-formats-have-disappeared-photoshop-22... 

To leave a message for Apple developers, you can do that here:
https://www.apple.com/feedback/macos.html 

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2021 May 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot... your post did help me... and I can again save my work in all the formats that I need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try File > Save a Copy. (Assuming you are using 22.4.0, that is.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this same error.  It's on and off.  Doesn't happen all the time.  It's so frusturating.  Is there a fix???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ctrl+alt+S

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They screw something that is just fine for years, while they never address the laggy performance of the software.

I assume you guys doing Save As by pressing shortcut, right? Simply modify the Keyboard Shortcut. Remove the shortcut for Save As, and instead, now apply the legendary Ctrl+Shift+S shortcut to the menu Save As Copy.

Simple workaround without needing to adjust our muscle memory again. 

Let's see what's next menu or command that will be screwed by Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2021 May 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did so... Save copy... and in my case dfidn´t work !!! I still casnnot save in jpg format... onle if I go to raw camera... but I cannot save the editiopn work done in photoshop... a total mess...!!! and I pay every month fior this software

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Adobe,

I do NOT understand why this change was made.  This is HORRIBLE, and it adds two unnecesary steps to saving images.  I have worked in TIFF for layers and then saved to JPG for my lab for over 20 years, and now I have to go through and re-name EVERY file I save as a jpg so it has my customers name without the word "copy" as part of the file name.

I often have to save over 2000 files a week for the lab when doing memory mates, and now I have TWO EXTRA STEPS just to save my photos! 

SERIOUSLY????? I don't understand why anyone thought this was a good idea. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE give us back the "save as" command for saving our photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have worked in TIFF for layers and then saved to JPG for my lab for over 20 years

By @clints65309981

No you haven't. Direct save to jpeg has only been possible since Photoshop CS5.

"Save As" now lists only the formats that support all the current properties of the file. All other formats, with limited support, are now moved to "Save A Copy".

Apple removed the API that allowed Photoshop to strip "-copy" from the filename. With the new API, Photoshop is forced to finalize the filename before entering the Save dialog. That filename has to contain "-copy", because it is a copy. If it wasn't a copy, your original file would have to be overwritten as a flat 8 bit file to satisfy the jpeg specification.

This is not a bug or mistake, but a deliberate security policy from Apple. It was changed in the Windows version too, to maintain platform parity. It has to work the same on both platforms.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Progress sucks sometimes, especially when necessitated by recent OS changes.  It's adapt or get zapped, your choice.  I prefer to adapt.  So I use File > Export > Export As > JPG or Save as Copy.

What's all this fuss about Save, SaveAs and Save as Copy?

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/explained-what-s-all-this-fuss-about-save-saveas-and-save-a...

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 26, 2021 Dec 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy - please tell all at Adboe that this is terrible.

I need the option to save what I've done in photoshop as a jpeg. I can always save a copy of the psd file by using the shortcut Ctrl S so why not always give me the list of options of file types?

Makes no sense.

Also, when I save as a copy it adds the word 'copy' to every file name. This also makes no sense.

Terrible change.

Please change it back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 26, 2021 Dec 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines