• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't save to JPEG

Engaged ,
May 03, 2019 May 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI, I am trying to save as JEPEG, from PSD, but file turns out as PSD, repeated many many times, still as PSD. Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 03, 2019 May 03, 2019

Is not the layers that is causing the issue, you will still be able to save a layered PSD file as a merged JPG image but, as I’ve mentioned, it must be 8 bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see your PSD file is 16 bit — change it to 8 bit (the JPG format only supports 8 bit).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2021 Jun 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this. It was hard to find a clear answer. I have edited hundreds of images in lightroom and never ran into this issue until emailing myself a picture to upload to social media on my desktop. When I saved the image from my email it was a jpeg already. After editing the picture in lightroom I couldn't convert it back to jpeg because it switched to 16bit RGB. Can you help me understand why this only happened in this instance?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2021 Jun 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I should mention this is the first picture I edited that I took with my own camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The image seems to have layers, and the jpg format doesn't support that, so it has to be saved as a copy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed "As a copy" checked by  default and I thought it was doing it for me, actually it was unavailable?

i'll remove the layers and it should work. I think i have saved as JEPEG, PSD with layers before, and it removed the layers automatically, but, has been a long time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is not the layers that is causing the issue, you will still be able to save a layered PSD file as a merged JPG image but, as I’ve mentioned, it must be 8 bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2019-05-03 at 23.53.11.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-03 at 23.58.01.png

Flattened image

As soon as I choose save as JEPEG  - "as a copy" is being checked  and the warning comes on

JEPEG is properly saved

Screen Shot 2019-05-04 at 00.06.47.png

and it turns into a PSD, sorry I am not getting there

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry i didnt read you before posting let me figure

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why don’t you read the text in the dialogue box, for the third time you need it to be in 8 bit!

By the way, always keep a copy of your layered psd file in case you need to return to it to do further adjustments to it subsequently, ie don’t flatten it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the part you're missing: your original file, with all the original data, is still open and unsaved.

Nevermind the jpeg, that's been dealt with. But what do you want to do with your 16 bit/layered/whatever data that you still haven't saved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that the original is still open, I have done PS for over 10 years, so it's probably age, moved to 8 bits and still turn into a

PSD,

PSDScreen Shot 2019-05-04 at 00.26.21.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, got it. I seem to recall a MacOS bug to this effect. Anyone?

edit: ...but just to be clear, the jpeg specification basically supports nothing at all. Almost anything you do in Photoshop will bring it outside the jpeg spec, not just layers and 16 bit depth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what about the "CS6 Extended trial" has a bug, and my real PS just downloaded that I can't bring to the dock because the trial won't let the real one sit on the dock?

No, I didn't save JEPEG data to the original "still open", because i would have hope to have that in the new JEPEG, but since you told me, I  saved the original into a JEPG as well. It didn't work and stayed a PSD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this article doesn't say good things about PS CS6 with Sierra, the properly downloaded CS6 with the workaround mentioned below may work, as soon as the trial ends

https://blog.conradchavez.com/2016/06/16/macos-10-12-sierra-will-adobe-software-work/#preCC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens here is that Photoshop saves out a jpeg copy, because the jpeg spec doesn't support layers or 16 bit depth. Note that this is a branched-off copy, a separate file.

The original is still open! Photoshop never discards data without asking you to save it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 04, 2019 May 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the forum.

That answer has been posted about four times – it's worth giving a quick glance at previous posts before posting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 04, 2019 May 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Derek I ll let you know what happens after the Extended trial expires - 9 days - also I should read more carefully the article posted by myself. In the mean - time my yosemite mac is being repaired so I'll post some JEPEG for those still warning about the 16bits/layers. Terrified.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines