• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot import pdfs ??? Have the latest Version of PS

Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been running into this difficulty recently. I cannot load (certain types of pdf) 

The only I can get over this obstacle is to reset all my settings on exit. I do this (and I can import the pdf but then after a period I get the same issue ie cannot import pdf into photoshop

It seems like PS is not responding then I have to force quit the application

Anyone know what the issue may be

Im using the latest version

Thanks in advance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 22, 2021 May 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Test Screen Name wrote:

"Photoshop knows to Import PDF files, as PDf is Adobe's universal exchange format."

No, I disagree. A huge number of problems come from the belief that it is a format for exchange. It is a format for sharing information. This leads to the idea that Illustrator must edit PDF files, for example, which is damaging and confusing.

Well, to get technical: if you want to edit something you should edit it in native format. Illustrator is not a PDF editor, even Acrobat does a poor job with this. A PDF file should be send to a rip for final output.

This said, Photoshop can handle PDFs, but either can only display the content or rips it into a raster file and you have nothing different than you would have by scanning a print (besides, and this only for the very precise here, the artefacts you introduce by this way).

And, to be precise, in this discussion we do not know the rational behind this, but I assume from what I know know, that it is kind of: I do as I always did and nobody complained until now.

But Photoshop knows how to import PDF files as it does this regularly when you embedd an Illustrator file or similar. And I embed often Illustrator files as most of the logos I glue on photoshopped equipment are Illustrator files. So, sometimes ther is a good reason and rational behind. 

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

His is a strang/odd PDF. 1 Page with over  1400i mages

Capture.jpg

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JJMack,

When you have InDesign, you print your work to the distiller printer, the resulting PDF will look like this. This is because the print engine used is a Postscript one and Postscript does not handle transparency. So images with alpha channel will get cut into slices to get the job done. The same or similar slicing happens when you export to an early PDF format version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capture.PNG

This is what I see is happeneing 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CC 2018 is not the latest version... which is again proof that we should ask for the correct version numbers.

However, 2018 should probably also digest this PDF without problems... Maybe you should tell us the first few lines of Photoshop's System Info (under Help). Please only the first lines...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks I have also the latest version and it happens on that also. When I'm back in the office I can take a look 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2024 Jan 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE: instead of dragging and dropping on the icon in my dock, i tried using OPEN and all PDFs are greyed out. see attachment. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you provide the pdf? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@David28902994rzdp please post on the current 2024 version post related to this issue and not multi-post resurrecting years old threads for the same issue.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/not-compatible-with-this-version-of-photosho...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines