• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot open 17 year old .tif file

Participant ,
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This 100mb .tif file was last modified in 2004.  "Could not complete your request becasue it is not the right kind of document" error in PS 2020. Use an older version of PS?  Change the extension? Use a different program?

thanks for any suggestions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

First, does it have a file extension? If not, then add it and try to open it. If it already has an extension, then I would try an older version of Photoshop to try and open it Was it previously saved in Photoshop or a different program?

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is/was a .tif file, as mentioned.  It does not open in any Windows picture viewers or as a PDF, all get the same message. I have only used it is PS. I am thinking it is an Adobe compatibility issue, being a 14 year old file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But my question is does the file have an extension on it? Sometimes, older computers did not put file extensions on files and so newer computers do not recognize them. When you try to open the file, does the dropdown menu in the Open dialog box say: All Readable Documents?

Screen Shot 2021-06-29 at 11.56.27 AM.png

Another troubleshooting thought: Do you have InDesign? Or another page layout program like QuarkXPress? Both of those programs will place a tif file, and if you can place it in one of them and see it then the file is readable.

If that doesn't work, then you might also try a Graphics Converter program--there are several on the internet.

Let us know if either of these work,

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@RAB123 I'm wondering if you have tried any of those steps yet? They seem like a good place to start! Are you able to see a preview of the image in file explorer preview panel or icon view in Photoshop's open dialogue? If not, it could be the file is corrupted when last saved and you may need to look for some type of recovery software or online instant TIF/TIFF image recovery tool? Just be sure to use copies when you attempt any of these things!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried .jpg and .tiff did not work.  I had .tif open in CR by default and that is where i got the error, but get the same error when opening in PS. I am thinking it is a Adobe compatibility issue. I dont have older copies of PS anyway so cant try those. It worked fine the last time I used it, no reason to think it is corrupt unless, you know, Adobe compativility problems. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@RAB123 People here have older versions (I can run PS CS6) and someone may want to attempt recovery if you want to share a Dropbox link. I don't know if that's allowed here or not and it's totally up to you if you want to publicly share the contents of a file. You could use the PM feature, perhaps. I know that people have shared files here before for public help but as I mentioned, that's all up to you. Another idea is wondering if you can place the file in another Adobe application such as InDesign or Acrobat and then extract it from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its corrupt, thats the reason most programs give for not being able to open it.  Thanks for helping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See if one of the Graphic Converters can open it? Here is a link to a page I found for you: https://www.lifewire.com/free-image-converter-software-programs-2622865

It's free. It's worth giving it a try.

Let us know if it works?

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 30, 2021 Jun 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

not working

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines