• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photoshop 22.4 - Missing Save as formats from the menu

New Here ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to the mentioned version and the formats dropdown list only shows 3 formats: Photoshop (*.PSD;*.PDD;*.PSDT), *.PSB and TIFF (*.TIF;*.TIFF).

jane-e_0-1620929274567.png

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

If your file contains items that are not supported in your required format (e.g. layers or 16 bits/channel) then the file format is moved to the Save a Copy menu. This was driven by changes in the Mac Operating System, although the changes are applied to both Mac and Windows versions to keep the two aligned.

What's new in Photoshop

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Hi All,

We appreciate your feedback on the recent “Save a Copy” change. To address your concerns, we have created two new options in Photoshop 22.4.2 that will enable both revert to the legacy “Save As” workflow and/or omit the addended “copy” when saving as a copy. These options can be found in the File Saving Options section under Preferences > File Handling.

To quickly summarize, you will now have the option to revert to the legacy “Save As” workflow (from before recent changes) on both macOS

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jul 09, 2023 Jul 09, 2023

Hi all

You may already know that flatted file formats have been relocated from the "Save as" menu option to the "Save as Copy" option in Photoshop. To learn more about this workflow update, please refer to the following quick tip: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/learn-how-to-save-all-file-formats-from-photoshop-s-save-as-dialog-quick-tip/td-p/12933468?cgen=ZFN4FD71&mv=other

Or see this video tutorial link

Hope it helps,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 830 Replies 830
Community Expert ,
May 16, 2021 May 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They do. Notice how effectively and quickly Steve Jobs killed Flash? There wasn't anything wrong with it, he just didn't like it for some reason. And nobody ever questioned it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 16, 2021 May 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good point, Dag.

Steve Jobs' highly-publicised open polemic "Thoughts on Flash", back in 2010, clearly explained why he didn't like it. That was the beginning of the end for Flash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a royal pain! Not a smooth workflow! Apple can run and jump at itself!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@margaretw65488533 

Here is the feedback site for Apple: https://www.apple.com/feedback/

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Workaround:

Click File > Export > Export As > select JPEG file option 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 31, 2021 May 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I know there are workarounds, but they are all ridiculous! The old Save for Web should no longer be considered as "Legacy"!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

In additon to save a copy there are workarounds

1.Click File>Export as, then you  can expot the file as jpeg without renaming the file as copy (shortcut key for windows (Alt+Shift+Ctrl+W))

2.Click File>Export>Save for Web legacy short cut  (Alt+Shift+Ctrl+S)

3. In some cases if it is a tiff file, you can rename the extension to jpg 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mamangvtel68360 wrote:

In additon to save a copy there are workarounds

Actually, all you need to do is download PS 22.4.2. 

In the update to 22.4.2, you can now revert to the previous behavior in Preferences > File Handling > File Saving Options:

• Enable Legacy Save As
  • Do not append Copy

See this help page for details and cautions:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/saving-images.html  

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, my gosh, Jane! If I could reach through my computer and give you a big hug, I'd do it! You made my day! Thank you!

Margaret

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 12, 2021 Jun 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@margaretw65488533 wrote:

Oh, my gosh, Jane! If I could reach through my computer and give you a big hug, I'd do it! You made my day! Thank you!

Aw, you've just made my day, Margaret! 😊

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is great news, thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my gosh Jane! You've solved a problem thats been driving me nuts! Thank you so much 😊 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Margret

The workaround that I posted was for old version of ps 22.4.1. I would kindly suggest you update your photoshop to the latest Ps 22.4.2 so that you won’t need to save a copy for jpeg file.

Please follow this article, it will make your workflow much easier

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/cannot-save-to-jpeg/m-p/12108288#M552772

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/saving-images.html

With regards

Mamang S Vaiphei

[html code removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My images were all able to be saved as JPEG however now when i goto "save as" the jpeg option is not there. I have not changed camera and the file sizes are the same etc so unsure as to if its something to do with the new update. Please do not tell me the file sizes arte too big as they are exactly the same sizes as they were previously, unless PS has now redused the file size able to be saved as a JPEG in which case what a joke...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your file contains items that are not supported in your required format (e.g. layers or 16 bits/channel) then the file format is moved to the Save a Copy menu. This was driven by changes in the Mac Operating System, although the changes are applied to both Mac and Windows versions to keep the two aligned.

What's new in Photoshop

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing had changed at all, it was set at 8bit with RGB color, it had a background copy and a curves layer nothing I would assume would be not supported. But the save copy thing has worked, dont know why they had to change to that but hey ho... il know for future. Until it changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»it had a background copy and a curves layer nothing I would assume would be not supported.«

jpg supports none of that. 

jpg accepts the Background Layer and no other Layers. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry to hear about this. Really it is a very stupid change. PS is not a good choice for dummies, for proof usage this "improvement" is only time waisting reveranve to MAC.

By the way: ofter last update PS hang-up when I drag layer from one window to another.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»Really it is a very stupid change.«

Considering all the people who destroyed layered files by paying too little attention when saving pdfs that seems debatable. (edited)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Considering all the people who destroyed layered files by paying too little attention when saving pdfs that seems debatable"

That is another benefit of the new Save As /Save a Copy split. There was a hidden "gotcha" in the old method where saving a PDF without compatibility then, without closing, using Save As to save the same document as PSD. This unchecked the layers in the save dialogue and lost all layered work. There have been many threads on this over the years. Now with Save a Copy it doesn't happen - Save a copy as PDF then use Save As to save the main doc as PSD and all is preserved.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok. You convinced me:) Let it be. I can live with this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Really it is a very stupid change"

The change was driven by changes in the Mac operating system and Adobe had no choice but to address it. It was applied to Mac and Windows versions to keep them aligned - the last thing we want is the two versions to diverge to the extent that you need to save one way on a Mac and another on Windows.

In reality though the change does make a lot of sense. If a file format can save all the content of your document it appears in Save As. If it cannot keep all the content and saving would lose some of that content (e.g. layers, bit depth, hidden pixels after using crop without deleting cropped pixels..etc) then it appears in the Save a Copy menu.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but now the files can't be saved in batches becuase of these changes? When working mutiple images and having to save as a copy for both PSD and JPEG for each individual image is a waste of time. How and When are the image processor in scripts going to be fixed to still work with 16 bit images? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the open image CANNOT be saved as a jpg (possible reasons: absence of Background Layer, Multiple Layers, 16bit, …) you can save a copy via 

File > Save a Copy

Feature summary | Photoshop desktop (May 2021 release)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. The PSD file in question for me is a template that I've been using for over a year. The only that changed was an update from Adobe. I used to be able to save as a jpeg from "Save As" but now I have to save as a copy? It slows down my process and since I work in a fast pace environment I can't be slowed down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines