Cannot save to jpeg

New Here ,
May 16, 2021 May 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just downloaded Photoshop 22.4 and now I cannot save my files to jpeg!

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct Answers

Adobe Community Professional , May 16, 2021 May 16, 2021
Hi @moqui  Use the new command in 22.4: File > Save a Copy. You will also see a Save a Copy command button in the Save As dialog. ~ Jane

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional , May 16, 2021 May 16, 2021
The Save As dialog now only shows formats that support all the current properties of the file. Jpeg basically supports nothing at all except a flat, 8 bit pixel array. Almost anything you can do to a file in Photoshop will place it outside the jpeg specification. Use Save A Copy. This was done to circumvent a policy change in MacOS Catalina. Since Apple didn't want to change it, Adobe had to find a way to work around it. So Save A Copy was added as that workaround. It lets you directly save t...

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional , Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021
@mamangvtel68360 wrote: In additon to save a copy there are workarounds
Actually, all you need to do is download PS 22.4.2.  In the update to 22.4.2, you can now revert to the previous behavior in Preferences > File Handling > File Saving Options: Enable Legacy Save As Do not append Copy See this help page for details and cautions: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/saving-images.html   ~ Jane

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @moqui 

Use the new command in 22.4: File > Save a Copy. You will also see a Save a Copy command button in the Save As dialog.

~ Jane

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane, thank you. So what do you save a photo as - PSD, PSB, or TIF? Can a photo with any of these extensions be converted to jpeg to email it?

Sent from MQD

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@moqui wrote:
Jane, thank you. So what do you save a photo as - PSD, PSB, or TIF? Can a photo with any of these extensions be converted to jpeg to email it?

Sent from MQD

You're welcome. Save the layered file as either a tiff or psd. Use psb if it is too large for psd.

Then use the new File > Save a Copy to save a jpeg to email. Keep the file with layers in case you need to make changes, then make a new jpeg from the original.

~ Jane

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 31, 2021 May 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I prefer using the old Save for Web (that should no longer be classified as "Legacy"). The command Save a Copy adds "copy" to the file name, which is undesirable.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Save As dialog now only shows formats that support all the current properties of the file. Jpeg basically supports nothing at all except a flat, 8 bit pixel array. Almost anything you can do to a file in Photoshop will place it outside the jpeg specification.

Use Save A Copy.

This was done to circumvent a policy change in MacOS Catalina. Since Apple didn't want to change it, Adobe had to find a way to work around it. So Save A Copy was added as that workaround. It lets you directly save to all other formats, while leaving the original.

Actually, this reverts to how Photoshop originally worked - only then you didn't even have Save A Copy. If you, for instance, wanted to save a layered file as jpeg, you simply couldn't, there was no way - for the simple reason it's not allowed in the jpeg specification. You had to get rid of all the offending properties before you could save.

The ability to directly save a jpeg-copy-on-the-fly was introduced sometime around CS4. But with Catalina, that function didn't work properly anymore (as evidenced by about a million threads over the last year or so), hence this necessary change.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So Apple rules the world.... even for us Windows users??

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They do. Notice how effectively and quickly Steve Jobs killed Flash? There wasn't anything wrong with it, he just didn't like it for some reason. And nobody ever questioned it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good point, Dag.

Steve Jobs' highly-publicised open polemic "Thoughts on Flash", back in 2010, clearly explained why he didn't like it. That was the beginning of the end for Flash.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a royal pain! Not a smooth workflow! Apple can run and jump at itself!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@margaretw65488533 

Here is the feedback site for Apple: https://www.apple.com/feedback/

~ Jane

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Workaround:

Click File > Export > Export As > select JPEG file option 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 31, 2021 May 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I know there are workarounds, but they are all ridiculous! The old Save for Web should no longer be considered as "Legacy"!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

In additon to save a copy there are workarounds

1.Click File>Export as, then you  can expot the file as jpeg without renaming the file as copy (shortcut key for windows (Alt+Shift+Ctrl+W))

2.Click File>Export>Save for Web legacy short cut  (Alt+Shift+Ctrl+S)

3. In some cases if it is a tiff file, you can rename the extension to jpg 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mamangvtel68360 wrote:

In additon to save a copy there are workarounds

Actually, all you need to do is download PS 22.4.2. 

In the update to 22.4.2, you can now revert to the previous behavior in Preferences > File Handling > File Saving Options:

• Enable Legacy Save As
  • Do not append Copy

See this help page for details and cautions:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/saving-images.html  

~ Jane

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, my gosh, Jane! If I could reach through my computer and give you a big hug, I'd do it! You made my day! Thank you!

Margaret

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 12, 2021 Jun 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@margaretw65488533 wrote:

Oh, my gosh, Jane! If I could reach through my computer and give you a big hug, I'd do it! You made my day! Thank you!

Aw, you've just made my day, Margaret! 😊

~ Jane

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is great news, thank you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh my gosh Jane! You've solved a problem thats been driving me nuts! Thank you so much 😊 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" /><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 15 (filtered medium)" /><!--<br>/* Font Definitions */<br>@font-face<br> {font-family:"Cambria Math";<br> panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}<br>@font-face<br> {font-family:Calibri;<br> panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}<br>/* Style Definitions */<br>p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal<br> {margin:0in;<br> font-size:11.0pt;<br> font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}<br>a:link, span.MsoHyperlink<br> {mso-style-priority:99;<br> color:blue;<br> text-decoration:underline;}<br>.MsoChpDefault<br> {mso-style-type:export-only;}<br>@page WordSection1<br> {size:8.5in 11.0in;<br> margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}<br>div.WordSection1<br> {page:WordSection1;}<br>-->

Hello Margret

The workaround that I posted was for old version of ps 22.4.1. I would kindly suggest you update your photoshop to the latest Ps 22.4.2 so that you won’t need to save a copy for jpeg file.

Please follow this article, it will make your workflow much easier

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/cannot-save-to-jpeg/m-p/12108288#M552772

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/saving-images.html

With regards

Mamang S Vaiphei

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines