• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot use Define Custom Color.

Contributor ,
Jul 08, 2021 Jul 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Render>Picture Frame function, what would cause Define Custom Colour to be greyed out? I am working with an 8-bit image.
Adobe Photoshop Version: 22.3.0 20210302.r.49 660cd2e x64
Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 09, 2021 Jul 09, 2021

"Define custom colors" does not do what you think it does! This is a standard Windows dialog (now obsolete), and this is poor design that often confuses people. It is not part of Photoshop and cannot be controlled by Adobe. To add a custom color

1. Click on one of the custom color positions

2. Choose the color you want by numbers or clicking on the color map

3. Click Add to Custom colors.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, …) and the dialog visible? 

Why are you using Photoshop 22.3.0? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated this evening to Photoshop Version: 22.4.2 20210602.r.242 a4f6042 x64 -- no change.
The attached is a mock-up of what I want to do. As you can see, I can choose a Basic colour and make it a Custom colour, but I cannot use Define Custom Colors. The Eyedropper does not appear when I try to pick up a colour from Swatches or from the image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 09, 2021 Jul 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Define custom colors" does not do what you think it does! This is a standard Windows dialog (now obsolete), and this is poor design that often confuses people. It is not part of Photoshop and cannot be controlled by Adobe. To add a custom color

1. Click on one of the custom color positions

2. Choose the color you want by numbers or clicking on the color map

3. Click Add to Custom colors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 09, 2021 Jul 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for letting me know that what I was trying to do was not possible. Not knowing the software limits always leads to wasted time. I guess  RGB values must be determined before using this function, if  an exact match to image colours is required. I could have done this with fx, but the I thought that this would be quicker.

On a non-Adobe note, if this function is obsolete, I wonder why some bright spark at Microsoft does not make the suggestion to deprecate it and replace it, or re-jig it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines