Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changing the filename in Photoshop Action

Explorer ,
Jul 30, 2009 Jul 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I couldn't find any tips with regards to how to use a "syntax" to rename the file just before "saving as" or "saving for web" options in PS.

To understand what I'm trying to achieve, please let me describe the case on the example below:

I have the file "picture.jpg" (1024x768)

What I'm trying to do is:

- Resize the image down to size 800x600

- Save it in the same folder using "save for web" as "picture_large.jpg"

- Resize the image again, this time down to size 600x480

- Save it in the same folder using "save for web" as "picture_medium.jpg"

So after the first step in my action I need to add the suffix "_large" and after the third step I need to add the suffix "_medium".

Is it possible?

Thanks

t0ny

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can specify naming conventions in the Safe for Web and Devices dialog by customizing the settings. This includes a variety of options, from slice numbering to custom prefixes/ suffixes. Actions as such cannot change names, but they record dialog settings, so if you call Save for Web with your custom settings, naming things differntly will be possible.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

don't use Save for Web & Devices with the Batch command because it cannot override the save location/name from that command. Use File->Save As instead and resize your images with Image->Image Size or File->Automate->Fit Image

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

whole point for saving for web is to keep transparency intact though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 31, 2009 Jul 31, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your repllies, unfortunately I can't achieve the 100% result using your suggesitions (I learnet a bit anyway ).

- When using slices, I'd have to rename slice everytime I resize the picture as I need diferent suffix for every image size.

- Suggestion to use "Save as" instead "Save for web" doesn't resolve my problem either, as what I'm trying to achieve is to store one image with all the diferent image sizes in one folder.

I guess perfect solution would be if I could change the filename using some syntax which could look like:

change current file name from [name] to [name]+"_medium"

But I believe this is not possible.

Thanks very much anyway and of course if there are any other suggestions I'll be happy if someone could help.

t0ny

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you need that kind of control, a script probably could do it. since we're talking merely standard commndas, this can't be more than a few lines of code... I'd ask on the scripting forum if someoen can slap together something quickly or provide a link to an existing resource.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, thank you very much. This would be very, very helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd be curioius if anyone has any update to this posted question 12 years later. Has Photoshop included a simpler way (without the need for a script) to create multiple sizes of the same image and have each file have a different name (ex: file-small.jpg, file-medium.jpg, file-large.jpg) and have them all be saved inside the same folder? It seems like Adobe would / should have some simple way to achieve this, assuming a lot of people would find this useful. I realize this thread may be dead, though if anyone stumbles upon this page like I did and has an answer, please do share. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Image Processor Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines