• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Ability to disable double tap automatically aligning of Clone tool

LEGEND ,
Nov 24, 2014 Nov 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I first reported this problem I was told it was because my wacom tablet was old, my computer was out of date etc. Now I have a brand new computer and a brand new wacom tablet and still if I am not careful my clone tool goes automatically alined when I select an area to be cloned the box ticks itself I can see it happen if I accidentally tap the pen twice in quick succession to the tablet when making a selection. Now this may be okay for you younger people with your steady as a rock hands but no matter how careful I am this is still happening by accident to me. Some may see it as a feature me I would just like to be able to turn it off.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
55 Comments
LEGEND ,
Dec 09, 2014 Dec 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

One thing that is bothering since forever is when working with the clone stamp tool and accidentally clicking twice when picking the source that is automatically activates the "same offset for each stroke" option. Unfortunately double-clicking again with the alt key doesn't reverse it so I have always have to go up in the option bar and deselect.

I see a certain use for that function but most of the time I rather not have it being active while stamping.

As far as I know there is no way to disable that behavior. Anyone else feeling the same about it?

Adobe... how about a tool tweak?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 20, 2017 Aug 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My biggest problem with Photoshop is my love hate relationship with the Clone Stamp Tool.

I will be working with the aligned box unchecked and all of a sudden it is checked. This happens constantly!

How can I make it remain unchecked unless I want to check it?

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Aug 20, 2017 Aug 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the clone tool and reset from left end of Options bar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 21, 2017 Aug 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I almost daily reset all the tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What have you done for general trouble-shooting so far?

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried to find a solution on the internet; reset all preferences several times.

Suggestions really appreciated; this is a major PIA as I do a lot of cleanup of all my images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not noticed anything similar on my set-up.

Does it affect the Healing Brush Tool, too, or only the Clone Stamp Tool?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only the CST!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this suggestion by ACP Jeff Arola:  Help with clone stamp tool non-aligned option

In photoshop if you inadvertently double click while pressing Alt/Option to set the clone source, align will get checked.

Your mouse settings regarding double-click speed might need to be adjusted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I saw that article. I never when cleaning an image have a reason to press both options. I do press Alt when working with sizing.

A definite conundrum!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In photoshop if you inadvertently double click while pressing Alt/Option to set the clone source, align will get checked.

Nice one, didn’t know that.

Unfortunately it does not seem to go the other way, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JDGould  wrote

I almost daily reset all the tools.

Wow.  That's not good.  Do you still have the problem?

Are you using a tablet, and if yest, which one?

Which operating system are you using?

What version of Photoshop?

I wonder if it is a tool preset issue?  If the clone tool defaults to a preset that has Aligned turned on, then selecting a different tool and coming back to the clone tool, might make it go back to it's default tool preset.

Select the Clone tool and open the Tool Preset panel and see if you have anything set up for that tool.  If you don't, then the idea is shot down in flames, but you might be able to fudge a fix by making a tool preset.  I just tried making one and closing and reopening Photoshop, and the Clone tool remembered the preset.

If you are still having the problem, then I have a vague thought about tablet drivers lurking in the back of my mind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using a 13" Mac Book Pro Retina; I have the Adobe subscription so LR and PS are always up to date.

I created a preset with a 100 soft brush. I then change to a 200 and checked the box. Next I hit the present and it went back to 100 unchecked.

The issue is that if I am working with a brush other size and the box auto checks I can't use the preset to uncheck because I don't want a 100 brush.

I would love to get someone from Adobe to join in as this is a problem that needs to be fixed; not a bandaid preset.

Thanks for all your assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2019 Mar 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Inadvertently double-clicking while holding the option key(on a mac) switches the clone tool to sampling from an aligned source.  This is problematic when retouching and sampling from a limited area. When retouching all day it is not unusual to be clicking rapidly hundreds or thousands of times a day.  It's frustrating to be cruising along and suddenly things aren't coming out right and you have to go back in history. By the way, it only goes one way.  Option-double-clicking does not uncheck the aligned box.

Please set up a way to disable this or configure it with an additional key command (shift-option-doubleclick) so that an action that is normally performed hundreds of times does not reset the tool.  We all like to sleep from time to time, but falling asleep every time we blinked twice in succession would be a problem. Double-tapping the brakes and shifting your car into hyper-drive could be problematic.  Better user interface please.

I first requested this from an Adobe rep at a Seybold show in 1995. Sorry to bug you again.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 02, 2019 Mar 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LMAO 1995 , that was photoshop 3.
They may get around to it (hopefully) around 2095, not too long more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2019 Sep 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have asked about this problem since 1995. If you inadvertantly double-click while holding down the Option key the clone tool is set to "Aligned".  I would like to turn this "feature" off or at least be able to configure another key combination.  Seeing that you are constantly using the option key to select the source, using the option key also to select alignment is bad design.  It also only goes only one way.  You can't double-click holding Option to reset it so you need to stop and go to the option bar to reset.  It woulb be as if automobile engineers said " Just press your brake once to stop.  If to double-tap, you will accelerate.  Does anyone know how to get through to Adobe for this.  It is very aggravating  when you are sampling thousands of times daily.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have asked about this problem since 1995. If you inadvertently double-click while holding down the Option key the clone tool is set to "Aligned".  I would like to turn this "feature" off or at least be able to configure another key combination.  Seeing that you are constantly using the option key to select the source, using the option key also to select alignment is bad design.  It also only goes only one way.  You can't double-click holding Option to reset it so you need to stop and go to the option bar to reset.  It would be as if automobile engineers said " Just press your brake once to stop.  If to double-tap, you will accelerate.    It is very aggravating  when you are sampling thousands of times daily.
Is there somehow a way to make Adobe aware of this?
Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You just did. This is the feedback forum.
-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 14, 2020 Jun 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You asked this question several years ago.  I hope you got an answer from someone who knew what might be going on and not from these "Forum Lizards" who jump in just to get to see their names in print.

I have had this annoying problem for a long time and it is truly irksome.  You know why, of course.  All of a sudden you realized Aligned is active because of what you're getting from the tool, you turn it off, and before very much longer, it's active again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2020 Jun 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Julian
Thanks for your note. It took several attempts to get through to Adobe about this issue. My first try was 1994 at Seybold talking to a rep from Adobe. This most recent go round was last fall as a follow up to two years previous. Between getting shunted off to the “Adobe Family” suggestion board, and several times wasting time on the phone trying to get across that I don’t need help learning how to use the clone tool.

I did get a reply that they received the “feature request”. We’ll see what happens.
If you can request a fix as well that may help. Just do’t have the key to sample be the same as reset alignment.

Best regards,

Jay Penni
www.jaypenni.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 08, 2020 Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2020 Dec 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even in Photoshop 22.0.1 this problem has not been fixed.

Adobe please fix this. I have to deselect the checkbox so many times a day.

This realy interferes my workflow.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even in Photoshop 22.0.1 this problem has not been fixed.

Adobe please fix this. I have to deselect the checkbox so many times a day.

This realy interferes my workflow.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your comment.  This is an email from a year ago, 11/13/19.

I also went through this a year before. Still no results.  It doesn't seem like a big ask, unless the code is buried so deep they don't think it's worth the effort.

Hello Jay,

Greetings from Adobe!

As you have already created a feature request. Depending on the user demand for the requested feature or adjustment to the tool in question, it might get implemented in the future updates. 

For now, we are closing the escalation ticket on the case ID: - ADB-9876304-Q0X0

If  you have any further queries please feel free to reach us back and refer to the case ID, we will be more than happy to work on this with you and your case will be followed up from there

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2021 Apr 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope the person who thought it was a good idea to enable "Aligned" for the clone tool by holding option and double-clicking but neglected to add a way to turn it off with the same shortcut spends eternity in Hell unchecking the "Aligned" box.

Please Adobe, for the love of all that is holy, add an option to prevent this behavior in Photoshop preferences!

Votes

Translate

Translate