• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Color is messed up on export to jpeg

Community Beginner ,
Jun 04, 2021 Jun 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I attached a few examples, both are using sRGB in Photoshop (left side), and exported as sRGB jpegs with the profile embeded (I tried without embedding as well). 

As you can see the levels and saturation is quite different, I have no idea what's going on. Any ideas?

Screenshot 2021-06-04 144419.pngScreenshot 2021-06-04 144630.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 04, 2021 Jun 04, 2021

Windows "Photos" is not color managed and ignores both the document profile and your monitor profile. It will never display correctly, ever, under any circumstances. How close it is depends on the monitor you're using.

Photoshop can always be trusted as long as you have an accurate monitor profile, which you should preferably make with a calibrator. If you rely on manufacturer profiles, these are often inaccurate or defective in various ways.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to mention that they are TIFF scans from a Plustek scanner & Silverfast 8, if that's relevant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows "Photos" is not color managed and ignores both the document profile and your monitor profile. It will never display correctly, ever, under any circumstances. How close it is depends on the monitor you're using.

Photoshop can always be trusted as long as you have an accurate monitor profile, which you should preferably make with a calibrator. If you rely on manufacturer profiles, these are often inaccurate or defective in various ways.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting thanks! Good to know

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 06, 2021 Jun 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm the browser (Chrome) also shows what Photos displays, which seems a bit odd, I don't understand what I'm doing wrong I've never had this issue in the past, although I was working on a Mac before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone else have ideas? Browsers should be displaying sRGB as I understand, however, exporting as sRGB w/ profile embedded is still doing nothing, the images are far too saturated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've seen many cases where Chrome's color management is broken. I don't know why. It's supposed to be fully color managed and display identically to Photoshop. But sometimes it doesn't.

I use Firefox, which has always been very reliable. The only catch is that you need to go into the settings and set color management to mode 1 instead of mode 2 which is default. Mode 2 color manages correctly as long as there is an embedded profile, but not if the profile is missing. Mode 1 assigns sRGB in all scenarios, so that it always displays everything correctly.

One thing to note, however, is that browsers generally don't have multi-display support. They will use the monitor profile for your main/primary display as set in the OS, even if it's on another screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Weird thanks! I'm really surprised devices and browsers are still in such a sad state for color management, maybe it's an outrageous expectation to see more or less similar colors and tones on devices these days but it's a bit shocking that Chrome doesn't even try haha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I've never had any problems with this, everything works reliably and predictably on my two Windows systems. And I use wide gamut monitors exclusively, so any problem would be an instant show-stopper.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I guess that's why I'm super confused, it seems like something that should absolutely be a non-problem these days, I must have some setting wrong, but it's basically all Photoshop defaults

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Maybe you have a bad/broken/defective monitor profile, see my first post.

Are you using a calibrator? If you expect accurate color, that is an absolute requirement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines